Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:52 PM   #1

Default lumix ZR1 or Lumix fh20

hey, im interested in buying one of these two cameras but im not sure which is best for me... ive looked at a variety of spec reviews online but there doesnt seem to be a very big difference compared with the prices... i can buy an fh20 for 23% less (at the only shop in town that sells cameras (im in peru...) so is the ZR1 really worth the 23% price difference? what will it offer that the fh20 wont?

thanks!
matt
matt4068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:36 PM   #2

matt-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The biggest difference between the FH20 and the ZR1 is that the FH20 has a 14mp imager. The FH20 was derived from the ZR1 design. The ZR1 is a 12 mp camera. The zoom between the two cameras is not exactly the same but very close.

The Panasonic ZS7 and the the Canon SX-210 use the same 14 mp imager as used in the FH20. In both the ZS7 and SX-210 the image quality was decreased due to a great number of small pixels being placed on the same size imager base.

So based on my own experience (I own the ZR1, and have used the SX-210) I would suggest that the ZR1 is the better choice for outdoor image quality. The indoor image quality is adversely affected by the very small and weak built-in flash unit on both cameras. I use a simple Zeikos Slave Flash to add the needed extra flash power to my ZR1. The Zeilkos Slave Flash cost $(US)16.00. I have attached a photo of my ZR1 with the Zeikos Slave Flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:09 PM   #3

hey thanks for the advice! i followed your advice but before i will buy a camera i just checked up on some more info, i looked into the zr3 and have read that when it was first released many people had a misaligned lens causing one side to be blurry... i dont know what percentage of zr3's had this and i dont know if this has been fixed.... do you know anything about this?

I checked out this gallery which compares the zr1 to the zr3 and the zr3 seems to pick out more detail and less noise, but the blur sounds horrible if its still happening...

http://www.pbase.com/oluv/image/101705193/original

http://www.pbase.com/oluv/lx3test&page=1

if a buy a zr3 i dont want a misaligned lens...

thanks! Matt
matt4068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4068 View Post
hey thanks for the advice! i followed your advice but before i will buy a camera i just checked up on some more info, i looked into the zr3 and have read that when it was first released many people had a misaligned lens causing one side to be blurry... i dont know what percentage of zr3's had this and i dont know if this has been fixed.... do you know anything about this?

I checked out this gallery which compares the zr1 to the zr3 and the zr3 seems to pick out more detail and less noise, but the blur sounds horrible if its still happening...

http://www.pbase.com/oluv/image/101705193/original

http://www.pbase.com/oluv/lx3test&page=1

if a buy a zr3 i dont want a misaligned lens...

thanks! Matt
Matt, the links you provided are not of the ZR3. They are of the LX3 which is an entirely different camera and imager that was designed for low-light performance and less noise.

I also own the ZR1 and would recommend it over the ZR3 just because the 12mp imager exhibits less noise than the 14mp imager in the zr3. It retains teh power OIS and powerful image processor. It lacks manual controls, but for a small camera with limited dof control i do not find this to be a problem.

while the flash on the ZR1 is indeed small as Sarah has mentioned, I have not found it to be significantly worse than other cameras in the class, as they all tend to be small. My tests have shown it to be perfectly fine out to about 10 feet keeping the iso around 200, which is sufficient for my flash needs in a p&s. if you need to go beyond, then of course you will need an external option as outlined in Sarah's post.

best of luck.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:39 PM   #5

And, Matt-

Costco has the ZR1 on special now for $170.00 and that is a really good deal.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote