Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:32 PM   #11

For video the 550D is the hands down leader in all the cameras you mention. It has the best video option among the entry level dslr. As you can attach an external mic to resolve the hearing the motor while focusing.

As Mark said, the olympus pen's like the ep2 and epl1 are also great options. They too have external mic option. And are very compact. They use the same sensor size sensor as the olympus dslr. And produce excellent photos.

But if video is not super critical. You may want to look the the canon 500D and pentax K-x also. They are both excellent for photo and pretty good for video. And like the 550D are both excellent for low light photography.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...1-day-2-a.html
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
So what do you want to shoot?

While even the worst dSLR is better than most P&S digicams, the D5000 is the least capable of the APS-C dSLRs, while the 550D is one of the most capable (entry-level) dSLRs. But the only reason to pick one over the other is what you might use it for.

If you want to shoot sports/action/wildlife, go with the Canon.
That's exactly what I want to shoot.

Another question, the 500D is cheaper and is closer to my budget. Would it be a big no no to get the 500D over the 550D?

Also, is the D5000 not as good with the type of shooting that I am looking to do (as opposed to the 550D or the 500D)

Thanks again
thewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:35 AM   #13

The Canon 500D is also an excellent choice for that.

The Nikon D5000 is not.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:59 AM   #14

Also - if you want to shoot sports/action/wildlife you need to know the lens is just as important as the body. What sports/action/wildlife are you planning on shooting? Be specific as the devil is in the details and the lenses you need will be determined by the specifics.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:53 PM   #15

I was just going to go with the kit lens that comes with camera.
I like shooting landscape/wildlife. I also have a young son who is always flying around, and trying to get the good shot of him can be hard.
thewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:04 PM   #16

The kit lens has an angle of view of from about 74 to 28. That's a nice range for landscapes, but for children and other wildlife, you may want something longer (longer focal length and narrower angle of view.)

The Canon 55-250 IS isn't a bad lens, but the Canon 70-300 IS USM is better, and the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is cheaper, though it's not stabilized like the others.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote