Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Default FZ35 or SX20?

I've narrowed my camera choices down to the Panasonic FZ35 or the Canon SX20.

Most of my photos are landscapes and scenery especially beach scenes and sunsets/rises from the ship when I get a cruise vacation.

I've researched and read reviews for two days. I'm leaning toward the FZ35, but I'm still not completely sure.

Thanks for any input.
ChuckJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's. We get this question a lot. If you want the camera as a photographic tool without anything extra then the Panasonic has the edge, if you are looking to add an external flash at a later date to give more flexibility with both outdoor and indoor shots then go with the Canon. They really are pretty close making life tough.

One other thing, the Canon uses AA batteries (get one of the hybrid brands not standard NiMh ones), the Panasonic uses it's own battery. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and I don't personally mind either option.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:33 AM   #3

Mark, thanks for replying. I have no plans for adding an external flash. I like a little flexibility but not too much. I'll leave that to you pros. I'm mainly looking for something with a good strong zoom that will get me some nice outdoor photos.

From all of the reviews I've read it almost seems that the SX20 and FZ35 are so close that it comes down to opinion. The trouble is that I'm such a novice that I don't have much of an opinion.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Super Moderator

If you are not adding to the camera with a flash then I would go Panasonic (I have the SX1 and my dad has the SX20, but my decision was based on video and that I already had 3 Canon flash guns and my dads was based on borrowing a flash from time to time and having AA batteries), so I'm not bias towards Panasonic but it is just that little bit better if you put the 2 next to each other and don't add anything.

You will also find a huge following here of the Panasonic so can get loads of help and advice etc in our Panasonic section.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:59 AM   #5

Chuck-

We have a very active FZ-35/38 group in our Panasonic P+S folder. There is an active sharing of camera and technical tips as well as lots of posted photo samples. I have owned both the SX-20 and the FZ-35. I sold off the SX-20. I think that tells you where I stand on the choice. Mark is correct. In your case, Chuck, the FZ-35 is the choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6

I just placed the order. I appreciate the quick replies.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:29 PM   #7

Congratulations, Chuck!

I am sure you will enjoy your new FZ-35 camera. Join in on the discussions in the Panasonic P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 12, 2010, 2:59 PM   #8

Default Brand new to Forum

Hi guys. I'm brand new to the forum and have been following the thread. I am a total novice but wanted to upgrade from my pocket sized point and shoot to either the SX20 or FZ35. I plan on using the camera for vacation photos, especially outdoor hiking, and grandchildren and family photography. One question I had about the Canon SX20 was the smaller LCD screen vs the Panny. It's 2.5 vs the Panny 2.7. Is this a significant difference? I played with the Canon in a store and 2.5 seemed really small compared with a 3.0 I was looking at ( haven't touched the FZ35 yet). Is this a picky complaint?
Also, is the Panny a lot tougher to learn than the Canon, or are they all about equal and one's lack of camera knowledge and experience won't be a handicap? Lastly, is the lack of a rubber boot on the ELV for the Panny a drawback or is that a picky complaint that I had read about? I have come to hate relying on the LCD screen for my shots and an ELV has become important for me.

Thanks for any help and look forward to joining in more discussions in the future.

Hank
Hank38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 3:34 PM   #9

Hank-

I think you are nit picking. .2 of 1 inch in the LCD screen is nothing. Both are good cameras. The SX-20 does very well outdoors, but it quickly becomes ISO limited when you move to indoor shooting. That is why the hot shoe is installed on the SX-20. But that external flash is going to cost an extra $150 (EX-270) to $250 (EX-430) for an external flash.

The Panasonic FZ-35 does not have that problem. It can easily use ISO 800 without a whole lot of noise and if I have a group and want to move back to 25 feet to get everyone into the photo, I add a less than $50 slave flash.

To me I think it is obvious, that the FZ-35 has more bang for the buck.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 12, 2010, 6:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the info Sarah. I noticed also in a comparison of the two that the Panasonic flash had a slightly larger meter range over the Canon. The indoor lighting issue is important to me though. The swivel LCD is intriguing, but I really wasn't sure if it's a good feature or just a gimmick.

Lastly, the Panasonic is selling online for $50-75 less than the Canon.
Hank38 is offline   Reply With Quote