Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:29 PM   #101

OK, Folks-

Here is the ZS7 photo. As you might recall the ZS7 was the only camera that sort hiccuped and selected a shutter speed of 1/15, while the other two cameras used 1/25 as their shutter speed. The result was a bit of over exposure.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:32 PM   #102

Here is the 100% crop of the above ZS7 photo

With today's shots it was clearly a fight of the HX5 versus the ZS3. The ZS3 is doing very well for a camera that costs about $(US)100.00 less than the Hx5.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:14 AM   #103

I really wish the AWB on the HX5V was better indoors but you can't have everything. It always gets that nasty yellow cast to it. I would actually put that image last in today's photos for the cast alone. I know it's fixable but we could argue that for nearly anything.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:25 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I really wish the AWB on the HX5V was better indoors but you can't have everything. It always gets that nasty yellow cast to it. I would actually put that image last in today's photos for the cast alone. I know it's fixable but we could argue that for nearly anything.

I agree.

I also think some of these photos don't necessarily highlight where the Hx5v is weak, which is in detail smudging. It's not that apparent in some of these test shots but looking at a lot of online samples you can really see the effects of NR. At these higher ISO levels (400+) though it does look the sony has a bit of edge in sharpness and details wise is about the same as the others. The other cameras look remarkably clean at ISO 200 and below in online reviews with less apparent detail loss. So I guess it depends on what kind of shooting and how far you let the ISO climb. On my old canon SD300, I always forced it to the lowest (ISO 80) unless it was really too dark to capture a good image or resulted in shake blur - I can't stand noise/NR!
edYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:32 AM   #105

My vote is for the HX5 on the pic's Sarah posted...not as sharp as the ZS3...but the overall saturation and colors are awesome for a P&S...I think my wife would be very happy with it...

I am looking for something simple and easy to use on a Cruise when dining and inside pic's as the pictures we got before are not good at all...

I think the HX5 will suit the bill for this...

Many thanks to Sarah for the extensive work and great shots!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:40 AM   #106

I agree with LTZ470...I think the colors of the Sony are better and the detail is actually better, despite the sony's noise reduction. Granted, this is but one situation. I think I am about ready to purchase the Sony camera (however its price just jumped up substantially on Amazon... ).

Thank you Sarah Joyce for the great pictures and the comparison shots, they have been great in helping me decide which camera to purchase. I am going on trips to San Francisco and Europe this summer and really want a nice camera to take great pictures with. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction with the Sony HX5
perdolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:44 AM   #107

In the final analysis, each of us will have somewhat different priorities. While a DSLR might be focused on form, composition, or line, I see the typical P+S camera as a more utilitarian recorder of sights and memories.

Therefore, it should be small, hand, convenient, and well suited to the use of recording those sights and events. None of these three cameras is perfect, but they seem to come close to their objective.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:53 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Here is the 100% crop of the above ZS7 photo

With today's shots it was clearly a fight of the HX5 versus the ZS3. The ZS3 is doing very well for a camera that costs about $(US)100.00 less than the Hx5.

Sarah Joyce
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the MSRP on the ZS3 $350 or $399? It's only cheaper because Panasonic is clearancing them out. Now I believe some of the Fujis started out at $199 didn't they? The F70EXR perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdolum View Post
I agree with LTZ470...I think the colors of the Sony are better and the detail is actually better, despite the sony's noise reduction. Granted, this is but one situation. I think I am about ready to purchase the Sony camera (however its price just jumped up substantially on Amazon... ).
I have seen a few instances in which the Sony captured more detail also. As far as the colors though, that last Sony pic has a very obvious sickly yellow cast so I am surprised that anyone could prefer the colors. Panasonic images sometimes have a greenish cast and that bugs me also.

Attached Images

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 29, 2010 at 4:14 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:21 PM   #109

Good comparison, Five-O

That why we began this thread. I don't recall the MSRP of the ZS3, I thought it was $299.00, but I am not positive. After 100 post in this thread and many photo samples, I prefer the ZS3. However, as I mentioned previously, the choice seems to vary from one person to another. And that is OK too. If a standard video is OK for your personal preferences, the ZS1 at $(US)179.00 at both Amazon, and J & R is a real bargain. Of the three cameras we looked at: the ZS7, the HX5, and the ZS3, all are good P+S cameras. It just becomes a matter of personal preference.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:22 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Of the three cameras we looked at: the ZS7, the HX5, and the ZS3, all are good P+S cameras. It just becomes a matter of personal preference.
I absolutely agree. I have had the ZS7 and HX5V for nearly a week side by side and I still don't really know which I prefer. Sure I can tell you which I prefer for a given situation, but each has its own strengths and weaknesses and both are good cams.

p.s. I just noticed today that iAuto and Program Auto on the HX5V give very different results despite using identical settings. The EXIF data all matches up but iAuto bumps up the saturation.