Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
About that other topic... I recall a discussion about how sensors are getting cheaper and that full-frame will become much more affordable in the future, edging out the APS-C format. The comments made sense to me at the time, but I'm rather glad to hear that this notion is not the consensus.
Whatever may make 'Full Frame' sensors less expensive, will also make APS-C sensors less expensive. So even that argument doesn't hold up. APS-C dSLRs will always be smaller lighter and less expensive than 'Full Frame' dSLRs, and they'll always have a greater selection of lenses. What's not to like?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
There is a Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...-50+os&x=0&y=0 but it's too new for anybody to know anything about it.

The Sigma 18-50 2.8 does not come in an OS version. (Nor does the Sigma 17-50 2.8 come in a non-OS version.) Why the slightly different focal lengths for the two lenses with the same aperture? That's a very good question.

To pile things on even further, the 18-50 2.8-4.5 is stabilized, while the 18-50 3.5-5.6 is not. And that doesn't count the two different 17-70's; the stabilized version of which is a third-stop faster on the long end.

Confused yet?

SirWired
You're right. My bad. Sorry. Thank you.

But the trend toward optically better non-stabilized lenses seems to indicate that, for that application, stabilization is better off in the camera than the lens. If you want to do available light photography, you're better off with a Pentax or Sony.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:17 PM   #33

I joined this forum over 6 years ago and have never felt a need till now to post anything.

You need to stop reading these forums and go buy something, your coming across as a tire kicker. Nothing more....

Last edited by Russdawg; Apr 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM.
Russdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:00 PM   #34

SirWired finally purchased a Sony A-500 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
I joined this forum over 6 years ago and have never felt a need till now to post anything.

You need to stop reading these forums and go buy something, your coming across as a tire kicker. Nothing more....

You don't say much, but when you do, ...