Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:13 AM   #11

Hi Picguy .
thanks for replying me ..the picture are absolutely amazing ..i just want to ask a question about Sony H55 ..I heard that most of the time picture are blurred with this camera .. can u share ur experience ..
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:22 AM   #12

Default H20 v/s H55

Hi All,

Similar to the others, I am as well confused between DSC-H20 and DSC-H55. I am looking forward to the above two more on the basis of professional photography. So please let me know ASAP, as I would need to book it by coming week.

Also, I read few reviews which mentions that H20 doesn't have a wide lens. Will this affect in a big way?

Looking for a quick response.

Thanks to all in advance !!!
azharhussain1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:50 AM   #13

hi azhar
Sony h20 is not having wide lens ..but that is not going to be effect much more ..wide angle lens are require when u r taking group photographs ..
u can check here to see the difference between 25 mm wide angle lens and 38 mm wide angle lens ..
Actually now sony is discontinuing Sony H20 camera ..becoz h55 is upgrade of sony H20 ...
I planned to purchase sony h20 inspite of h55 is having panorama mode ,14 megapixel ,more wider lens and compact ....but my requirement is only crisp and clear photograph which is there with sony H20

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...omparison.html
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:52 AM   #14

azhar-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I believe that it is very important to state initially that the Sony H-20 and Sony H55 are snapshot cameras. Those cameras are NOT professional cameras. Both cameras when used as designed will produce good image quality.

The H-20 is a 10mp camera with 10X optical zoom (38mm to 380mm) It does not have an optical viewfinder or EVF, it depends on the LCD for framing your photo. The H-20 has the best Automatic Mode and the best built-in flash in the compact zoom camera class. The H-20 can also shoot HD video and you can zoom while filming.

The H-55 is a 14mp camera with 10X optical zoom (25mm to 250mm) It does not have an optical viewfinder or EVF, it depends on the LCD for framing your photo. It is the same camera as the Sony HX5, excepting that it uses a CCD imager instead of the CMOS imager found on the HX5 camera. It takes HD video and you can zoom while filming.

In what country do you live, please? That information will help us in making suggestions.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsaman View Post
Hi Picguy .
thanks for replying me ..the picture are absolutely amazing ..i just want to ask a question about Sony H55 ..I heard that most of the time picture are blurred with this camera .. can u share ur experience ..
I haven't experienced a focus problem with the camera. At least not any worse than any other P&S camera I have used. The optical image stabilization appears to be very good on the H55. I have taken clear photos at 10X zoom in less than ideal light with no blurring. If your subject, or person holding the camera, is moving then the problem isn't with the camera. The only complaint I have with the camera is it seems to apply too much Noise Reduction (NR). I wish there was an option to turn off NR in the menu. I saw the same problem with the Panasonic ZS5 I tried out before the H55. I think this is an inherent problem with the new generation of high density CCD sensors used in most 12+Mp cameras.

Also, this camera has what is called an iAuto mode that lets the camera automatically select the scene mode it thinks is the best. This feature works very well and lets the user get many good shots without thinking too much about camera settings. It is a great feature for someone that just wants, or needs, to grab the camera and start taking pictures. It also has a "P" mode and manual mode for those that want more control.

Overall, I think this camera is pretty decent. Especially at its price point. It has a lot of good features that will be useful. The lens is very good for such a huge range. The 25mm wide end is great for many shots and the 10X zoom fills in the gaps for anything else. I have decided to keep the H55 and live with the excessive NR. The overall features of the camera, combined with the excellent price, makes up for its shortcomings regarding image quality. Besides, I have DSLRs for anything I really need to shoot that matters much.

One last thing, the movie mode is very good on this camera. The image stabilization when shooting video is outstanding. I can walk while recording video and it is still very stable. The 720p looks good on out HDTV and the zoom can be used while recording.

Last edited by PicGuy; Apr 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:35 PM   #16

Hi Sandeep & Sarah,

Firstly thanks a lot fot the valuable information. It surely helped in understanding both the cameras..

Sarah,

I live in India, but I am making the purchase from New York. I had read a lot of good reviews about H20 and had even decided to buy the same but suddenly H55 was launched and made me confused. I do understand both are not professional cameras as you rightly mentioned. But I am trying to make a start with photography as a career. And according to my budget and per reviews I felt H20 is good. But then came H55 which put me into a dllemma. I know H20 is no more at the major showrooms in US, but I did find out that its available in few places.

My budget is around $200-$270. What would be your best option and advise for me considering my use? And also, is there any camera from Canon at the similar range and features (especially picture quality)?

I know these are a lot of questions, probably even few foolish ones. But at the end of the day I did not want to make a mistake and hence reaching out to you guys.

Regards,
Azhar
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:44 PM   #17

Azhar-

The H-20 cameras are selling out fast and no more are being manufactured. So it depends on when you are coming to New York. You may, by default, have to settle for the H-55 if you do not act quickly.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:28 PM   #18

Sarah,

Yes I will be making the purchase within a week. My friend would be coming down to India by May end and he would get along the camera.

But before that, I need to finalize the camera. As mentioned earlier if you could just clear my confusion part between H20 or H55 it would be really great.

Azhar Hussain
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:51 PM   #19

Azhar-

You will learn more and get more use from the H-20 with it longer zoom, 38mm to 380mm. However, if you really need a wide angle go for the H-55, knowing that the zoom is only 25mm to 250mm.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:12 PM   #20

Sarah,

Thanks a lot Sarah. I would most probably chose H20 though it is discontinuing from the market. I just hope I am making a right choice, as in Indian rupees it is a huge amount.

Azhar