Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2010, 10:03 AM   #11

Jac-

Please post some sample photos! Your is the very first wholly positive Canon SX-210 report we have seen. We continue to hear back reports of poor image quality, especially at full zoom. Thanks in advance for your help.

Flash Edit! I just found some full zoom 100% crops that were pretty impressive from the SX-210 over on www.dpreview.com. I thought I should edit my reply and let people know.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 11:00 PM   #12

Thanks a lt, Jac-

That is a bit better than I expected. The SX-210 photos at www.dpreview.com turned out to be taken using a tripod, so that negated those photos. So we are still searching. Thanks for your help, this was a step in the right direction.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 4, 2010, 9:54 AM   #13

Jac-

Thank you very much! The photos are looking more impressive all the time. Can you confirm these are hand held at at full zoom, please. Thanks again.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 4, 2010, 12:45 PM   #14

JAC, how is the pop-up flash on this camera? Some say the position of it is annoying, and I read somewhere else that the flash was casting a shadow on the bottom right corner of wide angle photos?
Old May 4, 2010, 12:47 PM   #15

Default confirmation

The camera was handheld - for the weather vane photo, with one hand; the building, with both hands. I had the zoom lens fully extended at 14x optical zoom. I did not use the digital zoom, as I figured that definitely would reduce the image quality (as it does for almost every camera).

I was already walking my dog, so carrying and setting up a tripod in addition wasn't really an option. If I could teach him to pull a cart, maybe he can carry it for me next time.

The camera was on "Auto" mode, and the pictures were shot late afternoon/early evening.

Are there any other situations you would like to see photos from? I would be happy to take and post some more if there is something specific someone is interested in.

Edit: I have only noticed a shadow when the subject is very close - really too close for a good photo anyway; and sometimes when using the flash in macro mode in poor light. The flash isn't too bad - just pull it up when you want to use it, or push it down if it's in the way. You can also control the flash through the menu system if you use something besides "Auto" or "Easy" mode.

If you're taking macro photos, it's probably best to use other lighting besides the flash anyway.

Last edited by JAC123; May 4, 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Additional Information
JAC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 3:00 PM   #16

Jac-

Great information both on the hand held zoom and the potential shadow at wide angle and macro mode. I agree with you that macros are much better using natural lighting.

Thanks very much, once again, for all of your kind help and and photo samples.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 5, 2010, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
JAC, how is the pop-up flash on this camera? Some say the position of it is annoying, and I read somewhere else that the flash was casting a shadow on the bottom right corner of wide angle photos?
The pop-up flash isn't so much annoying as it is just difficult to get used to at first, but you eventually adapt to it and it stops getting in the way.

The lens shadow/flash shadow, on the other hand, in my opinion, is very bad. You can be about a meter away from a wall or other object still have the shadow appear in your photo.

Here's a photo album shpwing pics I took that demonstrate the shadow at standard range. Some approach macro range, but others are one to two meters from objects.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/19...is-lens-shadow

If you're in wide open areas like outdoors or away from objects, though, then you're safe from the lens shadow.

It's a real disappointment to me because I've never had to be conscious of where I was standing before snapping a point-and-shoot photo.

Hope this helps.
scroaticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroaticle View Post
The pop-up flash isn't so much annoying as it is just difficult to get used to at first, but you eventually adapt to it and it stops getting in the way.

The lens shadow/flash shadow, on the other hand, in my opinion, is very bad. You can be about a meter away from a wall or other object still have the shadow appear in your photo.

Here's a photo album shpwing pics I took that demonstrate the shadow at standard range. Some approach macro range, but others are one to two meters from objects.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/19...is-lens-shadow

If you're in wide open areas like outdoors or away from objects, though, then you're safe from the lens shadow.

It's a real disappointment to me because I've never had to be conscious of where I was standing before snapping a point-and-shoot photo.

Hope this helps.
Wow, that is actually pretty horrible. My new SX210IS is being delivered tomorrow from Amazon. I guess I will give it a try and then if that shadow turns out to be a problem I will return it. I just can't believe something like that was overlooked! Considering how weak the flash is and how it was apparently designed to be used in close proximity. In some photos the shadow takes up a good 10% of the photo. At first I thought it was a finger in front of the lens or something.

I just may end up returning the SX210IS for the Sony HX5V. Does the Sony have the same shadow problem?
sirdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:53 PM   #19

SirDomino-

The Sony HX5 has no shadow problems. See the Sony P+S folder for almost 250 posts and photo samples.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 5, 2010, 5:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdomino View Post
Wow, that is actually pretty horrible. My new SX210IS is being delivered tomorrow from Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdomino View Post
I just may end up returning the SX210IS for the Sony HX5V. Does the Sony have the same shadow problem?
I have gotten into a lot of heated discussions with photography enthusiasts whom insist that my camera was defective since "theirs doesn't do that" (in spite of the fact that many others' do). I returned my first SX210 a few weeks ago, but ordered a new one just yesterday. I know it will still have the same issue, but I am going to record an in-depth video review showing the design flaw in action. Yes, I am crazy, I know.

I don't know much about the Sony you speak of, but in looking at various pictures of it, it doesn't seem like it would be an issue. What causes lens shadows in pictures is primarily a combination of 1) the length of the lens barrel's extension and 2) the distance between the flash and the base of the barrel. If the lens extends too far, it has the potential to intersect the light path of the flash. If it's neither very close nor very far from the flash (e. g., somewhere in the middle) then it's in a prime position to spill shadowy blackness all over your photos. The OLYMPUS SP-600UZ is a perfect example of good design with its high pop-up flash positioned directly in line with the lens barrel.

You probably didn't ask for all that, but now you know!
scroaticle is offline   Reply With Quote