Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2010, 7:07 AM   #31

^^^^^^That is a great write-up...I had the same findings with HX5 versus ZS7...the ZS7 performed more consistently and I got much better pic's with it..I sent the HX5 back last week with a sigh of relief...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 8:35 AM   #32

We mainly take outdoor pics of the kids sports (baseball, football, soccer), lake activities (skiing, tubing, swimming), and outdoor goofing off. The Sony burst mode is very appealing for these, but not if I can't get a decent picture.

The indoor pictures we take are of kids school events.

Would you feel the same if these were your targets?

This was an EXCELLENT comparison, as like you, I need a point and shoot where I don't have to think about it.

THANKS!
Jan851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 10:53 AM   #33

For video of sports activities, I'd expect there to be some panning as you're likely going to want to keep your kinds in frame. From that perspective, I would choose the ZS7 due to the panning issue I mentioned in the the writeup. I did see the occasional light streak when filming directly into the sun but it seemed to me that it belonged there as all my camcorders do that too. It wasn't a deal breaker for me and I liked the extra clarity. For pictures, I didn't take that many moving shots but both cameras did well for image stabilization. It was windy outside when I took the shots of the tree branch and leaves and those were in motion when I shot them. You can check the gallery to see which one appeals to you more.

For indoor school events I would definitely select the ZS7 and here's my logic. For many of those concert type events, you get one chance to take the shot and the moment passes. Given enough time and experience, I'm sure I could learn to put the HX5 in the right mode to get the great shot but I'd likely miss the moment. On the ZS7, we left it in auto, shut the flash off and just pulled the trigger. Out of 50 or so indoor shots, I got about 40% excellent shots, 50% very good shots, and 10% ok shots that I would want to reshoot. Given that my fiance and I are both using this camera and she's even less experienced than I am, my confidence level of her getting a great shot with the HX5 is low where as she took some great shots on auto with the ZS7. We're starting a family soon so we're going to be taking the same types of shots as you and I'd still recommend the ZS7 for an amateur.
Perihelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 2:38 PM   #34

You all have me drooling over the ZS7, my daughter and son in law gave me the hx5 and I would love to get rid of it. Past time on Amazon to return, so I guess I am stuck.
Quick question on the video, my Panny plasma won't do 720P will the Zs7 or its software output 1080i.
Thanks
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 3:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan851 View Post
We mainly take outdoor pics of the kids sports (baseball, football, soccer), lake activities (skiing, tubing, swimming), and outdoor goofing off. The Sony burst mode is very appealing for these, but not if I can't get a decent picture.

The indoor pictures we take are of kids school events.

Would you feel the same if these were your targets?

This was an EXCELLENT comparison, as like you, I need a point and shoot where I don't have to think about it.

THANKS!
The 10fps works very well and I had no issues getting a clear shot. I have seen some people complain about focus issues and I believe 100% that this is down to user error. As for indoor shots, you can see my comments a few posts up regarding IQ and WB indoors with these 2 cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
You all have me drooling over the ZS7, my daughter and son in law gave me the hx5 and I would love to get rid of it. Past time on Amazon to return, so I guess I am stuck.
Quick question on the video, my Panny plasma won't do 720P will the Zs7 or its software output 1080i.
Thanks
Old Mike
I have a 1080p Panasonic plasma also. Your playback device (Bluray player, PS3, Xbox360, PC, etc.) will upscale the 720p. How good it looks is based largely on the quality of that device's upscaling abilities. The Xbox360 for example has a reputation for doing an excellent job at this. I would probably suggest converting the AVCHD vids to H.264 which will enable you to play them directly on a Bluray player or PS3. If you choose to use a 360, you can stream them from your PC and the 360 will do the upscaling. Alternatively, you can play the H.264 directly from the PC if you can connect it to your TV.
Old May 17, 2010, 3:28 PM   #36

Old Mike,

Do you get pretty good results with your Sony? Pretending that you never read these comparisons!!
Jan851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 3:37 PM   #37

There is no doubt in my mind that the Sony can deliver great photos when used properly. I just didn't invest the time to learn how to do that. I've seen lots of sample photos on this site and others that are amazing from the HX5 but in my brief 3 days with the unit, I didn't succeed in replicating those results. I just found out that my father liked my test unit so much he went out and bought a ZS7 for himself. I'll upload some sample video when I get a chance as a comparions for the same video subjects. If you asked me on Friday which camera I was going to keep, I would have said the HX5 hands down...
Perihelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 5:19 PM   #38

I don't have the following, Bluray player, PS3, Xbox360, using camera or PC over vga, or would get HDMI cable to plasma. I have an older Panny only does 1080i, not 720p or 1080p, 1080i looks good from PC over VGA from PC to Panny PC input. That is my question, the zs7 i believe outputs 720p how can this be upscaled to 1080i.

If I had not seen the zs7 theads still would want to get rid of HX5, do not like the
pictues of grass,birds,tree bark. I have tried every mode to get rid of the softness
at zoom. Even some closeups of grandchilds hair show lack of detail/softness. Showed the hair smearing to my son in law 3 weeks ago, he has good Sony SLR, he said that these cameras make a compromise, well little did I know, I just don't like the photos.
It would be nice for Sony to provide a firmware upgrade but it is not likely, but on the other hand many are returning the camera due to image smearing/softness. I almost think my Coolpix 2000 is sharper. Most short range, or macro shots with the Hx5 are good,I can deal with the indoor WB, just haveing big problems looking at the softness, and no amount of post process that I can do will fix it. Really dont want to PP. I don't even take photos of birds but was shocked when I saw one of mine at 30 feet at full zoom,there is a picture on this site in the Sony forum.
Old Mike

Last edited by mf15; May 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
I don't have the following, Bluray player, PS3, Xbox360, using camera or PC over vga, or would get HDMI cable to plasma. I have an older Panny only does 1080i, not 720p or 1080p, 1080i looks good from PC over VGA from PC to Panny PC input. That is my question, the zs7 i believe outputs 720p how can this be upscaled to 1080i.
If all else fails, the TV itself will upscale it. Typically, TVs don't do nearly as good a job as say a 360 but they will do it nonetheless. There's no legwork for you do though. Just plug and play. Down the road if you decide to get a Bluray player, they have plenty that will play the AVCHD directly from the SD card. I don't have one yet either.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:53 PM   #40

FiveO: Mine will not take a 720p signal, it will upscale 480P but not 720p. It likes to be fed 1080i.
Edit: Actually I just read that the output resolution on the zs7 can be selected as 1080i.
Mike

Last edited by mf15; May 17, 2010 at 6:10 PM.