Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:27 PM   #1

Default Upgrading from Bridge to dSLR

Hi,

I currently have a Panasonic FZ-50, I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago . It is a good camera, but I want to upgrade to an slr, to bring me to the next level. I bought the FZ50 as at the time dSLR's did not do video. I wanted a good camera that also took video. I still need the video option, as I have young kids

Wanting to upgrade, I have been looking around for a while. It was my birthday recently and I asked for money so I could get a new camera.

The camera's that I have in my head are;

Canon 1000D or 550D
Nikon D5000 or D3000

I am kinda gone off the D3000, as it doesn't have the video

I am not sure about the 550D, as it is a little bit pricey, and I am not sure if it is too advanced

I would be most grateful of any help. Fell free to suggest other camera's, but as I have read on the forum, I would like to keep my options narrow (so I won't go mad)
thewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:56 PM   #2

Recording video with a dSLR isn't as easy as it is with a P&S, so you may want to rethink your plan.

dSLRs don't autofocus while the video is being recording, and they also don't change the exposure while recording. In addition, unlike P&S digicams, dSLRs only have manual zoom, and most dSLR zoom lenses don't zoom nearly as much as the lenses in P&S digicams, and the lenses that do aren't very good for still images.

All in all, dSLRs are a poor substitute for a camcorder unless you're prepared to deal with those shortcomings. ... or forego the video part.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:24 PM   #3

BTW, the Canon 1000D doesn't record video either.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:25 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I would check out the Olympus Pen cameras, this might be a worthwhile step with good AF in video but more creative control that a P&S.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:33 AM   #5

Thanks guys.
How bad are the dSLR's at video. Video is important, but getting better pics with a dSLR is important too. If the video is not that bad quality, then I wouldn't be that worried. Part of it is to tell my wife that we still can take video's with my new cam.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:42 AM   #6

dSLRs are VERY GOOD at video, but getting there can be a pain. If your plan is for you to shoot stills and your wife to record video, get two cameras.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Recording video with a dSLR isn't as easy as it is with a P&S, so you may want to rethink your plan.

dSLRs don't autofocus while the video is being recording, and they also don't change the exposure while recording. In addition, unlike P&S digicams, dSLRs only have manual zoom, and most dSLR zoom lenses don't zoom nearly as much as the lenses in P&S digicams, and the lenses that do aren't very good for still images.

All in all, dSLRs are a poor substitute for a camcorder unless you're prepared to deal with those shortcomings. ... or forego the video part.
Ditto this. I actually ended up downgrading from a Nikon D90 because it was really too much camera for what I needed it for. Plus, I couldn't stand to take video on that thing! I have a Panasonic FZ35 coming to me and I hope that I'm pleased with it.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewal View Post
Thanks guys.
How bad are the dSLR's at video. Video is important, but getting better pics with a dSLR is important too. If the video is not that bad quality, then I wouldn't be that worried. Part of it is to tell my wife that we still can take video's with my new cam.
So good that the last in the series of 'House' is being shot using the Canon 5DmkII.... http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...slr-video.html

BUT, as has already been mentioned shooting video from a dSLR is not anything like shooting with a video camera. The quality is amazing, the creative control is something that movie makers haven't had for a long time due to the large sensors but you want to be working in MF rather than AF and you need to really plan what you are shooting.

I agree, it is far better to use a video camera for video unless you want to spend the time on a masterpiece. Other good options are the Panasonic GH1 or the Olympus Pen as they will allow much better AF while shooting video.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:49 PM   #9

I am still lost. I had kinda narrowed down to the 550d and the 5000D. I was leaning toward the 5000D as the price was better.
I suppose I put to much weight to needing video in my first post.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:36 PM   #10

So what do you want to shoot?

While even the worst dSLR is better than most P&S digicams, the D5000 is the least capable of the APS-C dSLRs, while the 550D is one of the most capable (entry-level) dSLRs. But the only reason to pick one over the other is what you might use it for.

If you want to shoot sports/action/wildlife, go with the Canon.