Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:18 PM   #31

I also want to acknowledge, Five-O's input as well.

It was Five-O that got me interested in beginning this thread and doing a side by side comparison. So a tip of the hat to Five-O! Now we will have to work carefully at making the comparison photos as similar as possible.

So fasten your seat belts, folks! I think this will become even more interesting as we move forward.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:44 PM   #32

SGF-

I wanted to add some more information about Automatic Modes. It seems like Panasonic has been listening to your thoughts. I have been doing research on camera automation in preparation for receiving the Panasonic ZS7 tomorrow (04/27).

Panasonic has given their IA Mode on the ZS7 even more access to the ZS7's camera capabilities. Take a look at the attached review excerpt which describes what IA accesses on the ZS7. Panasonic has expanded the amount of technical access substantially.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:44 AM   #33

Time for more photo samples. We had a request for a test that showed how each camera, the Sony HX5 and the ZS3, captured the color red. We used the camera's built-in flash unit for both cameras. The HX5 tended to over expose and offered no Flash Compensation feature. The HX5 also had a dedicated WB for Flash. The ZS3 had much more accurate exposure, and did not have a dedicated Flash WB, so we used Auto WB.

We will begin with the Sony HX5 photo:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:00 AM   #34

Now here is the 100% crop of the HX5 image:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:03 AM   #35

Here is the Panasonic ZS3 photo:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:05 AM   #36

Here is the 100% crop of the ZS3 photo.Comparing the sharpness of the 100% crops you can see that the ZS3 is a bit sharper. The better exposure of the ZR3 is also obvious when comparing photos.

My plan is to begin adding the ZS7 to the comparison shots today (04/27). UPS usually delivers around noon. So, as soon as we can get opened, the battery charged, and camera ready we will be adding the Panasonic ZS7 to this red test, as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:49 AM   #37
SGF

I am one who likes having a camera that can decide all the options needed for a decent photo. I do find on the IA mode with the HX5 this isn't the case as often as I'd like. Several indoor photos came out over exposed like your comparison with the reds. I am going to start using the P mode more often and see what happens. Looking forward to your photos with the ZS7 as that was the other camera I was deciding between before I ended up with the HX5. Hope I didn't make a wrong choice!
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:19 PM   #38

SGF-

I am expecting UPS delivery of the ZS7 in about 2 hours. If that ETA holds, I will have ZS7 samples up by late this afternoon.

Based on what we have seen thus far, the ZS3 is shaping up to be an able competitor to the HX5, we will have to see what the ZS7 does.

Thanks for for your post. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:19 PM   #39

Sarah,

Thanks for posting all of this. I'm very interested to see how the ZS3 and ZS7 compare head to head in "real life" shooting situations. After reading many professional reviews and doing side by side comparisons/pixel peeping, I ruled out the Sony HX5V because it doesn't retain details well at all with noise reduction. I found the pictures to have a "watercolour" look to them. I actually bought a Sony H55B but am returning it because of the same problems (I also didn't like the noise levels in some sample shots).

I think I'm going to buy the ZS7, but am curious to see if I should be looking for the older ZS3 instead.

Truthfully, I think older cameras like the 8 megapixel SX100 beat all of these new superzooms for image quality. Pixel peeping revealed much sharper details overall. Haven't found as much about the SX120. Too bad these cameras don't have a wide angle lens... still very tempting to pick up a second hand one though!
edYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:44 PM   #40

Sarah - thank you for the valuable info and comparative shots.

I am shopping around for a new point & shoot that has a superzoom w/ solid image quality. I bought the HX5 this last weekend & played with it for a few days however, I'm still not convinced this is the right camera for me.

I am anxiously awaiting your comparison on the ZS7, as I have been looking at a few of the Pan Lumix models. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...eferences.html

I would appreciate your input as time allows on a post that details what specs I am looking for.
nlarson is offline   Reply With Quote