Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Default Sony H1x vs Sony H55 vs Fuji HS10 vs Fuji exr 200 vs Sx1is

Hello!

I've been reading severall post from steve's digicams and I get some really cool informations about the cameras that I've been watching in the web & stores.

But it still remains some confusion/indecision in my head. Rsuming I'm completly lost...

What I really want it's a camera with high image quality (mainly I do portraits,and some scene pics) - Some zoom (20x) & HD video will be a benefit (personaly I think that a camera it's a camera and a camcorder it's a camcorder, so it will be ok for me an average video quality).

I've been watching some cameras:

Sony H1x - really cool camera with cool features (sweep panorama, etc), but a kind of plastic feeling

Sony H55 - really cool camera in a compact size. Whats your opinion about the image quality and general performance?

Fuji HS10 - dream come true or just an camera with 30x zoom and small cmos sensor? I read all the thread about this machine and I get a litlle confused about the general image quality... I've identified some users with problems in IQ
And what about the size of the sensor? is it a small CMOS sensor or just a misunderstoond techology with good image quality.
What are the main issues with this camera? Is it a good camera, or a new camera with problems?

Fuji exr 200 - a good camera, with an innovative sensor but surpassed by hs-10?

Canon Powershot Sx1is - the pics that I saw here are absolutly stunning! I apreciatte the camera size and the features. Opinions please...

Could you give some advices in order to identify the camera with best image quality.

PS. If the fuji hs10 do not have some many issues it will be my first choise (I have a little afraid that because of it's size I will leave it most of the times in the shelf... but in my opinion it's a camera with good features versus good price)
sabino rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2

sabino-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Although you have not indicated it, I am guessing that you do not live in the USA. If I am incorrect, I apologize. But I just wanted to warn you that the prices you see quoted here in the Forum are prices within the USA.

The Sony HX-1 is a 10mp, 20X optical zoom (28mm to 560mm) camera. It was the first CMOS imager camera introduced by Sony on May 2009. Therefore, it will be due for replacement by another super zoom camera in Summer 2010. It also has HD video and you can zoom while filming.

The Sony H-55 is a 14mp, 10x optical zoom (25mm to 250mm) camera. It has a CCD imager rather than the CMOS imager that is used in the Sony HX5 camera. It can shoot HD video and you can zoom while filming.

The Fuji HS-10 is a 10mp, 30X optical zoom (24mm to 720mm) camera. It has a CMOS imager, can do hand sweep panoramas and can do HD video and you can zoom while filming.

The Fuji S-200EXR is a 12mp, 14.3X optical zoom (30.5mm to 436mm) camera. It has a specialized proprietary Fuji EXR imager. When shooting in the EXR mode the camera is effectively a 6mp camera and it takes constant small manual adjustments to get the best image quality from the S-200EXR camera. I would not suggest this camera for anyone who shoots in the Automatic Mode or who does not like to make multiple manual adjustments.

The Canon SX-1 is no longer manufactured. It had 10mp with 20X optical zoom (28mm to 560mm) It also did HD video and you could zoom while filming.

In terms of camera selection a lot has to do with the camera user and his or her photo experience. Therefore to make a valid suggestion, we must ask a few questions please:

Do you normally shoot in the Automatic Mode?
Do you understand how to set-up a camera manually?
What was the make/brand and model of you last two cameras?
What budget have you allowed for this new camera purchase?

The Sony HX-1 is due for replacement in a few months, I would avoid investing in that camera at this time. The Sony H-55 is a camera that currently has received no professional reviews. User reports have been very mixed. If you wanted a camera this size, I would suggest the Sony HX5, or the Panasonic ZS3. but this type of camera has much less zoom that the other cameras mentioned.

I would suggest you avoid the Fuji S-200EXR unless you are a rather experienced and are used to making multiple manual adjustments. The Canon SX-1 is no longer manufactured and I would not suggest it. The Fuji HS-10 is a very complex camera. Experienced photographers can obtain very good image quality, but in large measure the images obtained are dependent of the photographer's experience level.

A camera that I would suggest you look at is the Panasonic FZ-35/38. The camera is sold in the USA as the FZ-35 model, but in other parts of the world it is sold as the FZ-38 model. Both cameras are exactly alike, excepting the HD video run time on the FZ-38 is limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds. I believe the FZ-35/38 might work well for you.

Please answer the questions I have asked and tell us where you live. Then are discussions and camera suggestions can be better fitted to you personal requirements.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 6:08 AM   #3

Hello Sarah,

I'm sorry, but only today I was able to come to the forum and see your answer

Thank you for all the informations that you wrote.

I will try to answer to the questions:

Do you normally shoot in the Automatic Mode?
R: Yes, Usualy I use the Automatic Mode

Do you understand how to set-up a camera manually?
R: I have some informatiosn about how to set-up a camera, but I'm not an expert

What was the make/brand and model of you last two cameras?
R: Casio Z1000

What budget have you allowed for this new camera purchase?
R: About 250-350 eur

...tell us where you live...
R: Portugal

What I'm searching for, it's a camera with the following caracteristics:
(My Casio has an awful image quality. That's why I'm searching for a new camera!)

1- Excellent image quality
2- good zoom(sometimes I like to photograph airplanes)
3- small size

I like to photograph mainly faces (vacations, birthdays, etc) but also do some landscapes and some macro shots.

What do you think about those cameras. Are they a better choice than the other that I mentioned in the previous post?
Fujifilm s2500hd
Fujifilm s2000hd
Canon SX-10 is (I've been seeing some images, and I liked very much)
Samsung wb5000
Samsung wb5500

Considering all the cameras that I mentioned, What is in your opinnion, the best camera in terms of image quality?

Do you recommend another one?

Thanks you very much

Cheers!

Last edited by sabino rui; May 19, 2010 at 6:13 AM.
sabino rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 2:54 PM   #4

i would have considered canon s90...though it has only 3.8x zoom
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote