Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsimplicity View Post
Thanks so much for the photos. I actually received my Sony HX5 a few days ago.. still adjusting to the Sony interface (Most of my cameras have been Canon). Is it just me or is the HX5 very simple in that there are very few manual controls such as setting macro (does it automatically adjust to macro shots in P mode?). I was considering the ZS7 as well but read that the photo quality isn't as good as the HX5. I'm not sure which one of ur photos are from the Panasonic and which ones are Sony. I have a feeling I'll be returning the HX5 though.. most of the photos I took came out blurry even with the IS on.. It would turn out fine after a few more shots (perhaps its the way im taking the photos.. but I had no problem with the Canon s90).
I'm looking for a good point and shoot camera with good photo quality as well as zoom... the Sony's zoom looked promising with its review of good low light photos however, I didn't see it. I'm thinking of switching back to the Canon S90 because it doesn't come out blurry like the sony (when i take the photo) however it lacks the zoom I would like..... can anyone recommend another point and shoot camera with good zoom and image quality? (I heard the zs3 was good in terms of photo quality, zoom, and HD video and not so much the zs7) Thanks.
If you click the 'more info' link on the right side of Picasa, it will tell you which camera was used and some other info about the photos.

The low-light images on the HX5V are good for the size sensor used but not as good as the S90 or cameras with equivalent sensors. You can judge the ZS7 photos for yourself but I am happy with them. I am not a pixel peeper though. I only care what my photos look like at their usable sizes.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:13 PM   #12

This is all very interesting to me, I just bought an HX5V yesterday. We had been considering the ZS7 but bought the HX5V due to having heard that the video and low light capabilities were better and that the FS7 flash was weak. I also bought an HX1 a few days ago (his and hers cameras). It looks to me in your pictures like the ZS7 seems to add an overall greenish tint. The grass looks a little overly green in some pictures, and in the pictures with the house it is most noticeable to me, the white house and the sky seem to have green added. I can't play the audio files without joining or downloading something which I did not do. I'm wondering about how the AVCHD audio was converted to MP3. I do have software to edit AVCHD so I will have to make a couple of movies and process those in it. I have some time to take back the HX5V if I want to, although the store did not have the ZS7.
duallydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:39 PM   #13

duallydave

Congratulations on your new His & Her cameras. Your observation of Panasonic's WB is correct. It does tend to be a bit green.

I am sure that you will enjoy the HX-1 camera. It is a very good camera. And most folks like the color and the WB of the HX5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallydave View Post
This is all very interesting to me, I just bought an HX5V yesterday. We had been considering the ZS7 but bought the HX5V due to having heard that the video and low light capabilities were better and that the FS7 flash was weak. I also bought an HX1 a few days ago (his and hers cameras). It looks to me in your pictures like the ZS7 seems to add an overall greenish tint. The grass looks a little overly green in some pictures, and in the pictures with the house it is most noticeable to me, the white house and the sky seem to have green added. I can't play the audio files without joining or downloading something which I did not do. I'm wondering about how the AVCHD audio was converted to MP3. I do have software to edit AVCHD so I will have to make a couple of movies and process those in it. I have some time to take back the HX5V if I want to, although the store did not have the ZS7.
In some of the pics I bumped up the saturation which does result in much greener grass. This is just a personal preference of mine coming from years of "Canon color." However, all Panasonics do tend to have the occasional cast, particularly towards green as you noted. There is a WB fine adjustment in most modes but I'm not really one for messing with it and prefer to just use AWB or one of the presets 99% of the time.

Conversely, the Sony has a reddish or yellowish tint to many photos. The red cast is obvious in the shot of the white house and the shot of the black SUV. The yellow cast is noted throughout many of the pictures as it gives the grass that neon look. A red cast is historically more pleasant to the consumer and that is why Canon leans in that direction also. The yellow cast is proving to be a bear for Sony as that is the reason many are sending their HX5V's back.

I have kind of come to accept it on both cameras as the one who suffers least from it in the big 3 - Canon - doesn't have the features I want this time around.

I exported the audio from the AVCHD files in Adobe Premiere. FYI, if you play an MP3 from your browser, you are downloading it to your PC as well. It simply goes into a temporary directory instead of one of your storage drives/directories. Just a word of caution from a 12-year PC tech. No need to join anything btw

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 30, 2010 at 3:44 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 12:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
If you click the 'more info' link on the right side of Picasa, it will tell you which camera was used and some other info about the photos.

The low-light images on the HX5V are good for the size sensor used but not as good as the S90 or cameras with equivalent sensors. You can judge the ZS7 photos for yourself but I am happy with them. I am not a pixel peeper though. I only care what my photos look like at their usable sizes.
Ah, got it.. yea i'm not quite a pixel peeper either but when I use the Sony Hx5 the only 1/5 photos seem to come out non-blurry.. I don't think i'll have time to take 5 shots of the same thing for everything I take. Have you used any other camera that you would recommend? More specifically the ZR1 or ZS3? I'm just looking for a camera that would have good IS and low light photos (like the s90) and good zoom.. I'm having a hard time deciding on a camera >.<...thanks
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 12:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsimplicity View Post
Ah, got it.. yea i'm not quite a pixel peeper either but when I use the Sony Hx5 the only 1/5 photos seem to come out non-blurry.. I don't think i'll have time to take 5 shots of the same thing for everything I take. Have you used any other camera that you would recommend? More specifically the ZR1 or ZS3? I'm just looking for a camera that would have good IS and low light photos (like the s90) and good zoom.. I'm having a hard time deciding on a camera >.<...thanks
The ZS3 IQ is slightly better than the ZS7 but supposedly slightly worse than the ZS7. The ZR1 won't be a good low-light performer either.

I presume it's your indoor shots that come out blurry on the HX5? I haven't had any issues with outdoors shots with it. HHT shots come out pretty well with the HX5V - as long as we're talking small prints of course. The ZS7 is very, very difficult to hold still enough for low-light photos without blur. I managed it a couple times as might have seen in the tests but you almost have to stop breathing. Granted, I expected this with the ZS7.

I think you are going to have to give up the zoom or the low-light ability unless you want to a larger camera. The S90 and LX3 would get a nod for low-light and overall IQ but lack the zoom. Now there is one more option. Check out the Fuji F70EXR w/ a 10x zoom. The F200EXR is a bit better but it only has a 5x zoom and at that point, you might as well go back to the S90 and LX3. The Fujis have quite the learning curve and essentially perform best at half their resolution, but they are the only cams I know of that sport both the bigger sensor and a decent zoom. They do not have the greatest IS unfortunately.
Old May 1, 2010, 5:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
The ZS3 IQ is slightly better than the ZS7 but supposedly slightly worse than the ZS7. The ZR1 won't be a good low-light performer either.

I presume it's your indoor shots that come out blurry on the HX5? I haven't had any issues with outdoors shots with it. HHT shots come out pretty well with the HX5V - as long as we're talking small prints of course. The ZS7 is very, very difficult to hold still enough for low-light photos without blur. I managed it a couple times as might have seen in the tests but you almost have to stop breathing. Granted, I expected this with the ZS7.

I think you are going to have to give up the zoom or the low-light ability unless you want to a larger camera. The S90 and LX3 would get a nod for low-light and overall IQ but lack the zoom. Now there is one more option. Check out the Fuji F70EXR w/ a 10x zoom. The F200EXR is a bit better but it only has a 5x zoom and at that point, you might as well go back to the S90 and LX3. The Fujis have quite the learning curve and essentially perform best at half their resolution, but they are the only cams I know of that sport both the bigger sensor and a decent zoom. They do not have the greatest IS unfortunately.
Yea, so far my outdoor shots are fine with the Sony HX5 but I take more indoor photos and they usually come out blurry. When i turn on the Anti-shake option on the camera sometimes it still comes out blurry and the colour seems to reveal a de-saturation of colours. I would have to agree, HHT shots do come out great.. I might have to just go with the s90 (not sure when it stop production.. worried it'll be rare to find after) and accept the 3.8x zoom and no HD video >.<... the lack of IS in the HX5 in indoor photos really breaks the deal for me, quite unfortunate.. I thought this was the camera I would settle with. Thanks so much for the help FiveO!
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 10:57 PM   #18

This is a great thread, I was about to start one just like it. I've been pondering both the ZS7 and the HX5 for the last couple of weeks and today the ZS7 went on sale at Black's photographys so now they're both $399 CAD. I'm going to get both and take them for a test run for a couple of weeks and decide which to keep after I do some shooting that's typical of my usage pattern. The good thing is that both of the stores where I'm getting these have a full refund return policy. I picked up the ZS7 tonight and I'll be getting the HX5 tomorrow morning. Once I get some shooting in, I'll post up a comparison gallery too. Thanks for the info so far, just joined the site today but I'm learning a lot already.
Perihelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 11:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perihelion View Post
This is a great thread, I was about to start one just like it. I've been pondering both the ZS7 and the HX5 for the last couple of weeks and today the ZS7 went on sale at Black's photographys so now they're both $399 CAD. I'm going to get both and take them for a test run for a couple of weeks and decide which to keep after I do some shooting that's typical of my usage pattern. The good thing is that both of the stores where I'm getting these have a full refund return policy. I picked up the ZS7 tonight and I'll be getting the HX5 tomorrow morning. Once I get some shooting in, I'll post up a comparison gallery too. Thanks for the info so far, just joined the site today but I'm learning a lot already.
Welcome. After spending a few weeks I honestly don't have a favorite. I have a clear favorite for each given situation but as my every day camera, I'd have a hard time choosing which better suits my needs. Both are good cams so it's just a matter of which better suits your needs. Have fun!
Old May 15, 2010, 12:02 AM   #20

Well, I can't afford to keep both so eventually one of them or both are going back. I took about 50 low light indoor shots around the house tonight with the zs7 and have had mediocre results. These are similar to house party shots so its an important scenario for me. Can't wait to put the hx5 through the same paces.
Perihelion is offline   Reply With Quote