Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
It's a difficult feature to use at best with a DSLR. They have small viewfinders and unless you're using a larger aperture lens wide open, the viewfinder, in addition to being small, is very dark making it tough to see what is and isn't in focus. Also, since you can review images immediately, DOF preview becomes even less useful.
I'd still rather see it in the viewfinder than zoomed on a 3" LCD display.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:12 AM   #12

On the DOF preview, I'm with jrseeney - I found it next to useless on aps-c cameras. But I'll admit I never used it much with film or with my aps-h camera either.

Anyway - nothing about your types of shots lends itself to one system or camera over the other. Every dslr system out there and every model you're considering will do well. Picture QUALITY will not be substantially different among them without pixel peeping. What you may find is that the default settings in each provide a slightly different version of things. So color representation will be slightly different. All in all, this is a case of - you can't make a wrong choice.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:30 AM   #13

sirwired-

You have received some excellent information. And I also agree that, just as JohnG stated this is a matter where you cannot make a wrong decision.

You mentioned camera and lens size in one of your past posts. Have you considered the Micro 4/3rds cameras? That would surely reduce camera and lens sizes, and I believe that finding and handling a camera like the Olympus EPL1 would be fairly easy for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:21 PM   #14

I did look at the E-PL1, along with the GF1 and GH1.

The requirement to pay extra for an EVF on the E-PL1 and GF1 is one notch not in their favor.

Also, while the system may be better once it matures, the lens selection is really not that great yet. The only long-zooms right now are PanaLeica, which means you are stuck paying for the IS, even on the internal-IS Oly bodies. And the prices for even a short kit zoom (if bought separately) are not encouraging.

I figure I already have a compact camera (the FZ35 on-order) that will do okay for most (if not all) situations in which a small, compact, unit is required.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:29 PM   #15

It might be therefore wise, sirwired-

...to stay with the Panasonic FZ-35, until you more fully evaluate if the FZ-35 will indeed fill your entire needs.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
It might be therefore wise, sirwired-

...to stay with the Panasonic FZ-35, until you more fully evaluate if the FZ-35 will indeed fill your entire needs.

Sarah Joyce
When I said that the FZ35 would work for most situations in which a compact camera is desirable, I was referring to things like birthday parties, etc., where a DSLR is simply silly-looking overkill. I'm not looking for the world's finest photographs in these situations... (my wife takes most of the candids at parties and such, and she has no interest in "graduating" to the capabilities of a DSLR.) If I was looking for high-quality photos in those situations, a m4/3 camera certainly would be on my short list. (The E-PL1 or GH1 would almost be a lock-in. The E-PL1 even more so if that planned super-zoom tests out well.)

There are plenty of situations in which a DSLR is perfectly appropriate that the FZ35 won't do what I want it to. Specifically, I need the ability to crank that shutter speed up without the result becoming a noisy mess. I need better manual focusing abilities so I stop staring at razor-sharp images of fences and twigs. I need the ability to attach a bigger flash if I want to take indoor pictures more than just short-range shots. I'd like better dynamic range. Faster focus would be nice too.

I know that the FZ35 will be a vast improvement over my FZ5. It'll have fewer "misses" on exposure, the telephoto range is longer, the resolution higher. But it is still held back by the inevitable compromises introduced with a sensor the size of my pinky fingernail. For $300, it has amazing abilities, but it isn't going to work miracles it wasn't designed to address.
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:49 PM   #17

OK, sirwired-

I can easily accept that because I too shoot with super zooms, M4/3rd, and DSLR cameras. Here is how I solved the need for a bigger zoom on the EPL1. I use a Panasonic 40 - 200mm lens which works just fine on the EPL1, and does not require an adapter, and it gives me the equivalent of 80mm to 400mm in 35mm terms.

I purchased the Panasonic 40-200mm lens on E-Bay for $230.

Sarah Joyce