Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:37 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ35 vs Sony HX5v

I am planning to buy a camera as an upgrade to my old Canon. I have narrowed down my choices to Panasonic FZ35 and Sony HX5. I have read the features and have seen pictures from both cameras. Both of them looked good to me. I am not a camera expert. So i need some help in selecting between these two cameras.

I want the camera to take good quality pictures outdoors and also take some decent pictures indoors.

I also want nice HD videos. So a comparison between the FZ35 and HX5v video quality would be very helpful.

For the HX5, is the GPS really that useful?. What about the sweep panaroma and Twilight modes?.

If the size difference between these two cameras is not an issue, which camera is the best buy here?

Since the FZ35 and HX5 is now almost in the same price range, i am confused on which camera to buy.

Some insights from the experts or opinions from anyone who has experienced using both these cameras will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.
John_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:14 PM   #2

JohnF-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you drooped by.

If size is not an issue, go for the 14 ounce Panasonic FZ-35 and you will get a 28mm wide angle, and be able to reach all the way out to 500+ mm. I own both cameras, but if push came to shove between the two, and image quality was the absolute priority, I'd head toward the FZ-35.

Just be aware that if Panasonic adheres to their usual introduction schedule, then the Panasonic FZ-35 is due for replacement in late Summer 2010. However, the high tech toys of the HX5 are fun. and the newness will last longer.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:57 PM   #3

The FZ35 is the better cam for IQ as Sarah Joyce already pointed out. I think the GPS is very useful for some (backpackers, frequent flyers maybe) and virtually useless for others (people who want to tag a photo at the local park "just because they can"). The video on the HX5 is a mixed bag.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:35 PM   #4

Hi John,

I started a thread with the same question
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...onic-fz35.html
and decided to go with the FZ35.
check for sample pics, links etc.

Didnt like the picture quality of the HX5 but you may like it. Also the menu is not as easy to navigate and doesnt offer as many options as the panasonic.

The FZ35 has , during filming, a issue with vertical streaks / blooming which can be controlled with a ND filter. The Sony has no problems with bright lights or reflections.
I don't have any use for the GPS really.

Unless the size is an issue I recommend the FZ35. Mine should be delivered soon and I will ad my pics / finding to the folders on here. Weight of the FZ35 is surprisingly light when picked up, looks much heavier then it is. Frys / Frys.com - check for locations- has them in store in case you like to handle one before purchase.

Martin
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:26 PM   #5

Hi Everyone!,

Thank You! for all the replies.

I need a camera with high IQ. Since all of u have pointed out that the IQ of FZ35 is better than that of the HX5, I am now strongly leaning towards the FZ35

I just have a few more questions

Is there any noticeable difference between the 720p and 1080i HD video formats?

Which one do u think performs better under low light conditions?

@mamuco

Can the filming issue with vertical streaks / blooming of FZ35 be avoided by using the lens hood instead of an ND filter?.Does the ND filter affect picture quality?

I will check out the FZ35 at my local Frys soon.

Thank you! once again for all your valuable information.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:33 PM   #6

JohnF-

The vertical streaks and blooming, which occur more in the ZS7 than the FZ-35. Those artefacts can be eliminated by not filming either nearly or directly into the direct sun or a powerful light source.

Whether you can see the difference between 720p and 1080i really depends on how discriminating you are in viewing the video. You must keep in mind that a high quality dedicated video recorder will always produce better video quality, especially onder low light conditions.

The high ISO capabilities of the FZ-35 top out at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:23 PM   #7

Thank You! for replying Sarah Joyce

I know that the FZ35 offers a lot of manual controls.

Since am no camera expert, could you please tell me the best settings for taking optimum low light indoor photos. Does putting it on iAuto yield good results or are their any tips or tricks regarding the PASM modes to get nice images.

Also, somewhere in the forums i read about decreasing the resolution of FZ35 to increase the zoom up to 30x. Is this increased zoom optical zoom?. Have any of you tried doing this?

My friend suggested a Sony HX1 today, I have never given it a thought till now.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the HX1?. If so, could you please share your opinions on it. Is it better than the FZ35?.

Thanks is advance.

Last edited by John_F; Apr 15, 2010 at 5:00 PM. Reason: Need Opinions about Sony HX1
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:53 PM   #8

Looks like Sarah Joyce beat me to it

I don't have a FZ35 yet to test the light problem, just head it on my ZS3 some times.

To me the videos in 720p from my ZS3 look just fine on the computer, haven t viewed them on a big screen TV yet. I think as long as your video is really sharp and clear there should be no problem. And as Sarah said, it not like the output from a dedicated camcorder.
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:38 PM   #9

johnF-

For low light level shooting with a FZ-35, you get the best results by:

(1) Using the "P" for Programed Auto

(2) Setting the ISO to 800

(3) Using spot focus, and spot metering

(4) After taking a few test photos, roll in some Minus Exposure Compensation to correct for the correct facial tones. It will usually take EV-0.7 at least to get the facial exposure correct and therefore the correct facial tones.

I recommend that in the interests of better image quality, that you not use the "IA" Mode.

The HX-1 is a whole separate issue. It is a good camera. It was Sony's first CMOS imager P+S camera, introduced in the early Summer of 2009. Take a look at the Sony P+S Folder, please. I have a whole thread on the HX-1 camera. And yes, I do own a HX1. The new Fuji HS-10 uses a more advanced and newer CMOS imager than the HX1. There are multiple threads on the HS-10 in the Fuji P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
johnF-

For low light level shooting with a FZ-35, you get the best results by:

(1) Using the "P" for Programed Auto

(2) Setting the ISO to 800

(3) Using spot focus, and spot metering

(4) After taking a few test photos, roll in some Minus Exposure Compensation to correct for the correct facial tones. It will usually take EV-0.7 at least to get the facial exposure correct and therefore the correct facial tones.

I recommend that in the interests of better image quality, that you not use the "IA" Mode.

The HX-1 is a whole separate issue. It is a good camera. It was Sony's first CMOS imager P+S camera, introduced in the early Summer of 2009. Take a look at the Sony P+S Folder, please. I have a whole thread on the HX-1 camera. And yes, I do own a HX1. The new Fuji HS-10 uses a more advanced and newer CMOS imager than the HX1. There are multiple threads on the HS-10 in the Fuji P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
Thank You! for helping out with the manual settings.

I still have that question regarding the zoom. I read somewhere that if u reduce the resolution of FZ35 to 3 mp, it will achieve a zoom of 30x range. Is this enhanced zoom, an optical zoom or just a digital zoom?.

Since you have used both HX5 and FZ35 cameras. Could you please give a comparison based on the videos shot with the HX5 and FZ35. Which one did u think was more good?.