Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:45 PM   #1

Default Need a new point and shoot

My Nikon Coolpix 5900 just died and I need to replace it. I am looking for a point and shoot with at least as good photo quality and preferably better. I would like a better zoom as well. I am not as concerned about price as I am quality and ease of use, that said I'd prefer to stay at $400.00 or less. My photos are primarily friends , family and general outdoor and travel pictures. I am overwhelmed with information from surfing the web trying to choose. I appreciate any guidance that those who know much more can provide. Thanks...
Elmojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:52 PM   #2

elmojunior-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Here are a three compact zoom camera on which to begin your search. The low price winner is the Sony H-20, which is now getting hard to find. The H-20 has the best Automatic Mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class of cameras. The H-20 does not have a wide angle position on it zoom, which ranges from 38mm to 380mm, giving you 10X optical zoom. The H-20 has an unbelievable Flash Range of 20+feet, while most typical compact cameras only give you a Flash Range of 6 feet to 14 feet. The H-20 also shoots HD video, and you can zoom while filming. The H-20 sells for around $260.

The H-20 is hard to find because it has been replaced by the HX5 model selling for $349. It is also a 10X optical zoom camera with a range of 25mm to 250mm in 35mm terms. The HX5 is high ISO capable, and does well at ISO 1600. It also has numerous unique features like the Hand Sweep Panorama, The Twilight Mode, and the HDR/Backlight Mode. The HX5 shoots HD video and can zoom while filming. It also has GPS and a compass, and offers geo tagging.

The Canon SX-210 has 14mp and 14X optical zoom, ranging from 28mm to 392mm, in 35mm terms. It has a unique 16:9 LCD screen, does HD video that allows zooming while filming, and is selling for $349.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:07 PM   #3

Elmo, B&H Photo has the Panasonic FZ-35 for 303 and free shipping in the US. Check the Panasonic forum here for opinions and pics. If you care here's a link...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...p&A=cart&Q=add

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4

Robert has made an excellent camera suggestion-

My only qualm about recommending the Panasonic FZ-35/38 now is that there will be a replacement for the FZ-35/38 in Summer 2010 which is very close at hand.

I own and use the FZ-35 extensively. It is a very good camera, and it is now at its lowest selling price since its introduction in Summer 2009.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:08 PM   #5

Thanks to all who posted advice, it really helped me narrow down my choice. Went out to look with a short list, and long story short, I bought the Sony HX5V. It just felt solid and intuitive and is the best size for my needs. I almost went with the Panasonic, but I just know I will use this camera more often and it fits my needs better. Thanks again...
Elmojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:12 PM   #6

Congratulations, ElmoJunior-

The Sony HX5 is an excellent choice. You might want to look in the Sony P+S folder. We have a very long thread there on the HX5 and tips, techniques, and photos.

Sarah Joyce