Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:00 AM   #21

skiesclear

As I understand it the last letter, that comes after HX5... is the body color designation. And strangely enough all of the initial shipments to the USA were made in the black body color.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:48 AM   #22

Default Which camera takes the best pictures in IA or easy mode?

Hi Sarah Joyce:

This is a response to your post number 17 in this thread (that the Sony HX5V takes its best pictures in the P (programmed auto) mode, rather than the IA or easy mode). The question is: which of the megazooms consistently takes the best, sharpest pictures in the intelligent auto or easy mode? I realize that my camera skills are well below most of the readers of this forum, but I don't know enough to be manually setting exposures, etc. -- 99 percent of the time, I'm going to be shooting in easy or intelligent auto mode.

Thanks for your help!
opalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:17 PM   #23

opalmom-

Thanks for an excellent question. All you have to do is to shoot in the "P" Mode which stands for Programed Auto Mode. When in that mode the HX5 camera works just like the "EASY" mode but, it has many more camera features available to it. In the "P" Mode you are using automatic, but you also have the option to change the ISO, the exposure compensation, and the like, but you don't have to make those changes at all, you can just accept what the camera set , and shoot away.

So my wording was probably confusing. Perhaps, I should have said, the best Automatic Mode is the "P" or Programed Auto mode.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:20 PM   #24
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
opalmom-

Thanks for an excellent question. All you have to do is to shoot in the "P" Mode which stands for Programed Auto Mode. When in that mode the HX5 camera works just like the "EASY" mode but, it has many more camera features available to it. In the "P" Mode you are using automatic, but you also have the option to change the ISO, the exposure compensation, and the like, but you don't have to make those changes at all, you can just accept what the camera set , and shoot away.

So my wording was probably confusing. Perhaps, I should have said, the best Automatic Mode is the "P" or Programed Auto mode.

Sarah Joyce
This may a stupid question but since I'm new at this photography stuff I'll ask it anyway. What's the difference then between the "P mode" and the IA setting on the HX5 if when in the P mode the camera does everything automatic? Isn't that the same with the IA mode? If the camera judges everything automatically in both of these and you don't change any settings in the P mode then what is the difference between these two? Is the difference only having the option to change settings in the P mode?
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:21 PM   #25

Thanks for this thread Sarah! I noticed the HX5 does not have a sunset scene mode. On my old olympus this is how I always shoot sunsets (with great results in my opinion). I was under the impression the sunset scene makes the reds/oranges more vibrant, so how would one go about taking photos of a sunset with the HX5 with this same level of vibrancy?
world_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:55 PM   #26

world_go

I would do it just as we always did sunsets before Scene Modes were introduced. Use the "P" mode, then set about EV-1.0 to -0.7 on the Exposure Compensation. You will get the same effect.

If you want more reds and added brilliance, in post processing increase the saturation and contrast for the sunset and the sky.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:02 PM   #27

SGF-

Each mode on the Hx5's mode selector has a somewhat different access to the the HX5's firmware. The "P" or Programed Auto Mode has the best and the greatest access to the Hx5's firmware or processor adjustments.

Therefore, I have steadfastly suggested that HX5 users make use of the "P" mode, as it has the best ability to adjust to any photo environment. I suggest that the not use the little I+Camera (IA) mode as it has less ability to adjust to changing photo situations. Likewise, you will notice that I don't suggest the EASY mode either as it has the least ability to adjust to changing photo situations.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:09 PM   #28

The last few questions raise an interesting question-

How much automation do you really want in your camera? We seem to see more and more folks who want additional automation. In other words those folks prefer to let the camera just, "do its own thing and take the photo."

If that is how you feel, you really might want to take a look at the Panasonic ZS7. It has more automation than the ZS1, the ZS3, the HX5, and the Canon SX-210.

So, let's sort take a poll?? How many folks are interested in the Automatic Mode and greater automation?

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:16 PM   #29

The first 2 photos are done at 2 different aspect ratios so it's hard to directly compare, but in all of the shots the ZS3 image looks better and more detauiled. The white balance also seems to be superior on the ZS3 indoors if that is AWB. The Sony looks fine (aside from WB) at typical viewing sizes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The last few questions raise an interesting question-

How much automation do you really want in your camera? We seem to see more and more folks who want additional automation. In other words those folks prefer to let the camera just, "do its own thing and take the photo."

If that is how you feel, you really might want to take a look at the Panasonic ZS7. It has more automation than the ZS1, the ZS3, the HX5, and the Canon SX-210.

So, let's sort take a poll?? How many folks are interested in the Automatic Mode and greater automation?

Sarah Joyce
This is true but the ZS7 also offers more manual control than the ZS3 or HX5V. I currently have intelligent resolution on (limited to ISO400) and intelligent contrast set to low. I have been using iAuto outdoors during the day but I typically switch to Program auto for other shots. iAuto doesn't let you adjust exposure though so I am using it less and less as I realize the ZS series tend to overexpose at default.

In theory, I love a highly automated camera. In practice though, it rarely goes as planned. This is one of the areas in which the ZS7 appeals to me more than the HX5V. Most cameras seem to fail at AWB for example in some situation or another. The HX5V AWB fails miserably indoors yet seems to be dead on outdoors 99% of the time. The ZS7's AWB is better indoors but it fails outdoors much more often than the Sony, particularly in bright areas in which you are shooting towards the sun or where there is an overly dominant color in the picture. Both cameras often choose an ISO setting that is certainly not best for the photo at end when left in iAuto. Anyway, this type of thing is what usually leaves me shooting in Program auto mode on both cams.

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:14 PM   #30

Five-O

Thanks for the post. Yes, I agree that the ZS3 has done as well and better in some instances than the HX5 in our tests thus far. And yes, I agree that the "P" or Programed Auto Mode works best on both cameras.

Then you have to consider that automation from two point of view. For the novice photographer who does not want to be concerned with settings in the camera, and secondly, the enthusiast photographer who wants the convenience that automation brings and is willing to monitor the camera to insure that setting extremes are not chosen by the camera.

I see increased automation as rather exciting. It can meet the need of both kinds of users, the novice and the enthusiast, and the if pretty impressive.

Sarah Joyce