Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:34 PM   #11

Thanks again.

One question, I know you have experience in a lot of differents brands cameras, HHT makes Hx5v better in low light than competitors? How are the indors with flash stills?

TZ7-TZ10-hx5v in low light indors, flash or without flash, which one is your best option?

You are a Hx5v, are you happy with it? Do you think it is the best right now in the class?

Many thanks, i read all your opinions, are very interesting.

AntoniO

Last edited by zchymalaga; Apr 17, 2010 at 3:59 PM.
zchymalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:56 PM   #12

Antonio-

Flash is precisely where Panasonic goes wrong. The ZR, ZS,and Zx series are all equipped with a very small and very weak built-in flash unit. That is why when you see any posted photo samples, they are almost always outdoor photos. The only answer is to supplement the built-in flash unit with added light from an acessory Slave Flash unit.

The built-in flash unit on the Sony HX5 is only about 50% better than the ZS7, bit it is better and you do get much better indoor image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:03 PM   #13

Default Sarah

Are you happy with your H5xv? Do you think is one of the best in its class?

I only worried about bad comparision in a few post about it is dark in videos and photos, but I can not test myself .
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:14 PM   #14

Default Mrs. Joyce

Are you happy with your H5xv? Do you think is one of the best in its class?

I only worried about bad comparision in a few post about it is dark in videos and photos, but I can not test myself .
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:46 PM   #15

Antonio-

Please feel free to call me Sarah-

The complaint of dark videos only occurs in very low lighting. Any P+S digital camera has difficulty with dark, dimly lighted photo environments. You can increase the Exposure Compensation and that does help. However, in the final analysis, only a high quality dedicated video camera can overcome poor lighting.

The video capability of the HX5 is designed for medium lighted scenes and the outdoors, it is not a dedicated video camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:56 PM   #16

Thanks for all the reccomendations... As far as price. I guess we were thinking around $250-300, but would probably be willing to go higher for more. My wife favors Canon, but we could branch out a bit. GPS tagging sounds cool since we'll be places we don't know. We don't need or care much for video. As far as form-factor I guess compact zoom was what I was thinking.

How does everyone feel about the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS? It's #1 seller on Amazon, and sounds okay spec-wise and at just $180.

The Sony DSC-HX5v looks awesome, how is the shot-to-shot delay?
chad3814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:13 PM   #17

Chad-

While the Canon SD-780 can take fair HD video, it does not do an especially good job with still photos. Personally, I would take a pass on the SD-780.

My husband and I worked on cruise ships for 15 years. If you are counting cruises, we have 608 cruise under our belt. There are plenty of photo opportunities on a cruise. I would prefer that you have the correct camera with you for your cruise.

Does a compact zoom camera mean to you a camera that you can slide into the pocket of your trousers? If so the Sony HX5 is not a bad choice, but it is $349. The HX5 has 10X optical zoom (25mm to 250mm).

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:28 PM   #18

Antonio-

I feel that the Sony HX5 is one of the better cameras in the compact zoom class. However, like any camera, a certain amount of lighting is require to take a photo. So any camera has its limits.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:10 AM   #19

Default Many thanks Sarah

Thanks for your recommendations!

You are very helpfull Sarah.

I order this weekend my Hx5v, it has many interesting features, and you and more people, upload to this forum very nice photos that convinced me

Thanks again for your time and your help, itīs really nice to talk about photography with people so kind and experienced.

When a received, I will upload my photos and share with you.

I hope to enjoy it
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:11 AM   #20

Default Panasonic FZ35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3814 View Post
My wife and I are going on a cruise this summer and want to get a point & shoot for it. She currently has a Canon 20D that we love, but don't want to lug it everywhere. The problem is we've been spoiled by the low shot-to-shot delay. Every point & shoot we try seems like molasses comparatively.

In addition to the shot-to-shot delay, we want something with at least 10 megapixels and 4x optical zoom, beyond that everything else is fairly negotiable.

Any suggestions?
I would recommend either the multi-award winning Panasonic TZ7 or Panasonic FZ38. It has a great intelligent auto mode, for when you want the camera to work out everything for you & some manual controls with a fantastic quality leica 25-300mm & its still compact. It has HD stereo video & its great in low light & for night photography, unlike most compacts on the market. It uses reasonably priced SD(HC) cards (class 6 is best, as its faster for video & burst shooting). I considered the canon s90 & LX3 but the zoom length is too short especially as I like zooming in for portraits , candid & street photography. And theres no way of just sticking another lens on for extra reach like with a DSLR or using the FZ35's 28-480mm zoom.

For more manual controls &Auto & DSLR functions & pop up controllable flash, I'd highly recommend the Panasonic FZ28 or FZ38 bridge cameras, which give you all the DSLR functions in a 454 gms camera, with a huge sharp 28mm-480mm Leica Lens which is great in low light & fast min f2.8 wide, & amazing f4.4 minimum at full telephoto. Its lightweight despite all the features. I just put mine in my messenger bag & go. I use my FZ38 cam 95% of the time despite have a canon 5D DSLR because the weight + lenses & flash on my Dslr comes to over 10 pounds. I get the same lens length without the weight on the FZ28/38. And all the zoom I need . The auto mode & Image stabilisation is very good , even at full zoom. So at times when you dont want to control aperture & shutter speed you can let the camera do it for you & the camera does it surprisingly well. The Fz's are very good value for money for all the features offered. They're smaller & more lightweight than most bridges on the market

Another advantage with the FZ's are the battery life ie 400 pics/video per charge & you can buy compatibles on amazon for approx Ģ3. This makes them great travel cameras & great for heavy shooting opportunities like weddings. You can also buy DSLR type accessories ie filters (polarisers, ND, skylight etc loads on amazon), you can get fish eye/ extra macro adapters.

I let my 7 year old nephew use it at a party in the auto mode, & he took some great shots & then declared he wanted to be a photographer when he grew up :-) so its easy to use. It has face recognition etc. I took fantastic shots at a wedding recently, most cams cant handle all lighting situations like the FZ38. If daylights too bright I can reduce exposure or add a filter. The fill in flash is good. You can increase or decrease flash power if you want

The sony HX5's & Fuji 's & other compact/bridge cameras aren't very good at low light/night photography & the lens can be a bit soft on focus, so you'll feel the drop in quality more from a Canon 20D.

I carry my FZ38 95% of the time, despite having a Canon Mark 1 for the same weight reasons you do. Use a class 6 SDHC memory card for faster video, burst writing to card. Some cards now do 15mb-30mb per second writes.

Your Canon 20d EF lenses also will still retain most of their value as people are searching for lenses for canon 5d lenses so i'm still holding onto mine.

The HD stereo video is good on the FZ38 & for less than the price of a good canon DSLR lens you'll get a good camcorder & good camera with great Image stabilisation, I get great night shots handheld, . You can also use all of the photo settings ie aperture control, shutter speed etc in the video mode. Its a fun cam & you can relax & leave it in Intelligent auto, if you want & concentrate on creativity.

Heres an FZ38 pic I took at night, handheld whilst wondering in New York, no post processing

Church again no post processing

You can see more of my FZ38 pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Just my recommendation
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote