Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:54 PM   #1

Default Help me decide E600 XSI HS-10 FZ35?

Ok,
So I have read until my brain hurts.
Narrowed down to Oly E600 or Canon XSI
Also considered Fuji HS-10 or Lumix FZ35

All pros are well known for these camera I think.
I will only mention my perceived negatives.
E600 negative is CF and XD cards. Not a huge deal but it is one.
Canon XSI Only neg is price.

For bridge cameras they all have the negative of IQ and DOF
HS-10 So many mixed reviews I simply can't decide. I have seen alot of soft shots and heard many compaints and praises. The glass is a big plus...

FZ35 I am worried Lumix will release a new version and I will be left out.

I am really looking for something around $500 that will be a great family camera as well as something fun to learn and play with. Maybe some birding as well. I must have excellent IQ. Almost considered a Sigma after seeing some shots from the DP1...

Any help is appreciated.
stickboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:01 PM   #2
Super Moderator

If you want shallow DOF when doing anything apart from tight head shots or macro then you need to go dSLR so that has to be your first choice. There is little point going too far until you've worked that out as there are too many variables.

So, creative photography or convenience of a superzoom?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:06 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree, your first step is deciding on the superzoom vs the dslr.

then we can be comparing apples to apples.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:11 PM   #4

CF is faster then sdhc, not really a negative if speed is a concern.

If you are looking for dof and better low light the dslr would be the way to go. XSi is very good up to it's 1600iso max, the e520 is good up to 800iso get noise after that, but you can use some noise reduction software. No problem with shutter lag like with the megazooms. The canon has the better AF system. And DSLR has better IQ.

Megazoom, big reach. Not as much control. Limiting in DOF control about 800iso is the top, with noise reduction in post product you can get a decent picture. But they are a little bit smaller then the 2 dslr mention.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
CF is faster then sdhc, not really a negative if speed is a concern.
Although there is no one that I know of who is going to bump up against any speed issues, especially with the cameras we are discussing. With my Canon 1DmkIII shooting at 10fps I have no issues with either the SD slot or the CF slot, they both give the same results within 5% at least. So this is a non issue for average Joe or seasoned Pro.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:25 PM   #6

I know, just trying to point out that CF is not a negative in reality. I agree, they are pretty equal with 30-45mb cf and my current sdhc class 10 chip is pretty quick very close in performance, In burst mode, I can now run off 24 shots before buffer lag in high jpeg. But since we are now transition over to 600x cf cards at work, they really are much faster then any sdhc card on the market.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:25 PM   #7

Thanks all, The CF vs SD card isn't a major deal.

I was looking at the two lens kit refurb Oly E600 and if I go SLR how does that compare in your opinions to the XSI?
stickboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:33 PM   #8

The oly e600 is a step up against the e520, better sensor. You get better iso performance. So it will get close to the XSi at 1600iso, but the canon will still be better up there. But form 800iso down they are pretty even. The canon has a better AF system. The XSi will give you a bit more DOF control as it is APS-c vs 4/3 sensor size. But the 600 is smaller. The oly is more newbie friendly, better menu interface then the canon. Think the 600 has a swivel screen.

Canon has a slight edge in performance, but the e600 is still a good option. I almost got a e620 over my current canon T1i. As I like the compactness. And the oly has the better jpeg engine, if you are not big into post production editing. Canon has more lens options. Both system have pros and con. Both are pretty evenly match given the different trade offs.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:35 PM   #9
Super Moderator

The Oly E600 is pretty much the same camera as the E620 minus a couple filters and backlit buttons. And the E620 is a solid performer. It has a wealth of features for an entry level camera and the images it produces are very nice.

The XSi does have an advantage at ISO 1600 though, though both are far better than any superzoom or P&S. The XSi has a bit better autofocus system too, which would be noticed really only in sports.

Either would be a fun camera to learn with and would suit your family needs well. The E600 and lenses will be slightly smaller than the Canon.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:51 PM   #10

stickboy-

From my research the E-600 two lens kit is less expensive and physically smaller than a Canon XSi and the Canon 50-250mmIS lens. The E-600 has in body IS.

Does that mean that you have decided to go DSLR instead of a super zoom design?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote