Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Default SX210IS, Zumix ZS3

Hello,

I am looking to replace my old S2IS with something more portable. I was excited about the specs of the SX210IS, but the reviews have been so mixed! I love having lots of optical zoom, and I've loved my canon, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm putting too much emphasis on zoom and brand name, and looking at inferior cameras as a result.

I'm willing to spend ~$350, and want something capable, portable, and good for both my husband (who doesnt use settings, just likes an easy "auto" photo) and for me (a mostly clueless amateur who likes to play with settings.)

I played with the SX210 in the store and liked it, but havent found a store where I can get my hands on the ZS3. I'm also open to other suggestions in this price range. I read some threads on the HX5V, and it sounded promising..

Thoughts?

Thanks!
skiesclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2

skiesclear-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

My suggestion when looking for a canon S-2 replacement that you take a good look at the Panasonic FZ-35. The FZ-35 is a much better camera than the ZS3, and the Canon SX-210 has received reduced image quality reviews.

Take a look in our Panasonic P+S folder. We have a large group of active FZ-35 users there, with many photo samples, a good deal om camaraderie, and a lot of sharing of photo and technical tips.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. The FZ35 looks like a great camera, but is around the same size/style as the S2. I was hoping for more portability, because I've found myself less and less likely to tote around my S2. Definitely want something smaller.

Reading through the forums, your replies to similar threads and steve's review of the 210IS, it would seem my main dilemma now is to go for the Sony HX5V, or a Panasonic. The ZS3 seems very popular, or I could save a lot of money with the ZS1. There are probably others I havent discovered yet. Since I am amateur, if I'm not likely to notice the difference between my images with a $179 camera or a $349 camera, the choice would be obvious.

I'm a one-camera girl though, and plan to use whatever I get for at least 3 years.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4

skiesclear-

If you really want the biggest bang for the buck and real portability. Take a look at Costco. They have the Panasonic ZR1 on sale for $169.99, with a free card and a free case. It has 12mp 8X optical zoom (25mm to 200mm) and does HD video.

The built-in flash is a little weak, but, all in all it is a very good and very capable camera. Here is a link to a ZR1 photo taken with my ZR1:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...11_WL8th-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:23 PM   #5

Check out the ZS7 as well. The IQ "drop" that reviews note going from the ZS3 to ZS7 is only of note to pixel peepers. The IQ is still excellent for a pocket cam. The ZS7's iAuto mode works fairly well (for your hubby) and it has full manual controls as well (for you). I picked mine up for $334 + tax (price match to Electronics Expo) and quite a few stores have them on sale for $349 + tax.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:04 PM   #6

Five-O

Well, I will consider your position on the ZS7. But, just as I give you references and links to reviews, I really would like to see professional reviews that support your position that the 14mp is OK on the ZS7. I have not found any professional reviews that support your position and I stay right up with the reviews.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-O

Well, I will consider your position on the ZS7. But, just as I give you references and links to reviews, I really would like to see professional reviews that support your position that the 14mp is OK on the ZS7. I have not found any professional reviews that support your position and I stay right up with the reviews.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=panasonic+zs7+review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNet
The photo quality from the ZS7 is very good to excellent with the understanding that this is a compact camera--regardless of its features and price.
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRP
What I liked:
  • Very good photo quality at low ISOs
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera Labs
The two megapixel boost in resolution is an unnecessary but inevitable move, although noise levels are roughly the same as its predecessor and rival compacts.
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaging resource
Very good printed results, supporting prints up to 16x20 inches
Link

Once again, I did not say that IQ wasn't degraded since the ZS3. I said that the difference was negligible at smaller print sizes. Here's a comparison on Picasa. If EXIF not working, you can tell which are which by the GPS data on 1 set and not the other.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:21 PM   #8

Thank you very much, Five-O-

That is exactly what I was looking for in terms of references. Well, count me in! I put my money where my mouth is, and I also ordered the ZS7. I am scheduled to receive it on Tuesday, April 27th. Soon, I will be posting ZS7 images on line as well.

Thanks again, have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:31 PM   #9

Fantastic info, top notch community here.
I am looking forward to the ZS7 reviews. I've been to a few stores in the last couple of days to put my hands on these cameras, hoping this would help me make decisions, but I have yet to find the ZS3 or ZS7 anywhere. The SX210 is pretty, but not completely compelling, and the Sony HX5V functional and with some nice features. Hopefully I can find a place with the Panasonics soon so I can feel ready to buy.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:48 PM   #10

skiesclear-

Tomorrow I will begin a side by side comparison of the ZS3 and the HX5. Then on Tuesday, April 27th I should receive my ZS7 and I will then add the ZS7 to the mix so we can get a side by side comparison of all three cameras.

Sarah Joyce