Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:40 PM   #1

Default Replacement Point N Shoot - SD3500, SX210, ZS7, ZS3 or HX5

I need help identifying the camera that will best meet my 'long list' of desirables! I tested the HX5 this weekend & it met quite a few & I've been watching the threads by mtclimber re: the comparison of SX210, ZS7 & HX5.

Unfortunately, not all of these are available locally so I can't get my hands on them to compare. Any input is highly appreciated!

My preferences include the following:
  • Durability, waterproof (not required, primarily for shooting in the rain)
  • Size, compact and easy to travel with
  • Amazing photo quality, color and sharpness are important to me
  • Great macro ability w/ close range capacity
  • Manual settings, ability to adjust ISO, aperture & exposure
  • Image stabilizer, optical or sensor-shift
  • High optical zoom, => 5 x w/ wide angle (20-28 mm preferred)
  • HD Video, built in HDMI connector
  • Program variety, including macro, color/sepia/B&W etc, fisheye preferred
  • ISO, =>800
  • Strong sensor, CCD preferred if recommended
  • Storage, S/SDHC and internal preferred
SD3500, SX210, ZS7, ZS3 or HX5
nlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:53 PM   #2

nlarson-

Yes, you got the HX5 last weekend. Am I to assume that it did not check the proper boxes?? Perhaps we should begin our discussion at that juncture. Your list is a tough one, there are not many cameras that can even compete. How willing are you to compromise any of those requirements?

You do not mention zoom in your requirements, why not? Perhaps the G-11 is therefore a good choice for you. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:03 PM   #3

Hi Sarah, thank you for the quick reply.

The HX5 performed well in a number of areas including zoom, which is noted in my list at > 5x, preferrably > 8x. I enjoyed the pan feature but was disappointed w/ the limited manual ability.

The size was a bit larger than I had hoped for, not an easy 'pocket' camera, however, it is much easy to manage of course than my SLR.

I realize there is not a 'magic' camera that will meet all of my desires, and some may be compromised. Image quality, zoom and manual ability are three key areas that I desire.

I have enjoyed a # of your posts and have found the photo comparisons to be very gleaming.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:21 PM   #4

nlarson-

Amazon has the Panasonic ZR1 at $185 and it is really small and mostly meets your requirements. 8X optical zoom (25mm to 200mm) very good image quality, the upgrades OIS, and the new processor. Then add in HD video that allows you to zoom while filming, and that is a very good deal.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:22 PM   #5

Ok, I believe I've narrowed it down to Canon SX210 or the Panasonic ZS7 based upon a few new photo postings & comparisons received today.

However, something has thrown in a wrench.....ratings & recommendations from others have tossed in another one to think about.....Casio EXILIM EX-H15, does anyone have any input on the EX-H15 compared to the SX210 & Pan ZS7?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:35 PM   #6

nlarson-

No, I do not own the Casio EX-H15. However, I did find this link to a review.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/47...-ex-h15-review

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlarson View Post
Ok, I believe I've narrowed it down to Canon SX210 or the Panasonic ZS7 based upon a few new photo postings & comparisons received today.

However, something has thrown in a wrench.....ratings & recommendations from others have tossed in another one to think about.....Casio EXILIM EX-H15, does anyone have any input on the EX-H15 compared to the SX210 & Pan ZS7?
The ZS7 and SX210 are both larger than the HX5V and none of the listed cameras are going to be safe to use in the rain. I wouldn't personally buy anything made by Casio based on their track record.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:39 PM   #8

Thank you FiveO & Mtclimber....both of you have been very informative. I will most likely try the SX210 this weeend & then try the ZS7 possibly next week.

I appreciate your input!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:58 PM   #9

nlarson-

I will be interested to hear your opinion of the Canon SX-210.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 1, 2010, 10:15 PM   #10

I bought the SX210 about a week ago. Based on what you are looking for, here are my impressions:

Durability, waterproof (not required, primarily for shooting in the rain)
It seems pretty durable, although not quite as tough as the SD1000 I also have. It is not waterproof - I have not tried shooting in the rain because I am not willing to risk it.

Size, compact and easy to travel with
It is small for what it is, but not ultra-tiny. It is about the size of an iPhone, only about an inch thick. It will fit in a back jeans pocket, but not in the front. In the case, it fits nicely in my small purse (along with everything else I carry in there )

Amazing photo quality, color and sharpness are important to me
It does pretty well for a camera this size. It is not a DSLR, so I hope that is not what you are expecting. I haven't really had a chance to play with all of the settings, but so far I have been happy with most of what I have gotten on Auto. Check professional reviews to get an idea of what "Canon colors" look like, to see if that appeals to you. Sharpness is good if you stand still and take time to focus and compose the shot.

Great macro ability w/ close range capacity
I work with little kids, who think it's necessary to stand 6 inches from the camera while you take their picture. With that, plus the fact that I was inside, I was not expecting much. But most of the photos have still turned out very well - I can zoom in and count the hairs on their heads. The flowers in my yard, who are much better macro subjects, have also turned out very well. One thing that is nice - in some modes the camera will automatically switch to "macro" mode if it detects a close range subject.

Manual settings, ability to adjust ISO, aperture & exposure
I think you can change all of these things, but I have not really had a chance to play with them too much yet.

Image stabilizer, optical or sensor-shift
Several of my pictures have been taken with one hand, while holding an excited 50-lb. dog on a leash in the other. When the dog is just moving (me) a little, the photos come out clear. When he drags me off to chase a rabbit, they don't.

High optical zoom, => 5 x w/ wide angle (20-28 mm preferred)
The 14x zoom is nice, but you have to be very still to get clear photos with the zoom lens fully extended. Using two hands in this case is required, and you would probably get better results with a tripod.

HD Video, built in HDMI connector
It has these features but I have not used them. I think the HDMI-out is a mini; the cable is not included and would have to be purchased separately.

Program variety, including macro, color/sepia/B&W etc, fisheye preferred
The camera has lots of options, but I haven't had a chance to try them all. The miniature effect is fun. Colors can be changed in most modes, but I usually shoot in color and change this on the computer afterwards.

ISO, =>800
It is capable of this, but you might check some professional reviews for info on how it performs at higher ISO speeds.

Strong sensor, CCD preferred if recommended
I'm pretty sure this camera has the same sensor as most of the other current Canon P & S cameras. It is relatively small for a 14 mp camera - I would have preferred 10 mp. Like I said, it's not a DSLR - if you want a larger sensor, the S90 might be one to look at.

Storage, S/SDHC and internal preferred
No internal memory, and no card included, so be sure to get one if you don't have one already. I think you need a minimum of a class 4 SDHC card to take HD video. I managed to get an 8 gb, class 4 card at Target on sale for $20 a few weeks ago (they ran out of the 4 gb card advertised, so they offered me the 8 gb card instead, which I happily accepted).

Good Luck!
JAC123 is offline   Reply With Quote