Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:45 AM   #11

What you want to do is tough. I've had good luck shooting in available light with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 on a stabilized body, and that might also work well for you. While the shots I've taken have been in rooms with consistant (albeit low) lighting, and you'd be shooting in dark rooms, the subjects would be illuminated by stage lights (I presume) so that lens might work well for you too. That lens on that body might be a little over your $1,000 budget, but it will do a much better job that anything less expensive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:30 AM   #12

Thanks everyone!! Will let you know what I decide...

If anyone has the two cameras. Pentax k-x and one of the superzooms, I'd be very interested to see a side-by-side picture so that I can get a sense of how much bigger / more bulky the DSLR camera is...
ratinakage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:36 AM   #13

• K-x Body:
    • Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.6 x 4.8 x 2.7
    • Body weight Loaded and ready: 20.5 oz (lithium)
  • Tamron 17-50/2.8:
    • Diameter x Length: 2.9 x 3.2"
    • Weight: 15.2 oz
  • Total:
    • Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.6 x 4.8 x 5.9
    • Weight: 35.7 oz.
  • Nikon P100:
    • Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.3 x 4.5 x 3.9"
    • Weight: 17 oz.
  • Panasonic FZ35:
    • Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.0 x 4.6 x 3.5"
    • Weight: 14.5 oz.
  • Sony HX1:
    • Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.4 x 4.6 x 3.6"
    • Weight: 17.6 oz.
There isn't a lot of difference between the Pentax K-x body and the superzooms you're looking at. The real difference is that you also need an appropriate lens, and it will be big and heavy.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:12 AM   #14

Gocha. Thanks!!

Now leaning towards the HX1...

Seems like a great deal. From what I understand the picture quality might be a little better than the P100. Panasonic is apparently not in my country and therefore not a good option for me.
ratinakage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:12 AM   #15

ratinakage-

There is a first impressions thread in our Sony P+S folder on the HX-1. You might want to read it over. Remember, the HX1 was the first CMOS imager camera from Sony, introduced in May 2009. Today, it represents older technology.

The ISO capability of the HX1 also functionally tops out at around ISO 800. So, that does not seem to mesh very well with your original stated objectives.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:02 PM   #16

If you like low light/night photography at low or high iso in photos and HD video then I'd recommend the Panasonic FZ35/38. Sonys struggle more in low light. It has a 28-480mm Leica Lens

This was a pic I took on my FZ38 handheld using normal programme node, no post processing , straight from cam in the 1st week that I tried it . The camera selected iso 800 f3.3 in programme mode. (I like cameras that can also do all that for you). Its got a great IA (Intelligent auto mode)

You can also add acessories if you want, like with DSLRS ie polarisers, ND's, fish eye lens. Its lighter than most bridge cameras & DSLR's, which makes it great for travel & candid photography & its for less than the price of a decent DSLR lens, its abou 230 in the UK now. It also has all of the manual (as well as auto functions) that you find on a DSLR. The FZ28 is also very good , although the FZ38 beats it a bit in low light.

The HX1 has slightly less colour density & sharpness in photos, although if you like tilting backs then it has that. This may also add to its weight.

I also have a canon 5d 1, but I carry the FZ38 95% of the time , just due to weight of the body & extra lenses.

If you look on www.flikr.com you can compare the output from various cameras
My Flikr photostream , I have pictures from the FZ38 mainly ie Venice, New York etc & an Indian wedding on the FZ28 is also there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

or wait until the summer to see what upgrades come out for all the manufacturers
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalond View Post
This was a pic I took on my FZ38 handheld using normal programme node, no post processing , straight from cam ...
See Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality

Can you post a 100% crop of that photo?