Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1

Default Point & Shoot Recommendations?

My wife and I are going on a cruise this summer and want to get a point & shoot for it. She currently has a Canon 20D that we love, but don't want to lug it everywhere. The problem is we've been spoiled by the low shot-to-shot delay. Every point & shoot we try seems like molasses comparatively.

In addition to the shot-to-shot delay, we want something with at least 10 megapixels and 4x optical zoom, beyond that everything else is fairly negotiable.

Any suggestions?
chad3814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3814 View Post
My wife and I are going on a cruise this summer and want to get a point & shoot for it. She currently has a Canon 20D that we love, but don't want to lug it everywhere. The problem is we've been spoiled by the low shot-to-shot delay. Every point & shoot we try seems like molasses comparatively.

In addition to the shot-to-shot delay, we want something with at least 10 megapixels and 4x optical zoom, beyond that everything else is fairly negotiable.

Any suggestions?
Hi

there are some models withe 4fs to 10fs Continuous Drive . Please check following Link.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...sctx7&show=all

you can find more informations and impressions here (in the Forum) in related posts.

good luck

Last edited by arena; Apr 17, 2010 at 8:10 AM.
arena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:56 AM   #3

chad-

Welcome to the Forum- We're delighted that you dropped by.

Rather than tossing a list of cameras at you. Let's approach this from the point of view of what might work best for you personally. To do that we have to establish so pivot points for our discussion.

What kind of budget have you established for your new camera? A Canon 20D is the current camera, so the next question has to be: do you have any particular brand of camera that you are partial to in terms of camera selection? Will you need a high ISO capability, How important is video? Must it be HD video? Will you be making large prints greater than 8" X 10" ? How about GPS and geo tagging is that required? Finally have you settled on any particular class of camera: for example, a super zoom, a compact zoom, or an ultra compact?

For the time being, we will use an assumed budget of $400 and look at the compact zoom class of cameras. The leading contenders in that class of cameras are: If you want all the bells and the whistles, the Sony HX5. It has 10X optical zoom (25mm to 250mm), 10 mp using a new CMOS imager, is capable of high ISO shots, and shoots HD video, and has GPS, all in a pocket sized package. The Sony HX5 sells for $349.

Another contender in the class is the Canon SX-210. It has 14X optical zoom (28mm to 392mm) and 14mp. The SX-210 has a unique 16:9 format LCD screen is not as quite high ISO capable as the HX5, has HD video, but no GPS. The SX-210 sells for $349.

Then there is the Panasonic ZS7. It also has 14mp with 12X optical zoom (25mm to 300mm) It has GPS, shoots HD video and like the Canon SX-210, is not quite as capable in the High ISO department. It sell for $330. Unfortunately, the professional reviews have faulted the ZS7 for less image quality than the camera (the ZS3) that it replaced and it has an very small and weak built-in flash that adversely affect the indoor image quality.

Our "wild card" camera that might be a possibility is the Panasonic ZR1, currently featured as a special selection at Costco for just $170. It has 12mp and 8X optical zoom (25mm to 200mm) with an excellent imager processor, and an advanced Optical Image Stabilization system. The ZR1 can use up to ISO 800 consistently and ISO 1000 in a pinch. Like it relative the ZS7, the ZR1 haave s a small and weak built-in flash unit that adversely affect the indoor image quality. However, adding a small accessory Slave Flash unit costing $20 or less will return the indoor image quality to normal without any problems. At $170 ithe ZR1 is very much a bargain.

All of the cameras listed have very good image quality and have top ratings.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:50 AM   #4

I am interesting also in a P&S camera (money no matter 150 $ more or less, more important a bit more quality or features).

What your opinion about Fuji? Fuji f70 exr or the new Fuji f80 exr. Both are a lot of features, and claim better low light performance, great HDR, not bad bursnt mode... on the paper, it is the camera I would like to use.

I will appreciate your opinions.

Do you know good reviews about them?
zchymalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5

malaga-

At the $(US)150.00 dollar level you do not have a lot of choice. In the USA at the $170.00 price you have very good camera, the Panasonic ZR1 with 12 mp and 8X (25mm to200mm) zoom. I described the camera in a prvious post in this thread in detail.

At around $(US)120.00, at least here in the USA, you have the Samsung SL420. The SL420 has 12mp with 5X optical zoom. Like the ZR1 it has no optical viewfinder and you must depend on the LCD screen for framing your photos. However, the LCD screen is not very visible in bright sunshine, but very good image quality.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:29 AM   #6

Sorry for my English, I think I don´t explain good. It doesn´t matter the money, there is no problem to spend 400 or 500 USD.

The most interesting for me is good low light videos and photos, some manual controls, good bursnt mode.

I am thinking about Fuji f80 exr, similar to Fuji f70 exr but with HD video.
How is comapres Hx5v? I think have you try both¿?

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
malaga-

At the $(US)150.00 dollar level you do not have a lot of choice. In the USA at the $170.00 price you have very good camera, the Panasonic ZR1 with 12 mp and 8X (25mm to200mm) zoom. I described the camera in a prvious post in this thread in detail.

At around $(US)120.00, at least here in the USA, you have the Samsung SL420. The SL420 has 12mp with 5X optical zoom. Like the ZR1 it has no optical viewfinder and you must depend on the LCD screen for framing your photos. However, the LCD screen is not very visible in bright sunshine, but very good image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:12 PM   #7

malaga-

The undisputed ultra slim compact that does the best in low light environments is the Canon S-90. My objection with the Fuji F-70/F-80 camera are (1) they are really 5mp cameras, and (2) to get the very most image quality from either the F-70 or F-80 takes multiple small adjustments. A lot of folks don't want to keep making those multiple adjustments.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Default Difficult to choose

Many Thanks Mrs. Joyce

Ok, the only problem in Canon s90 is the video, only VGA. I would like something better.

What do you think is better, fuji f70-f80 exr or or sony hx5v? I think you have try both yourself, how is your personal experience?

I don´t mind effective 5 mpx photos, or gps. For me, the most important is the still quality and video quality, specially in low light conditions, good intelligent flash.

Many thanks

Antonio, from Málaga (Spain)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:17 PM   #9

The F80 although having HD video is poor performer than F70 in low light. The extra megapixel added in F80 kills the details at high iso. The F70 is excellent low light performer if you are willing to shoot in 5mp but you wont get HD.

The HX5v is a better compromise with HD recording and decent low light performance and IQ.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:54 PM   #10

antonia-

I would rather suggest the Sony HX5 in place of either the Fuji F-70 or the F-80 which are lower resolution cameras requiring many extra adjustments..

Sarah Joyce