Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:20 PM   #41

edyyz-

Welcome to the Forum and to this thread. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The Canon SX-120, or the previous cameras it replaced, like the Canon SX-110 has two drawbacks, they use AA batteries and therefore have a longer shot to shot time, and they do not have a wide angle position on their zoom range.

But assuming that you can work around those two negatives, here is how the Canon SX-110 looks in our image comparison red test. Like the other cameras tested in the Red Test, we used the Canon SX-110's built-in flash unit. The Canon SX-110 does not have a Flash WB, so we used the Auto WB. As with the other cameras tested, we used the base ISO setting, which on the SX-110 is ISO 80. The exposure was slightly under exposed, but the SX-110 shows very good sharpness. And the 100% crop shows good resolution.

Here the first image with the Canon SX-120:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:22 PM   #42

Here is the 100% crop of the above Canon SX-110 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:41 PM   #43

nlarson-

Thanks for your post. Thus far we have had a chance to look at the Sony HX5, the Panasonic ZS3, and the Canon SX-110. We are still awaiting the UPS delivery of the Panasonic ZS7.

As I mentioned previously, my own finances and the poor professional reviews ruled out getting a Canon SX-210.

NEWS FLASH: The ZS7 just arrived. So now I am going to work to get those photos posted, as many folks are anxious to see the ZS7 photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:52 PM   #44

Sarah Joyce --

Thanks for all of this great information, from someone who is STILL on the fence about what camera to buy!

In addition to the image comparisons posted here, I'm sure you know about the "comparometer" at www.imaging-resource.com, which also has some helpful side by side image comparisons. There's also some very helpful side by side comparisons at www.digitalversus.com (I think that's a UK website).

It would be great if someone could jump in and post some images on this thread from the Canon SX210 as well. I know the reviews have been mixed on this camera as well, but some of the photos from the SX210 on digitalversus looked really sharp, especially as compared to the HX5 (which I'm still leaning towards buying).

(I forgot to add: if you go to the Digital Versus website, click on the tab for "Product Face-Offs" for the side by side image comparisons.)

Last edited by opalmom; Apr 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM. Reason: forgot to put in information
opalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:57 PM   #45

OK, Folks-

Here are the Panasonic ZS7 photo samples. As was done with the other cameras in the Red Test We set:

The ISO to the base ISO - ISO 80
The WB was set to AWB because there is no Flash WB
The shot was taken in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode
The ZS7's built-in flash was used

The exposure was spot on, the sharpness was even a bit better than the Canon SX-110, making it the sharpest camera tested thus far. The 100% crop was also the most detailed, which seems to verify the reported sharpness and the increase from 10mp on the ZS1/ZS3 cameras to 12mp on the ZS5/ZS7 cameras.

Take a look and see what you think. Here is initial ZS7 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:59 PM   #46

Here is the 100% crop of the previously posted Panasonic ZS7 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
I am one who likes having a camera that can decide all the options needed for a decent photo. I do find on the IA mode with the HX5 this isn't the case as often as I'd like. Several indoor photos came out over exposed like your comparison with the reds. I am going to start using the P mode more often and see what happens. Looking forward to your photos with the ZS7 as that was the other camera I was deciding between before I ended up with the HX5. Hope I didn't make a wrong choice!
iAuto on the Panasonic will often choose a less than ideal setting as well so it really shouldn't factor into your decision too much. I am able to use it in daylight outdoors but indoors or under dim lighting, it will sometimes choose an ISO setting or scene mode that is not best for the situation. The iA on the Panasonic is reported to be the best in its class (according to a few reviews) but I haven't found it to be much better than the HX5V's in real world application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalmom View Post
It would be great if someone could jump in and post some images on this thread from the Canon SX210 as well. I know the reviews have been mixed on this camera as well, but some of the photos from the SX210 on digitalversus looked really sharp, especially as compared to the HX5 (which I'm still leaning towards buying).
I don't own the SX210 but based on reviews and some user-posted photos, it's definitely a nice camera for photos. It lacks a GPS and the video is reportedly mediocre at best. As is typical with Canon P&S, it also suffers from quite a bit of purple fringing though that has never bothered me when viewing my Canon SD870's pics on my TV or at smaller print sizes. Personally I like Canon's AWB and colors best but I find they are always behind in terms of features and innovation so I often end up going with other brands when I want something ultra-portable.

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 27, 2010 at 3:06 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:44 PM   #48

Thanks for the additional photos from the SX110 and ZS7. Yes, I agree with the drawbacks of the SX110/120/100 with respect to battery type (although AAs are so easy to replace and have extras of, which is handy when traveling), size and lack of wide angle. It's significantly less expensive though (at least here in Canada where the SX120 is $250 and the ZS7 is a whopping $450 at a large box store - we are definitely getting ripped off compared to US pricing given the at par dollar).

Back to the pictures, that ZS7 shot looks great. From what I can tell here, both the ZS3 and ZS7 produce a fine, detailed image. I actually really like that on the ZS7 you can have it on iAuto but still limit the ISO. Too bad that limit only gives you the option of 400, 800 or 1600, since I would have preferred at 200 limit (but 400 isnt bad!).

I've always had canons from back in the day of first gen digital elphs (S200), the SD line (SD300), A series (570is), G series (G2) and digital SLRs (rebel xsi) and have always been very happy with them. I also experimented with a lumix back in the day (the 5mp fx7) which produced nice shots at the lowest ISO but was not so great once that ISO came up. Nice to see what panasonic has really come along now to make a great point and shoot.

Regarding the SX210, I'm sure it's a fantastic camera (have never had a canon that wasnt) but do agree that purple fringing seems to be a big canon issue and pixel peeping on a competing review site seemed to reveal, at least to me, slightly less detail/clarity compared to the ZS7. So I think I'll go with panny this time.

opalmom - I'd have a good look at sample shots by the HX5. I'm sure they produce excellent prints and the camera is great but I know personally I wouldn't be happy with the detail loss/watercolour look to them. Just something worth considering before buying. I was really hoping to go for a sony this time, especially now that they take SD cards, but it still seems that sony has still prioritized heavy noise reduction over detail retention in their most recent group of cameras. I'm not all that surprised though, given Sony's intended target audience (real point and shoot users, likely not photography enthousiasts).
edYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:28 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Sarah,

i expected the ZS7 to do just fine at base ISO, and it did, the leica lens is really sharp. the problem seemed to be as the ISO increased, even as early as iso 200/400 there were reports of high NR and noise.

since you have this scene setup already. you think we could get a couple examples at like 200,400, 800 from the zs7. don't need it from the other cameras really. lots of examples of them on the net.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:31 PM   #50
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Sarah,

i expected the ZS7 to do just fine at base ISO, and it did, the leica lens is really sharp. the problem seemed to be as the ISO increased, even as early as iso 200/400 there were reports of high NR and noise.

since you have this scene setup already. you think we could get a couple examples at like 200,400, 800 from the zs7. don't need it from the other cameras really. lots of examples of them on the net.
That was one of the reasons I purchased the HX5 instead of the ZS7. From viewing samples the HX5 seemed to do better in higher ISO's. I'd also be interested in seeing Sarah's "red" photo in a higher ISO from both cameras.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote