Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:28 AM   #21

Default Low light isnt good on any of those cams except the Panasonic FZ38

Quote:
Originally Posted by archish View Post
The F80 although having HD video is poor performer than F70 in low light. The extra megapixel added in F80 kills the details at high iso. The F70 is excellent low light performer if you are willing to shoot in 5mp but you wont get HD.

The HX5v is a better compromise with HD recording and decent low light performance and IQ.
Both the HX5 & the F70-80s & the new Fuji H10s perform terribly at night. You dont have to compromise on low light in photos/videos with Panasonic FZ38

This pic was handheld with no post processing in New York. I didnt need to use scene modes. This is just auto programme mode. I just pressed the shutter.The camera worked out the setting, it selected iso 400 at f3.3 , so it didnt have to ramp up the isos & become more noisy & colourless, to get a decent shot, .This camera is also cheaper than the Sony HX5 & has a longer, leica lens 28-480mm. The Tz7 / ZS3 is also quite good.

jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:48 AM   #22

jalond-

I have a lot of Panasonic FZ experience, and your photo is a nice example of what the FZ-35/38 can do. However, I also think that it is important to note as well that the FZ-35/38 tops out at ISO 800. Above ISO 800 the noise in the photo becomes too great. So, within its limits the FZ-35/38 is a very good camera. But it is not the right choice for a user that either wants a pocket sized camera or whom is interested in shooting at ISO 1600 for most of their shots.

We should also be very fair and even handed when discussing the Panasonic ZS7. It has received recent reviews that are critical of its reduced image quality due to the increase to 14mps from the 12mps found on the previous ZS3. And the Panasonic ZR,ZS, and ZX series suffer from only fair to poor indoor image quality due to their very small and weak built-in flash units. Those cameras have an effective Flash Range of only 6 feet. That is why you hardly ever see indoor photo samples from those camera series. So, in fairness, we have to take into account all of the image quality. And the FZ-35/35's built-in flash is only slightly better.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:32 PM   #23
jrn

Hello I'm new to this forum. This is perfect timing to find this discussion. I've been getting more confused trying to find a nice camera in the sub $400 range to fit my needs. I seem to have alot of requirements on my list. Priority would be indoor pictures, I take action shots of my dogs both indoors and outdoors so burst shooting is a selling point. Sometimes I like to shoot video maybe 2-3 minutes and the ability of the Panasonic to switch out of AVCHD but still shoot in HD really peaked my interest. How bulky is a extra flash? Would this extra flash stop the camera from being purse friendly for my wife? I'm scared of Sony and swore them off 5 years ago because of their proprietary nonsense, I'd be worried I'd have to use their software to view the pictures and video. Is this the case or has Sony wised up? Also is Sony Memory Stick only, I have alot of SD cards already, but could make the swtich if the camera is indeed what I need. I would rarely if ever print a picture beyond 5x7 so I'm more worried about color accuracy over edge detail and such.

Again color accuracy over details, indoor quality, burst shooting and action shooting, video not in AVCHD. Video would be nice, but push comes to shove I can get a new camcorder to have a nice pocket camera! The Canon looks to be closest to fitting my needs, but all suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the help this forum has been educating.

Last edited by jrn; Apr 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM.
jrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:59 PM   #24

jrn-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

The Panasonic FZ-35 is currently selling for around $305, so that fits your under $400 budget. A Slave Flash is required for the FZ-35, so the size is up to you. I have attached a photo of the FZ-35 with the Canon HF-1 Slave Flash, and the composite unit is indeed small. It fits my hand bag, but I have no idea about the size of your wife's hand bag.

With the introduction of the new Sony HX5, Sony now takes SD cards as well as MS Pro Duo. You can also post process any Sony photo with any software you choose. The new HX5 is very much a pocket sized camera. You might want to take a look at our Sony P+S folder where there is a large thread devoted to the HX5 which has almost 170 posts in it as well as lots of photo samples. By the way the Sony also uses AVCHD for its HD video as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote