Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:46 AM   #1

Default Back Again Still Dont Know What I Want To Get

I had ruled out a DSLR camera and was really thinking about going with the Fuji hs10.

That was until I received the spring catalog for united airlines. The catalog does not do a good job on making it clear to what model the cameras are. I know you guys are pros and can identify what model they are.

In a sense I can get any camera I want in this catalog without having to put up the cash.

I have nearly 300,000 miles to spend. Based on the catalog below which one would you recommend. Thanks in advance for flipping through the pages of the catalog. There are 6 pages I believe.

http://store.ualmileageplus.com/edea...%231a&offset=0
Dishsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:44 AM   #2

Just go all out and get the Canon EOS 7D .

Actually, I'd really decide on what you plan on using your camera for. Whoever said that the best camera is the one you have with you, is spot on. I sold a Nikon D90 because I never used it and never fully learned how to operate it to its fullest potential. My FZ35 is due to arrive today and I plan to try to learn as much as possible from it.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:58 AM   #3

Dishsoap-

In making a camera decision, there are a lot of factor to consider:

How important is camera size to you, size can be critical??

How much zoom do you need??

Are your interests in nature and wildlife, or something else??

How experienced are you as a photographer?? A Canon 7D will not work well with P+S experience!

How much shooting will you be doing indoors, using flash??

How much of your shooting requires a high ISO capability??

Getting the camera that is right for you, personally is very important. Answering those questions will allow us to find the right camera "fit" for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:22 PM   #4

Zero experience with photography. Low end point in shoot is all I have ever had.

Mostly outdoors shooting children's sports. Rc car racing shots. Family shots and some indoor shots.

Based on what is in the catalog is the camera that I will choose as it will be no cost to me giving me more room for upgrades.

I just dont know which one to choose. It would seem the most expensive one would be the best as there would not be a cash cost to me.

I do really like the hs10 but it would not be free.

Size and weight would not be a factor on any camera that I would choose.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:54 PM   #5

Dishsoap-

The natural inclination is to go "full throttle" on this possibility. However, if you end up with a camera that does not match your photo capabilities, you will quickly find yourself frustrated and soon the camera will be forgotten, stored in a little used closet, and possibly never used again.

For example the HS-10 is a pretty complex camera, I own one, and it it not one you could just purchase, throw it into the Automatic mode and be taking knock out photos. It does not work that way.

You might be a whole lot happier with a Sony HX5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Dishsoap-

The natural inclination is to go "full throttle" on this possibility. However, if you end up with a camera that does not match your photo capabilities, you will quickly find yourself frustrated and soon the camera will be forgotten, stored in a little used closet, and possibly never used again.

For example the HS-10 is a pretty complex camera, I own one, and it it not one you could just purchase, throw it into the Automatic mode and be taking knock out photos. It does not work that way.

You might be a whole lot happier with a Sony HX5.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the info and insight. The benefit of picking one from the catalog is that it is going to be free of charge.

Would it be possible to give me a recommendation based on what is available in the catalog link that I posted. Thanks in advanced.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:36 AM   #7

My choices:

First choice:
Nikon DSLR. It looks like a D3000.

or

One of the higher end Canon bridge cameras

One looks like a G something, the other an SX20.

Any of these would serve you well.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote