Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1
LEK

Default Panasonic ZS3 software and LCD problems?

Hello, I need some help deciding on the correct camera. I'm looking for a compact with a big zoom to replace the Canon 710IS which I love. Use it mostly for landscape and wildlife photography while traveling. We like to enlarge some of our travel photos to 8x10 or even an occasional 11 x 14. I had pretty much decided on the Panasonic Zs3 based on most reviews, but I'm not totally commited to it. In reading customer reviews of the ZS3, I am reading that the software is very difficult, and one Amazon customer actually said that you could lose your pictures if you don't use the software in a particular way or if you use different software. Has this happened to anyone? That would be a nightmare, and I'm not very good with software in general. If it is possible to lose your photos while downloading them into your computer, this is definitely not the camera for me! Also concerned about the broken LCD screens that keep getting mentioned on Amazon, has anyone heard of this problem? Apparently in some of the Zs3's the LCD screen suddenly gets lines in it and becomes unreadable. Not so bad if it's a defect that shows up early, and you just replace the camera. Anyone know if this problem happens only when fairly new(factory defective part), or if it can happen a year or two later, which again would be a disaster while traveling. I love my Canon and had assumed I would get another Canon, so I'm a bit apprehensive about switching brands but want the best camera for our needs and the ZS3 seemed very recommended. Really just looking for a big zoom, faster shot to shot than my current camera, and good image quality for enlargements up to 8x10 or 11x14 for an amateur photographer. I'm not that picky since I love the photos from my Canon 710, I just don't want something with lesser image quality or something that will break or software that is unusable. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:08 AM   #2

LEK-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I have owned 2 ZS1 camera and 1 ZS3 camera. Our family travels a lot and these three cameras have served various members of the family as we all enjoy recording our holidays.

We have never had a LCD malfunction after almost a year of pretty rough usage. We prefer to download using an inexpensive card reader (cost around $5.00), and we use Photoshop Elements as our software and have been very pleased with that. We have never lost a single photo and the cameras have been great.

I would have no hesitation in buying another ZS1 or ZS3 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:10 AM   #3

I never use the manufacturer's software as it is typically complete rubbish. I have never lost a single photo. I would imagine that the Amazon poster in question is simply not computer savvy and probably royally screwed something up. I always simply connect the camera and copy to my HDD, then delete from the camera once everything is safely on the HDD. I don't recommend cut/paste because you could lose the photos if you forgot to charge the camera battery for example and it shut off mid transfer. That can happen with any camera.

As for the LCD, the exact issue you mention happened to my Canon camera. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Panasonic in terms of reliability.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:58 AM   #4
LEK

Thanks for the replies. It's actually good to know that other brands can have that problem with the LCD, There were several repeated comments on the Amazon reviews that got my attention mentioning this problem on the ZS3, I didn't see it mentioned on other cameras so I thought it may be a Panasonic issue. Oddly, I haven't seen it mentioned on other customer review websites so I guess maybe it's not such a big problem anyway. As for the software, that's what I would do, just download the pictures so they are safe, and deal with them from there. Glad that isn't an issue, I could see myself losing all my pictures from a trip of a lifetime! Thanks. I see there are several posts on this site on the Zs3 vs ZS7 vs Canon 210 question, I'll read up on those and get more information, I just found this site so lots of new opinions and info here.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote