Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:52 PM   #1

Default Looking to replace my Canon A610

I have a Canon powershot A610. I've had it since 2006, and it has served me well, it is still working. But I am just ready for a new camera. I love the quality of the Canon, and I would like to stick with a Canon. My Mom has a newer Nikon Coolpix, and I HATE it in comparison w/ my Canon. I like the interface of the Canon and I am used to it. I don't do a lot of adjusting, mostly point and shoot and playing with color options. I am used to good quality pics from my powershot A610 and I am looking for comparable photos. I am wanting an ultracompact if I can find a good quality one in the Canon line. I would like to stay under $300. I have been looking at:

Canon SD980
Canon SD940
Canon SD3500
Canon SD780

My main concern is quality photos, as I am due to have a baby in July. I am just wanting a new camera that will last me as long as my a610 that works. I dont know if others consider the A610 fast or slow, but I think it is fast enough for me, and would like to stick with that speed between shots, or better. I am not sure what to pick though!

Thanks!
Angela
starfish2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:15 PM   #2

Each of those are nice replacement candidates for your trusty A610. The SD780 and SD940 (the 780's replacement) are my personal favorites of the bunch, due to their small size, yet great performance and quality.

Since you have some touch screen models in there as well, I'd take a look at which features mean the most to you (zoom, LCD size, camera's actual size, etc.), and choose that model.

Keep in mind that the SD940 is the newer version of the SD780, and the same is true of the SD3500 for the SD980. So, the older (by maybe 6 months or so) SD980 and SD780 should be a bit cheaper, with a few less "bells and whistles" (not many though).

I will note that the SD3500 has a Very responsive touch panel system as well as a cool tap feature; you tap the sides of the camera to scroll though photos in playback.

Good luck, and let us know which you decide. Also, welcome to Steve's!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:13 PM   #3
Super Moderator

if you narrow it down to the 940 or the 780, keep in mind the 940 will give you a better wide-angle lens, the 780 is pretty narrow at the wide-end.

either of the 980 and 3500 have a nice wide-angle lens.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:48 PM   #4

starfish-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

If wanted a budget reliever. Take a look at the Panasonic ZS1, which is the Panasonic ZS3 alternative if you do not need a LCD with 460K pixel resolution, and HD video.

J&R has the ZS1 at $179.00

That is less than the Canon SD models and you get better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

J&R has the ZS1 at $179.00

That is less than the Canon SD models and you get better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
While I agree the ZS1 is a great camera, I don't agree with your statement that "you get better image quality". The ZS1 has image quality that's comparable to the Canon models, but not better. I do however like the fact that is packs a nice 12x optical zoom lens inside its petite frame.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:16 PM   #6

I agree with you, Billy-

In fairness, the image quality between the Panasonic ZS1 and the Canon SD-940/780 is about the same.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote