Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:00 PM   #1

Default P&S Camera w/ HD Video

Ok after a little research here are my current choices..

1. Sony CyberShot H55
2. Sony CyberShot W370
3. Canon SD1400IS

I am VERY open to suggestions, as long as they have the following features:

1. 4x-10x Optical Wide-Angle Lens
2. HD Video capabilities (HDMI output would be nice, but not a deal-breaker)
3. 10 MP or more
4. Fairly pocket-able
5. Between $150-$250 Price range

So what do ya recommend? Thanks
unkalledfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2

I was also looking at the Sony CyberShot HX5v... It looks pretty impressive and has loads of features to satisfy the geek within (I'm an IT Admin hehe)..

I'm just wondering if it's really worth the extra $100 over the Sony H55, which looks very similar, minus the GPS, AVCHD and 1080i w/ stereo video..
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:53 AM   #3

I'm not sure about the H55 but I ended up returning the HX5. I wasn't impressed by the photos. They were rather soft, IMO. The video was great outdoors but not so good indoors. I bought a Panasonic FZ35 instead that I hope I like.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:17 AM   #4

unkalledfor-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The best camera for the money in the price range you have specified is the Panasonic ZR1, which Costco has on sale for $170.00. The ZR1 has 12 mp, 8X optical zoom (25mm to 200mm) cna do HD video and zoom while filming and has excellent outdoor image quality.

Its indoor image quality is pulled down by its very small, and weak built-in flash unit that givers it only a 6 foot (camera to subject) Flash Range. That can be easily overcome and the Flash Range extended to 12 feet by adding a small accessory Slave Flash to boost the light for your indoor photos. I have attached a photo showing the ZR1 with the attached Slave Flash for your reference.

The Sony HX5, at $349 is a lot more money and I sincerely do not believe that the photos would be worth the extra dollars. I own both the HX5 and the ZR1, so I am judging from hands-on experience.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5

It's a little more expensive ($299US), but have you looked at the Sony Cyber-Shot TX1? It's a pocket-rocket with a 4x lens, 10MP CMOS sensor, amazing burst capabilities and captures some really nice 720p HD video for such a small camera (better than most point-n-shoots that I've worked with).

Take a look at our TX1 review to see for yourself.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the input, Billy-

I also have a Sony TX-1 that I use and I find the colors, like the HX-1 model introduced at the same time (May 2009) to be washed out in appearance. That was a real disappointment to me. At $170, the Panasonic ZR1 remains an excellent value.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:01 AM   #7

Thank you for your responses --

I really like the price on that ZR1 and the features included.. The reason I wanted something with a higher zoom is for weddings and events where I can't really get up and get closer for a picture, so the 8x would come in handy.

I have a Costco membership so I might go and check it out today or tomorrow.. I would love to get it before my trip to Dominican Republic this weekend, but if I need to wait for the right camera that's not a problem. I really like that price though..
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:25 PM   #8

So... I went to Costco today and purchased the ZR1.. I am very please with my purchase so far, it basically has everything I need at a great price and is small enough to take anywhere.. I also got a free leather case and 2GB memory card with my purchase which was nice.. Price was $169.99 +tax, which is a pretty nice bang for my buck..

I'm excited to start tinkering with the camera, but don't have time since I'm packing for a trip.. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for 4 days... It will be a great opportunity to explore the camera! I'll make sure to post some pictures of my trip when I get back..

Again, thank you very much for your help
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:50 PM   #9

Congratulations, unkalledfor-

I looks like we found a camera with the right "fit" for you. Enjoy the Dominican Republic and post some photos when you return.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:24 PM   #10

Here are just a couple of pictures from my trip..

While in a moving bus @ ~45mph