Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:27 PM   #71
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
SGF-

No, I don't want to move backward thank you. You now have ZS7 photos at ISO 200, 400, 800, and using the IA Mode. This is work intensive. I think that should cover high ISO shots.

Sarah Joyce
No one asked you to move backward, least of all me. I was just agreeing with another poster who was looking forward to your ZS7 photos in higher ISO's.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:42 PM   #72

SGF-

I understood the request as to specifically re-shoot the red color test at higher ISO settings. So I guess there was a misunderstanding of words. I am going to continue the test photo samples with HX5 and ZS3 IA Mode ISO 800 shots that match the IA ISO 800 shot from the ZS7.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:47 PM   #73

OK Folks,

This is a test of the HX5:

Shot at ISO 800
Taken in the equivalent of the IA Mode
The built-in flash unit was used
The exposure was F 5.5 with 1/60th on the shutter

The HX5 produced a good exposure and sharpness at ISO 800. There are no outdoor photos yet because it has been pouring down rain for days here in Oregon

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:55 PM   #74

OK, Folks-

Here is a 100% crop of the HX5 photo sample taken using the IA mode and ISO 800. As you will notice the 100% crop looks pretty good an certainly better than ZS3 IA mode shot taken at ISO 800 and cropped to 100%, which is posted after this photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:00 AM   #75

OK, Folks-

Here is the ZS3 photo sample:

It was shot at ISO 800 in the IA Mode
The exposure was F4.9 at 1/60th on the shutter
The built-in Flash Unit was used

The first photo sample compares favorably to the HX5 sample, but the 100% crop is a let down. Again no outdoor photos yet due to the constant rain here in Oregon this week.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:08 AM   #76

OK, Folks-

Here is the 100% crop of the ZS3 photo taken at ISO 800 in the IA Mode. You can see it does not look quite as good as the HX5 100% crop taken at ISO 800 in the IA Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:37 AM   #77

Interesting.. I actually think that the ZS3 100% crop looks better to my eyes. I guess different preferences! Thanks for posting those!
edYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:48 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
That makes the ZS1 selling at Amazon and J & R for $(US)179.00 plus shipping look pretty good. That is unless the GPS is a "must have" for you.

Sarah Joyce
There are a heck of a lot more differences than GPS between the ZS3 and ZS7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edYYZ View Post
That's a good point re:deals on the ZS1/ZS3. If I had access to that one for $179, I'd take it for sure! By the way, what is "J&R"? Have seen it many times but am not sure which store that is.
You can get the ZS1 for $179 at Sams Club also if you are in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchymalaga View Post
First of all, MANY THANKS SARAH! MANY THANKS! Your work is great!

I think it would be very useful if you could make these comparision (HX5V-ZS3-ZS7):

1. ISO comparision,
2. Low light photos (and check if HHT is really useful)
3. Low Light videos ( Hx5v is said is less worse in MP4 and 720p instead of 1080i and AVCHD, but I donīt check it)

At the moment, my first impressions:

Zs3 i s great, Zs7 is a back step, and Hx5v is AWFUL, bad colors, terrible detail, what do you think?
1. This has been done to death. Check the professional reviews.
2. HHT is very useful imho for low-light candid shots. The ZS7 cannot compete in low-light handheld shots With a tripod, both cams perform similarly in low light.

3. The HX5V still suffers from many of the same problems for video regardless of the format used. I won't cover them again as they've already been covered ad nauseam.

I don't agree with your last statement at all. The ZS7 is a step back in IQ but a step ahead on all other fronts. Therefore it is a matter of perspective and what is important to a given individual. This is nothing new though. Anyone who has read a single review of the ZS7 knows the ZS3's IQ is superior and also knows the appeal of the ZS7 are the new features.

Regarding the HX5V, I disagree completely yet again. The HX5V colors are pretty decent though not as vibrant as the Panasonic cams. The reds are also seriously oversaturated. The excessive NR does indeed wipe out a lot of fine detail. The HX5V does not fare as well as the Panasonic cams at lower ISO ranges, but its performance is more even across the ISO range.

Pixel peeping is popular among photography enthusiasts but you need to remember that P&S pocket cams are marketed to the consumer. When printed at 4x6 or 5x7, all of these cams are at the top of their class. You can certainly print 8x10 with the Panasonic cams and the Sony would probably fare ok as well. if you really want to print larger than an 8x10, then you really shouldn't be looking at any of these cameras.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:40 AM   #79

Sarah something wrong with the ISO 200 ZS7 and the ISO 800 ZS7 Crop's looks like they are labeled backwards?

Sarah two questions:

Could you switch the ZS7 to 10 or 8Mp and regain the sharpness?

Also would this give better higher ISO pictures?

I am saying this because it seems everyone beleives the higher MP is degrading IQ in the ZS7? So wouldn't reducing pixels to 10Mp the ZS7 would be more comparable to the the ZS3 in IQ and sharpness...

(I hope you forgive and this is labeled under: "There is no such thing as a stupid question")

Also were all of these shot off a tripod with 10 sec or 2 sec shutter?

Last edited by LTZ470; Apr 28, 2010 at 7:43 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:02 AM   #80

FiveO.

1. This has been done to death. Check the professional reviews.

Aham! More or less this is the start point in the comparision in this thread, in your opinion has been done to death, IMHO it is interesting, because it is made for a experienced amateur who buys cams, who shows her personal job, no obtain money, no conflict of interest...

2. HHT is very useful imho for low-light candid shots. The ZS7 cannot compete in low-light handheld shots With a tripod, both cams perform similarly in low light.

I will appreciate if you can provide me a link to compare ZS7 vs Hx5v in low light conditions, with and without HHT. I only see on Camera Labs images comparisions in HHT, iA modes of HX5v.

3. The HX5V still suffers from many of the same problems for video regardless of the format used. I won't cover them again as they've already been covered ad nauseam.

I donīt care about nauseam problems Seriously, I have read mixed opinions about different quality in Hx5v videos in low light conditions when you use different formats to record, It would be nice to check it, to clear it.

I don't agree with your last statement at all. The ZS7 is a step back in IQ but a step ahead on all other fronts. Therefore it is a matter of perspective and what is important to a given individual. This is nothing new though. Anyone who has read a single review of the ZS7 knows the ZS3's IQ is superior and also knows the appeal of the ZS7 are the new features.

I think here we have the exactly same opinion. I was talking about iQ,(not said) in my opinion should be a very important point in a Photo Cam ( or we are forgetting it is a photo cam )
But I agree with you, ZS7 offers a great package of new very interesting features never seen in Lumix line, but we need to decide if we can lost iQ for obtain these new features ( IMHO the most interesting is PASM more than GPS...)

Regarding the HX5V, I disagree completely yet again. The HX5V colors are pretty decent though not as vibrant as the Panasonic cams. The reds are also seriously oversaturated.

In the cuddly toy photos, IMHO, Hx5v iQ is simply AWFUL, bad colors, oversaturated, not detailed, but your opinion is quite different, and very interesting.
zchymalaga is offline   Reply With Quote