Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:13 PM   #21

Hmm one to look for tomorrow. my K10d often would not focus lock in this kind of darkness.

By the way - the first 2 images are both ISO 1600, the next 2 both ISO 800,

The blue K10 is ISO 800 and the blue 500d is ISO 1600 and the last 2 are both ISO 800.

All f4 and between 1/15 and 1/30 shutter speed
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:26 PM   #22

The 500D and the K-x both have about the same level of noise, but at lower ISO settings the K-x has a better dynamic range. (See the DXOMark test results: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...(brand3)/Canon )

I think you should set focus and exposure with the stage fully lit, then switch to manual focus and manual exposure. That eliminates the autofocus problem, and the areas of the stage that aren't lit will be underexposed, but that would happen anyway. Setting the exposure to manual will keep the areas of the stage that are lit from being overexposed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
... but he said tests were not the same as real world experience. ...
Tests are so you know what you're getting into before the real world comes around to bite you in the butt.

Without tests, all you've got are anecdotes, many of which are probably from salespeople.

Ever heard of a "spiff"?

Last edited by TCav; Apr 22, 2010 at 9:36 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:12 AM   #24

Have heard of "Spiff" now. Went in to exchange the 500d for the kx so I can test it tonight and the sales man said I was mad, it was like having a Porsche in the garage and swapping it for a Citroen. He also told me the kx did not do video and was basically a point and shoot.

Will see how it looks tonight
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
... He also told me the kx did not do video and was basically a point and shoot. ...
You know he's wrong, right?

Does that store have anyone more knowledgeable that you can deal with?

"Citroen"? I presume you're not in the US.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You know he's wrong, right?

Does that store have anyone more knowledgeable that you can deal with?

"Citroen"? I presume you're not in the US.
Indeed - I'm working in France, but live in the UK

and yes I know he is wrong about the kx and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do tonight. I've been playing with it and like the feel of it and the green button, but the shutter is very noisy, which may be an issue in rehearsals. It was a bit of a problem with my K10 and this seems worse.

On first impressions I prefer the Canon, but I'm yet to see what the kx does in stage light.

Nobody has said much about Nikons. On paper the D90 seems very good in low light, but of course it costs more. Should I consider a d90 with kit lens, for another 150 euro or would I be better off with the kx or 500d and putting the 150 towards a 30mm fast prime? ( I know I'm pushing my original budget now, but I want to find a solution that is going to last several years)
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The 500D and the K-x both have about the same level of noise, but at lower ISO settings the K-x has a better dynamic range. (See the DXOMark test results: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...(brand3)/Canon )

I think you should set focus and exposure with the stage fully lit, then switch to manual focus and manual exposure. That eliminates the autofocus problem, and the areas of the stage that aren't lit will be underexposed, but that would happen anyway. Setting the exposure to manual will keep the areas of the stage that are lit from being overexposed.
Thank you - I will try this technique tonight.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:21 PM   #28

Default And the winner is...

So I have now tried the 500d and the kx in my Macbeth lighting conditions.

The kx has some usability issues for me - the shutter was very loud, the blue LED on the top irritatingly bright in a dark theatre, it took a long time for an image to appear on the screen after a photo was taken and the screen resolution made it harder to use in live view. However I could have seen past all this if the image quality was better than the Canon. However it was not.

Although the kx has a slight edge in terms of low noise when the stage is well lit in fairly naturalistic colours, it coped much less well with saturated colours on the stage, in fact it really struggled with deep blue light.

I can post some images is anyone is interested.

So I have decided on the Canon and irritatingly had to tell the man in the shop that he was right.

Now - would you recommend the Sigma 30mm F1.4 for a Canon 500d, or is there a cheaper option that would serve me as well?

Thank you
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:27 PM   #29

I use the canon 28mm 1.8. And it is a pretty good and fast focusing lens. It is a little less. You may also want to look at the sigma 28mm 1.8 also. Both are about 1/3 stop darker if you do not need 1.4. And will save you about 100 dollars over the sigma 30mm 1.4.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:46 PM   #30

I think 1.4 will not give me enough depth of field to keep all the stage in focus, so I am thinking of Mark's early suggestion using a lens at f2. This will give me a big advantage over the f4 or 4.5 I have been getting from the zoom.

Out of interest, for other photographs; family, travel etc. in more normal light, would the 28mm or 30mm lenses be noticeably sharper than the kit zoom?