Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS Rebel T2i vs Nikon D5000

Hi all! I'll say right away that the camera I would like to have is the Nikon D90. I borrowed a friend's D70 and liked it a lot. But, right now, my finances are limited to cameras under $1,000. What I would like to do with a camera is to take photos that I will manipulate (mostly color enhancement), enlarge, and sell. My main interest is in sharp photos with very vivid, bright colors. I'm interested in landscapes as well as macro work. I have read good things about each of these cameras. I like Nikon because of good experiences with the D70, but a lot of photos I see that I really like were taken with a Canon. Does anyone have an opinion about which of these two cameras might be best for me? Thank you!
Angelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:01 PM   #2

The canon is a better low light camera, and have a much faster AF system the then d5000 if action is something you are into. Canon leads the entry level market in the AF department. Also unlike the D90 the d5000 can not use all the nikon lenses. As it requires lenses with motors to Auto Focus. Also if you like taking low light or portraits, the canon will give you less expensive access to fast primes vs the d5000.

Image Quality are about the some, nikon is more aggressive on their noise reduction imho. So the colors seems a bit muted compare to canon.

But if you are into flash photography, nikon has the best flash system on the market.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:03 PM   #3

Also if HD video is not a hugh concern. The T1i would also be an excellent camera and save you quite a bit over the T2i. As they are about the same on the photographic aspect. The T2i has the better HD video system between the 2.

PS the same advantages apply to the T1i vs the d5000 also.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:04 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i would agree. the t2i has an edge over the d5000 in all areas. but does so at a price.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:36 PM   #5

Thanks, you two. Interesting point about the T2i and video. I figure if I want to take video, I'll get a camcorder, so I'll definitely consider the T1. I am also thinking of just biting the bullet and going for the D90 (hey- that's what credit cards are for). But, I am still a beginner. Would it be ridiculous to get a D90 at this point? I felt pretty comfortable with the D70.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:41 PM   #6

Actually I would save the money on the d90 and T2i and put that toward other lenses. Lenses will play a greater roll in the image then the camera itself. The T2i could be a equal camera then the D90. The T1i is pretty close to the D90. And both are better in the low light then the D90.

What do you like to shoot, you may want a zoom lens, if not big into action you can get a t1i with the ef-s 55-250 lens and be still under 930 dollars, giving you enough to get a card and extra battery at below your 1000 budget, and just passing 1000 with a good bag.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:15 PM   #7

I would vote for the T2i if you can swing it. The improved metering over the T1i really makes a difference.
BigCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:19 PM   #8

Comparing the T2i to the D5000 isn't really fair. The T2i has an 18MP image sensor, while the D5000 has only a 12MP sensor. For images you wnat to sell, the 18MP Canon would be a better choice for a >$1,000 dSLR, but you'll need a good lens to go with it, and while the Canon 18-55 is good, it won't do macro, it will barely do landscape, and the 18MP image sensor will make the lens' flaws more visible.

For what you want to do, instead of the T2i, I'd get a T1i with a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5. The Sigma is a better landscape lens, and it does 1:2.3 macro. It's not stabilized, though, so you might need a tripod for your macro work.

But the best kit, I think, would be a Sony A500 or a Pentax K-x with that same Sigma lens. Sony and Pentax put the stabilization in the body instead of the lens, so you won't need a tripod for your macro work, and that same lens will be even wider on the Pentax and Sony that on the Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:13 AM   #9

Wooo- I feel the pressure in my head expanding. It hasn't exploded yet, though. I am going to a local camera shop today to hold each of these cameras and explore the options that all of you have recommended so far.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:17 AM   #10

I shoot the T1i and the pentax k-x, both are excellent camera. Canon has better lens option, and better AF system. Pentax is a little bit better in noise control at the higher ISO's. And the in body IS helpful as no matter what lens you have has IS. But IS is not as important as one may think. It is all about trade off's and compromises as there is not on perfect camera or on perfect lens.