Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:25 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'll send him an e-mail with a link to this thread and see if he responds. If so, then perhaps we'll have a better idea of how he performed the testing with that first set of crops. fstopjojo (the owner of that lightrules album we're discussing) is a member here, although he hasn't posted in quite a while.
Sorry, the e-mail bounced (the address we have is no longer valid).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:13 PM   #52

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the debate and all the links to read.

I have been in France, but return home to UK tomorrow. I don't know if I will find a shop that will let me try lenses out in the way the shop in France let me try the cameras.

For the theatre shots, I will always be at a distance of at least 10m from the stage and I will be setting focus and exposure manually. The Camera will be on a tripod and, as previously discussed I will have enough depth of field to keep the whole stage depth in focus. I have to have it set up in a way that means I can take photos without thinking about it, because my job is to be tweaking light levels, talking to the director etc.

I will also be nearly always using high ISOs, 800+.

At this level of ISO will I be able to differentiate the sharpness between the lenses anyway?

If not, I will go for the cheapest option and get a 50mm f1.8 as well (to cover me from the back of big theatres)

If I will notice the difference at this ISO I will consider them more carefully and perhaps try hiring before buying.

For family and holidays, it sounds like a good focus lock, and a wider angle will be beneficial.

Hmmm you have given me a lot to think about and I am finding myself getting mildly addicted to camera/lens research...
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:34 PM   #53
Super Moderator

Yes, from experience you will notice lens sharpness differences even at ISO 800, however, if they will be enough to warrent the higher cost I can't answer that.

I'm not sure if you will find the 50mm f1.8 too long to get all the stage in as we are talking quite a jump from a 30 or 35mm lens.

As for a shop that will let you try, not sure, some might if they sell 2nd hand and have them in, as long as you end up purchasing something that usually works fine, with new probably not so likely.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:39 PM   #54

The kit lens is a good idea for most general purpose shooting. What makes this topic so interesting is your requirement for capturing stage lighting.

If you can position the camera farther back, then, by far, the best performer at f/2.0, at a reasonable price, would be the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Your sample shots were taken at ISO 800, f/4.0 at from 1/15 to 1/30. At f/2.0, you should be able to get shutter speeds of from 1/60 to 1/125. That could even let you drop the ISO to 400 to avoid noise.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:48 PM   #55

Sorry, I think I have confused things with the 50mm comment.

Most of the time I will be about 10m from the stage and shooting in the 28-35mm range. So please ignore the 50mm range for now!

Good to know that you can see difference in Lens sharpness at ISO 800.

I will have a hunt around my local camera shops in the UK and see what they have, and if they have any of the lenses you suggest second hand.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:50 PM   #56
Super Moderator

I'm sure you said but I'm not going through all the posts again, where in the UK are you based?

LCE might be a good option for getting to try something, depending on the staff/store they can be very helpful.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:56 PM   #57

Cornwall, but I work all over the place, and London a lot.

There is a LCE in Plymouth I think - perhaps I should go and make friends with them.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:58 PM   #58
Super Moderator

I'm from Plymouth, and they are OK but not great. There is also Mifsuds in Brixham, and these guys are amazing, they treat me very well (not sure if it is that I've spent about 12,000 with them in the past few years), and they also have a good selection of used kit.