Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2010, 11:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
...snip... If I had not seen the zs7 theads still would want to get rid of HX5, do not like the
pictues of grass,birds,tree bark. I have tried every mode to get rid of the softness at zoom. Even some closeups of grandchilds hair show lack of detail/softness. Showed the hair smearing to my son in law 3 weeks ago, he has good Sony SLR, he said that these cameras make a compromise, well little did I know, I just don't like the photos. ...snip...
Hi Old Mike,

Just noticed your " I have tried every mode to get rid of the softness at zoom." statement.

That's the same problem I had with a Sony TX7 compact. Sharp at no zoom, soft at full zoom. The TX7 only has a 4x zoom while the HX5 has a 10x zoom, so is it coincidental that your HX5 and my TX7 both exhibited the same softness at zoom?

Here's a link to my post #307 where I posted a side-by-side comparison photo of no zoom to full zoom:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...x5-tx7-31.html

Sky

Last edited by skylark; May 18, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 12:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
FiveO: Mine will not take a 720p signal, it will upscale 480P but not 720p. It likes to be fed 1080i.
Edit: Actually I just read that the output resolution on the zs7 can be selected as 1080i.
Mike
What model do you have?
Old May 18, 2010, 4:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan851 View Post
We mainly take outdoor pics of the kids sports (baseball, football, soccer)
Here are some ZS7 samples I took today using the Sports scene mode.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10843799...7_Action_Shots
Old May 18, 2010, 5:34 AM   #44

FiveO: Its a TH-42PD25 , its 4-5 years old now, many generations.

Skylark: Yes I saw that thread.

Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:09 AM   #45

@FiveO, your dog is beautiful and I really like those action shots.
Perihelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:47 AM   #46

I am also between these two camera. Can anyone upload a video encoded in AVC from the HX5V and the ZS7, preferably of the same thing. I just want to see how the raw video looks on each.

I was at a local camera store and saw that they still had the ZS3 in stock. I had read a few posts that said the ZS3 was better than the ZS7. Is that true?
BPHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 10:59 AM   #47

I'm about to put up a couple of vids when I get home of a tree branch blowing in the wind and a gradual pan of a street on a sunny day from both of these cams. Likely tonight cause I don't have an SD card reader at work or any of my cables. The difference is quite obvious.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post
I am also between these two camera. Can anyone upload a video encoded in AVC from the HX5V and the ZS7, preferably of the same thing. I just want to see how the raw video looks on each.

I was at a local camera store and saw that they still had the ZS3 in stock. I had read a few posts that said the ZS3 was better than the ZS7. Is that true?
Not necessarily the ZS3 still retains the older MEGA OIS and the ZS7 has the POWER OIS like the FZ35...so the stabilization is better on the ZS7...as for as sharpness I posted some shots to clarify as we were getting mixed info on the Z7 being soft, but you will see I handheld a lot of the macro shots easily and I am old and shakey...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...sharpness.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 2:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post

One thing to note about the video for these cams is that the ZS7's stabilizer is considerably better than that on the HX5V. If you hold very, very steady both perform similarly. However, if there is a stiff wind, the HX5V video makes you seasick when you play it back. The problem is made worse by the fact that you can't grip the camera properly on one side because the mic is there. That said, the Sony is 1080i vs the ZS7's 720p.

The ZS3's IQ is marginally better. If you pixel peep or print poster size prints, the ZS3 looks better. If you are printing smaller prints though and looking at the photos at their intended usable sizes, you're not likely to see any difference in IQ at all. The ZS7 has made a number of other improvements over its predecessor and I personally thought they were well worth the trade-off.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:30 PM   #50

Hmm, it seems that my ISP won't let me host .mts files for AVCHD. I guess that's an antipiracy thing. Anyone know of a site that will let me upload my sample files to share them? I started to upload to motionbox which supports .mts but when the timer went up to more than an hour, I had to bail...

Last edited by Perihelion; May 18, 2010 at 9:33 PM.