Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:48 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Here you go.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10843799...X5VComparison#

I realize the 2 cameras used different ISO settings. I have taken more but they are not on the PC yet.
Which photo is closer to the real-life image? Great shots by the way. I like the reflection on the pavement.
perdolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:03 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Here you go.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10843799...X5VComparison#

I realize the 2 cameras used different ISO settings. I have taken more but they are not on the PC yet.
Thanks very much FiveO. Very interesting. Clearly better Hx5v. I can not check exif (sorry I donīt usually use Picassa, maybe these data are shown but i can not see) Both are taken without tripod? ISOs?

One question, have you compare both cameras without using HHT Sony feature? It is only to know if standard low light Hx5v photo is better or not than standard Lumix ZS7 low light photo.

Thanks, nice comparision.

Last edited by zchymalaga; Apr 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM.
zchymalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:34 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdolum View Post
Which photo is closer to the real-life image? Great shots by the way. I like the reflection on the pavement.
Well it was well past sundown (hours) so it was quite dark. The Sony probably lightened up the sky a little. The colors on the house, lights, etc are more accurate on the Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchymalaga View Post
Thanks very much FiveO. Very interesting. Clearly better Hx5v. I can not check exif (sorry I donīt usually use Picassa, maybe these data are shown but i can not see) Both are taken without tripod? ISOs?

One question, have you compare both cameras without using HHT Sony feature? It is only to know if standard low light Hx5v photo is better or not than standard Lumix ZS7 low light photo.

Thanks, nice comparision.
Check the right column and click 'more info' to view EXIF data. As above, I will post direct ISO comparisons when I get a chance but this at least gives you an idea. All shots were handheld and done using each cameras respective night modes. I have taken some on the Sony with/without HHT (still on the cam also) and the Sony's shots are still better in low-light based on the display. I have not viewed them otherwise yet. Again though, if you use a tripod, I don't think the Sony offers much (any?) advantage in low-light.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:59 PM   #94

Again though, if you use a tripod, I don't think the Sony offers much (any?) advantage in low-light.[/QUOTE]

Most of compacts users donīt use a tripod, so any advantages without it it is a great advantage

Thanks FiveO. We wait for your comparisions photos, for sure very interesting!
zchymalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:40 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchymalaga View Post
Most of compacts users donīt use a tripod, so any advantages without it it is a great advantage
Yeah absolutely. I always bring a mini tripod along on backpacking trips but a night out with my wife or a trip to the museum, I won't have one with me. It's interesting watching the Sony do its thing also. It first displays a very noisy and unimpressive initial image. Once it has combined the 6 shots, it presents that image and you can see the difference instantly.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:40 PM   #96

Im actually quite impressed that you were able to do a handheld shot at 1/2 sec on the ZS7! Great comparison, thanks.
edYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:18 AM   #97

Well the rain continues. It is keeping our part of Oregon very green. So we have to work with another indoor photo today. This was taken in our local super market's floral department.

Once again we used the IA Mode
ISO was set to Auto
WB was set to auto
No flash was used.

Here is the exposure used by each camera:
ZS3 ISO 400 F 3.3 1/25th
HX5 ISO 400 F 3.5 1/25th
ZS7 ISO 400 F 3.3 1/15th

Today we begin with the ZS3:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:21 AM   #98

Here is the 100% crop of the previous ZS3 photo:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:21 AM   #99

OK, Folk-

Here is the HX5 photo:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:25 AM   #100

Here is the 100% crop of the HX5 photo:

Note: I left the WB in Auto to see how the 3 camera would cope with the fluorescent lighting in the refrigerated flower case.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM.