Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2010, 9:53 AM   #11

Hello again, skylark-

No there is no synchronization problem at all because we are NOT dealing with wires, but the speed of light (192,000mph) that makes it work very well indeed. Naturally, you must have a good light sensor on the Slave Flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hello again, skylark-

No there is no synchronization problem at all because we are NOT dealing with wires, but the speed of light (192,000mph) that makes it work very well indeed. Naturally, you must have a good light sensor on the Slave Flash.

Sarah Joyce
Great! What would you estimate the maximum distance from camera to subject is in order for the slave flash to see enough reflected light to fire reliably? And what brand/model slave flash are you using?

Thanks,
Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:49 AM   #13

Skylark-

The amount of light output is sole dependent on the make and mode of Slave Flash being used as well as the make and the model of the camera. The inexpensive Zeikos brand Slave flash will only add a maximum of 8 feet to the Flash Range, generally speaking for most cameras.

In contrast, the Metz 28CS can add an additional 20 to 30 feet to the Flash Range, generally speaking.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 3, 2010, 3:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Skylark-

The amount of light output is sole dependent on the make and mode of Slave Flash being used as well as the make and the model of the camera. The inexpensive Zeikos brand Slave flash will only add a maximum of 8 feet to the Flash Range, generally speaking for most cameras.

In contrast, the Metz 28CS can add an additional 20 to 30 feet to the Flash Range, generally speaking.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for that info. The Metz 28CS2 seems to be the one to get. Will be down the road a bit though since I just depleted my budget buying a Sony TX7.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 6:43 PM   #15

Congratulations, Skylark-

The Sony TX7 is a very good choice.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 11, 2010, 9:51 PM   #16

Hi again,

I was about to buy the a1100 after confirming that the ones available are indeed with the DIGIC 4 processor. However, the store I visited also had the a590 [8MP, DIGIC 3, 4x optical zoom, IS, video @ 20fps, full manual controls {?}] on offer. The salesman was rooting for the latter. & so now I'm confused again between these two.

The price difference isn't much - say, about 20$ USD. So it boils down to which of the two is the better camera. So which one would you recommend?

TIA.
kidrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 9:54 PM   #17

Kidrow-

The A-590 is the better camera, image-wise, user-wise, and capability-wise.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 13, 2010, 11:35 AM   #18

Thanks for all your help Sarah.

That is a pretty emphatic statement you've made there, & I'll just take your word for it & go in for the a590is. But could you state the reasons for choosing the a590 over the a1100? I need to convince my wife as she's caught up in the whole 'greater the number of megapixels, the better' business. So I was hoping you could state some technical considerations which make the a590 a better camera?

I hope I'm not asking for too much. You've already helped me enough in narrowing down the options & I can totally understand if you choose not to reply. Thanks yet again. God bless!

Edit: Does video @20 fps differ greatly than @30 fps?

Last edited by kidrow; May 13, 2010 at 1:15 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 8:53 PM   #19

Kidrow-

If video is a priority you do not want 20fps, as its to jerky. Stay with the 30fps.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 13, 2010, 9:47 PM   #20

No, video is not a priority but a secondary consideration. Yet, I wouldn't want video that is is too jerky. I'll probably try & get hold of some sample videos to get a better idea.

You've made no mention of any technical specs which make the a590 better, so I'm assuming it's just one of those cameras which looks the same spec-wise on paper, but whose real-world performance is simply better.

Anyways, now I'm off to convince my wife. Here's hoping that the a590 is available by the time I get her around to my POV.

Thanks for all your help.