Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Entry level DLSR Camera for wildlife photos

Hi everyone, dont have much time at the moment, so I will make this short, for now. First off, I know NOTHING about these cameras, I have always just used the point and shoot cameras. I am interested in getting into wildlife photography, and am looking for opinions on a good entry level camera. I know this is very vague, but will get into it more later. I would need something quit, good in low light, and something that I could take shots out to at least 100 yards or so.
BigDaddy12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2

Canon puts the best autofocus system in its entry level dSLRs so you should look there. The Canon T1i would also do well in low light. The Nikon D90 is also a good choice for that, but the less expensive Nikons wouldn't.

You should look at Canon's 70-300 IS USM. It is fast to focus, and will work well for large birds in flight, large wildlife at a distance, and small and medium wildlife closer. If you need to get smaller birds, or medium sized animals at a distance, you'll need something longer, and that will be a lot more expensive.

Canon has a less expensive 50-250 IS, but it doesn't focus very quickly for what you want to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:21 PM   #3

BigDaddy-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Could a fast focusing super zoom camera do the job just as well ask you are asking, or must the camera be a DSLR camera. My thought was that a camera like the Panasonic FZ-35 or the Fuji HS-10 could give you the "reach" or zoom power at a much lower cost.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
BigDaddy-

Could a fast focusing super zoom camera do the job just as well ask you are asking, or must the camera be a DSLR camera. My thought was that a camera like the Panasonic FZ-35 or the Fuji HS-10 could give you the "reach" or zoom power at a much lower cost.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the welcome! TO be honest, I really have no idea what would work for me. I am very new to this.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
BigDaddy-

Sarah Joyce
Just to show you how green I am to all of this, Can you explain to me the difference between a DSLR camera, a point and shoot camera, and a fast focusing super zoom camera? What does DSLR stand for? I googled the Panosonic FZ-35. Is this camera something that you can buy different lenses for? Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:02 PM   #6

BigDaddy-

Super Zoom cameras have a fixed lens, meaning it is not inter changeable. The Panasonic FZ-35, a super zoom camera, sells right now for around $300,00 and its zoom ranges from 28mm to 503mm.

A DSLR camera uses inter changeable lenses. That means you can select different lenses to use in a changing photo situation. DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. Cameras using the DSLR design are measurably more expensive, and their lenses are equally expensive. To duplicate the lens reach of the Panasonic FZ-35 in a DSLR design camera would require an investment of $800.00+ at a minimum.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:46 PM   #7

Wildlife photography can be easy or challenging. A lot depends on what your subjects are and what your expectations are.

Without doubt, IMO, the biggest decision you have to make is: are you happy with taking photos of animals at rest or do you want to take photos of animals in motion. That is going to be the biggest deciding factor in how much you need to spend on a solution.

For example, the FZ-35 sarah mentioned can provide some absolutely fantastic shots of a bird on a feeder in good light. Want to take shots of animals moving in canopy, at dusk or day-break or birds in flight and the shots you get will start to fall off dramatically.

But to get those shots with a DSLR is not easy either. You're talking some rather expensive gear there. How expensive depends in large part on distance and size of your subject.

So, what types of wildlife are we talking about? Be specific. In many cases it's more challenging to photograph smaller birds than large raptors for instance. And are you ok with animals-at-rest shots or do you want to be able to take shots of them running/flying?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:07 PM   #8

Thanks for the help everyone! Its hard for me to say exactly what kind of wildlife it would be. More then likely, it would be deer, turkey, eagles. As far as wildlife goes, it wouldnt be any bigger then a whitetail, and it might go down to small to medium sized birds. More then likely, it would not be anything moving, or flying. I do like thelooks of the Panasonic FZ -35. The big thing for me, is that I would like something that can reach out to at least 100 yards, is that even possible?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:15 PM   #9

Yes you will be able to reach out to 100 yards with the FZ35, but if you want bigger reach the fuji HS10 has a even longer reach in the megazoom point and shoot. But like all point and shoot, you will give up allot in low light condition compare to a dslr.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:20 PM   #10

Thanks shoturtle! I just got done googling both of these cameras, and even tho I really dont know what to look for, I do like the Fuji a little better.