Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:09 PM   #1

Default Canon G11 or Nikon D3000?

At first I wanted to buy a point an shoot camera and save some money, but then decided that I want to buy something that will last for many years. I am not the kind of person that likes to buy new cameras every year...

After a very long time of browsing various review sites, I finally settled on Canon G11 which seems to be one hell of a camera for the price. That was before I noticed a DSLR on newegg for LESS money, with no tax and free shipping! We are talking $476.00 for the G11 vs $459.99 for the Nikon DSLR!

There is one "but" though. This is clearly an "entry level" SLR, and as such it might not be all that much better than the Canon G11.

This is where you guys come in! Please tell me which one of these cameras I should go with. This is a big investment for me, and I want to make sure I am getting something nice. I know we are dealing with different body sizes, lens, etc... But which is a clearly "all around better" camera for general day to day shooting under various conditions?

Oh and I forgot to mention that my budget is $500. I know that I can step up to $600 and get something much better, but I definitely cannot go into that price range. $500 is the absolute ceiling, that's with taxes and shipping already factored in the price.

Last edited by ibex333; Apr 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM.
ibex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:17 PM   #2

Only advice I can offer is that, if you buy a DSLR, you will have something more versatile in the long run, but you may (likely) find that you want or need some feature that the kit lens doesn't have. (more telephoto, wider angle, or close-up capability). Then you start buying lenses............

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:25 PM   #3

I have a G11 and just today bought a T1i however NOT because I felt the G11 was lacking in anyway at all. I love its portability (fits great into my purse) and the articulating screen. The photo quality is outstanding and its incredibly versitile. It offers the shooter more "creative" options and I know will be a camera I keep for years as I grow more comfortable with manual controls/skilled.....probably until I wear it out.

I'm still going to keep it as my "everyday" camera and use the T1i for specific shots (which was always the intent of my purchasing it). The G11 performs VERY well in lowlight situations and is very sharp detail wise.

The DSLR vs P&S debate has plus and minues on each side. I think you need to look at why you want the camera....will you take it everywhere, break it out occassionally, will you be able to buy lenses for a while, etc..... The G11 is an outstanding camera and won't disappoint in its ability. I love it and couldn't be happier in my decision to buy it.

One thing I truly like about the G11 is that it can do the basics of everything without changing lenses. For instance, I can switch to Macro and have a lot of fun with it as it handles this function superbly. Likewise, however, No, you won't get telephoto like you would a DSLR but that's not what I wanted it for. As a compliement to a DSLR its great to have and as a stand-a-lone its in a separate class than other P&S's for what it can accomplish......in my opinion.

Now, a DSLR offers more in its abilities and is definitely a step up from any P&S. The G11, while wonderful, is limited in functions to an extent. I would like to get involved with taking photos down the road which will require a telephoto lens as the range would be too great for the G11.

Look at why you want the camera for the here and now then go from there. I'm glad I now have both which compliment each other and even allow me to utilize things jointly like external flash and remote control.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Apr 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:36 PM   #4

Ibex-

This really should be posted over in the "What Camera Should I Buy?" folder. If your absolute top budget is $(US)500.00 then you would be better served by the Canon G-11 which is all inclusive, and which would require no further monetary investment.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:58 PM   #5

Ibex 333, the Nikon D3000 is not the least expensive dslr out there right now. Here are a few to look at from B&H, free shipping in the US.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gital_SLR.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...R_Digital.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gital_SLR.html

There are a lot more options between 500 and 600..

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6

Thanks, everyone! And my apologies for posting in the wrong place.

Sarah, if we forget the necessary further monetary investment for the DSLR, does it offer better image quality vs. the G11 by default, or does it absolutely require better lens kits and other accessories to truly shine? It looks like it already includes lens, but sadly I have no idea if those lens are any good.

Last edited by ibex333; Apr 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
ibex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7

ibex-

We must get the comparison on more firm footing. For the purposes of our discussion let's focus on comparing the Canon G-11 versus the Pentax Kx model DSLR camera. And in the interests of full disclosure, I have owned, used, and sold my G-11, and I am currently using a Pentax Kx, as well as other cameras.

If we look at image quality, the Pentax Kx, using the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens wins by a very small margin and gives you much greater overall utility for your photographic future.

If we look at zoom capabilities, the Canon G-11 wins because it can get to 120mm, and the kit lens only goes to 88mm. However, that is really only a small portion of the inherent question. When I needed more zoom and had less money. I went to E-Bay, knowing full well that the Pentax Kx could use any Pentax A mount lens ever made. So I was able to meet my needs very well by finding a 80-200mm lens for just $(US)51.00 that is really a very good lens and very comparable to the Pentax 50-200mm lens selling for around $(US)250.00. I did not have to purchase a new camera!

If you are looking at high ISO capability, then the Pentax KX wins by a wide margin. The G-11 can easily take photos at ISO 1600 without any problems. The Pentax Kx can easily take photos at ISO 6400 with ease!

You have seemed to indicate that you want a camera to be usful to you for many years. I see the Pentax Kx more able to achieve that goal than the G-11. However, there may be additional judgment points, not yet discussed, that you want to look at in detail, so I invite more discussion.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:36 PM   #8

Ibex-

Generally speaking, better equipment like a DSLR is capable of better image quality than a P+S camera. However, better equipment is only 1/2 of the equation. The other half is the skill and experience of the photographer.

So, I really don't want you to understand that jumping from a Canon A-80 to a DSLR is a real "silver bullet" solution to greatly better photos and image quality. Naturally as you learn more and gain photo experience your photos will improve.

Also keep in mind that DSLR's are manufactured with the expectation that the DSLR user is going to be post processing all of the photos, so consider as well sharpening your photo editing skills.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:42 PM   #9

Ibex;
Since you seem to be pretty serious about photography, something to keep in mind it that if you buy an all-in-one camera and decide later that you need to upgrade, you end up buying a complete new camera/lens combination. With a DSLR, you may invest in a number of lenses over the years, but to upgrade, you need only replace the camera body.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 PM   #10

That is an excellent point, Brian-

In the long term the DSLR is potentially less expensive.

Sarah Joyce