Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Sony H20 vs Sony H55

Hi friends i want suggestions from ur side that which camera is good in terms of picture quality ..
Here some plus point in h55
1 Wide angle lens compare to H20
2 compact body and no need for lens cover
3 sweep panorama mode which is not there in Sony H20
4 more megapixel but i know it doesnt make that much difference ...

Here again some plus point on H20
1carl zeiss lens comapre to G lens in Sony h55
2 Very good reviews on most of the best websites
3 good manual setting and macro photography
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:36 AM   #2

The G lens is up there with the CZ lens. Sony is slowly moving away for CZ lenses.

But the the wider angle lens would be something nice to have if you take group shots and landscapes.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3

sandeepsaman-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Your post has me scratching my head. The Sony H-20 after reaching an all time low price just after Christmas has begun to once again increase in price as the inventory of the remaining H-20 cameras sells off. The Sony H-20 is no longer being manufactured. Therefore when the existing inventory of H-20 cameras is gone there will only be the Sony H-55 and Sony HX5 models remaining.

The user reviews of the Sony H-55 model has been very mixed thus far. It is what the camera industry calls a "price camera." That means that Sony put it into their 2010 model line in an attempt to appease those who still wanted a CCD imager camera and to have a Sony camer at the $250.00 price level.

Do you own the Sony H-55? If you do, I invite you to post your comments and photo samples in the new thread called, "Compact Zoom Camera Comparison" which I started today (04/25) because there is so much interst in the Compact Zoom Class of cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:48 AM   #4

Hi sarah Joyce ..
Presently i am planning to buy a camera .And i am confused in between H20 vs H55 ..
I belongs to india and in india H20 is 12000rs and H55 is 14500 rs ...
can u suggest me which one should i buy ...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:31 PM   #5

sandeepsaman-

If you do not need a wide angle position on that zoom range the H-20 is the better camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6

thanks sarah
I will go for sony H20 now
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7

sandeepsaman-

Congratulations on your camera choice. I know that you will really like the Sony H-20 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:16 AM   #8

I hope i am not too late replying to this thread.

I had the same trouble to decide whether to go for H20 or Hx5(this just H55+GPS). I had a tough choice because of the price difference. And finally bought Hx5 (with some free gift which made the price less).

When it comes to H20 or H55, It is clearly H55 because of all the features you already mentioned except megapixels. Plus the following,
1. the auto detection mode is excellent. I never had to use any manual setting till now.
2. The burst mode is really good for taking sports pictures.

And more over it is just Rs.2500/- more.
uday.rayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:53 AM   #9

Thanks uday for ur reply
Uday u have purchased HX5V which is execellent camera .in my knowledge it is far better then highly rated panasonic tz7(ZS3) ..

Here i read some review on H55 ..i am not glad that much after reading so many reviews on h55 ..it is like 60 % people like it ..
but when i read reviews on H20 ..it is almost 90 % people liked this camera ...

i wish that i would have got some free coupens like u then surely i will go for Sony HX5v ...
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:04 PM   #10

I purchased an H55 last week for my wife to take on a business trip to Orlando, FL. It has a great feature set such as 10X optical zoom, 14.1 Mp sensor, a fantastic panorama feature, takes SD cards, 25mm wide angle lens, good 720p video with zoom available during recording etc. The image stabilization on this camera is excellent and especially when taking videos. If you are a pixel peeper then you might be a little disappointed. This is the first high density sensor (10+ Mp) P&S I have owned and I think what I see in the Sony H55 is prevalent in most other P&S cameras. It was the case with the Panasonic camera I returned for the H55. I would be happy to answer any questions about the camera.

Here are a few photos my wife took in Orlando. Aside from resizing, these are straight from the camera, no PP and with default camera settings.

Last edited by PicGuy; Apr 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote