Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:13 PM   #1

Default superzoom advise

Hi everyone, I am new to the site. I am a "wanna be" amateur photographer. Up until now I have had very inexpensive unmentionable cameras. I have been doing research on my own to figure out what I want out of a camera so I can make a purchase I am happy with.

I do not want a DSLR first because of the price, and secondly the bulky size.

I am intrigued by the super zooms, especially the pocketable ones like the Panasonic ZS1. But I really need a super zoom that I can use at my kids sporting events. So it needs to be very fast.

The new NIkon P100 caught my eye because of the super zoom and sports mode, however the reviews are not great. I am also interested in the Panasonic FZ-35 and the Canon SX1 IS. But out of those two I don't know which would be better for shooting fast action like sports.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
flslattery@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:17 PM   #2

The fz35 is a pretty good super zoom. And there is allot of fans on steve's. Think it may be getting update this summer. The new fuji hs10 seems pretty impressive also.

On a side note using you email address is not the best thing to do, it may lead to spamming. I would contact steve's to see if you can get it change. JimC is on of the admin on the board who can help you out.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:08 PM   #3

thanks I'm on it already. I wasn't paying attention when I did it.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:32 PM   #4

I can vouch for the HS10. Of all the bridge cameras I've had, it is by far the finest.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i would agree. you can't really go wrong with the time-proven Panny FZ35. and the new Fuji HS10 is proving to be quite versatile and effective, as demonstrated by gary and others.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:00 AM   #6

But in all fairness, we must also acknowledge that shooting sports is a specialty or niche area of cameras that takes a large investment and is best done with very fast DSLR cameras with expensive and physically large long, zoom lenses.

Now if you are talking about an occasional, casual shot at a Little League game or a Pop Warner football game, you could pull it off with a super zoom camera, like the Panasonic FZ-35, or the Canon SX-20. You need a camera with a vuew finder or an EVF. Framing a fast moving sports/action photo using a compact zoom camera with only an LCD to use to set-up the photo is very, very, difficult to do.

The Canon SX-1 is no longer manufactured, and the Nikon P-100 has received terrible reviews. So, no offense intended, but I would cross those two cameras off your list.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:46 AM   #7

Thanks for the advise. My kids are not professional athletes, so I am thinking the panny FZ35 might definitely be the way to go!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:15 AM   #8

The Panasonic FZ-35 is a very good choice. You should also be aware that Panasonic, if they adhere to their regular introduction schedule, will probably be introducing a FZ-35 replacement sometime during the late Summer of 2010.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:22 AM   #9

I took photos of a 3 year olds birthday party yesterday with the FZ35. I realized the shutter speed was too low on many shots, but the pictures turned out decent. With the right settings, I'm sure they would have been very good. AND there was plenty of action of the kids sliding down a water slide, running, etc.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote