Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2010, 6:26 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post
I went back to the store and popped in my memory cards to take some videos and pictures. Anyway, i got home and took a look at them. The Panasonic's video seemed a little blurry/distorted when I did any pans, while the Sony was very smooth like a digital video camera. The sound on the Panasonic is MUCH better than the tinny sounding Sony.
A couple notes on the ZS7 video:
- I recommend using P mode and turning NR down -1 or -2.
- it actually handles panning and fast-moving objects better than the HX5V. A few users here have mentioned it and you can see it in the comparison set that was posted on YouTube also. I am not sure why you had a different experience.
- It is indeed inferior to the HX5V video. You can't really argue 1080 vs 720.

Another important note: If you were recording with either cam at the highest quality to a Class 2 card, your results will be invalid. Both cams write their highest quality AVCHD at a speed faster than your memory card. This means some data may not be written to the card resulting in dropped frames and jerky video.

Quote:
In regards to the pictures, I thought they both looked pretty good, but on either camera, when zooming to 100%, there was quite a bit of artifiacting. Im assuming that it could be because I was on iAuto and/or indoors. Can anyone comment on it?

After taking my own samples, I still don't know which one I want to get. :/
Why zoom in 100%? Are you ever going to print at 100%? If so, you're in the wrong camera class. It's fine for the sake of discussion but it has no real world application whatsoever so don't drive yourself nuts looking at 100% crops of cams with such tiny sensors.

You are not going to like what you see with either cam indoors if you blow up the images. The tiny sensors just aren't capable of much without good lighting. They both take a different approach with Sony bumping the NR way up and Panasonic leaving more noise in so the photographer can decide what to do with it.

You'll drive yourself crazy comparing them. I know I did. In the end I chose the one I was leaning towards all along. As much as I love the video competency of the HX5V, the ZS7 is simply a better camera imho. I think that anyone would be happy with either though if they simply choose the one that best suits their needs and accepts the shortcomings that are inherent with these types of cams.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:38 PM   #62

Quote:
I went back to the store and popped in my memory cards to take some videos and pictures. Anyway, i got home and took a look at them. The Panasonic's video seemed a little blurry/distorted when I did any pans, while the Sony was very smooth like a digital video camera. The sound on the Panasonic is MUCH better than the tinny sounding Sony.

In regards to the pictures, I thought they both looked pretty good, but on either camera, when zooming to 100%, there was quite a bit of artifiacting. Im assuming that it could be because I was on iAuto and/or indoors. Can anyone comment on it?

After taking my own samples, I still don't know which one I want to get. :/
I owned them both but will shoot in mostly lighted areas and do not shoot at night (rarely)...if I was going to shoot indoors 90% of the time I would probably choose the Sony with HHT and the Panorama is cool but I think I may have 5 panorama's total out of 1000's of pictures and video, but if I were to shoot that much indoors the G11 or the S90 would be in the bag...a dedicated video camera is the only way to shoot video except for short clips...buy the one that takes the best pic's of what you yourself photograph and you'll end up happier and with more keepers...I really think that there is no end to the ZS7 due to the options of shooting modes (The ZS3 is still going strong) where the Sony is limited and you will run into it's end pretty quick...you were also shooting the video indoors? get the Panasonic outside or in some good lighting where it can "see" better and you'll see a big difference in the video quality and focusing aspect...

In other words I think the ZS7 will not run out of road for a couple of years and the Sony HX5 will be at the end of the road in less than one year I would speculate...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 1:52 AM   #63

I just ordered the ZS7 from Amazon. The price was great ($309, free shipping, no tax) compared to locally ($379+tax).
BPHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 1:22 AM   #64

I took some more pics today with the ZS7. Most of these have been post-processed to a degree (listed in comments).

http://picasaweb.google.com/10843799..._at_DWG_052510

Check out the last image in the set of the waterfall and the caption below it. In very dark conditions, the camera can perform admirably with a tripod or in this case, a handrail.

p.s. HX5V album to follow as my wife has adopted that camera.

Last edited by FiveO; May 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 7:13 AM   #65

That waterfall shot is BEAUTIFUL! You do some great work with a P&S FiveO!
Perihelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:15 AM   #66

I am resurrecting this thread to add another audio comparison of the ZS7 and HX5V. This one was taken last night at the Mercury Lounge in NYC. The difference in quality in unbelievable (and I even forgot to turn off Windcut on the ZS7).

HX5V
ZS7
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:42 AM   #67

I am more impressed by the ZS7 all the time...it is very capable...I see several post about poor low light shooting but it does very well if setup correctly...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:51 PM   #68

I am also starting to see a few people returning their ZS7"s due to what they describe as people shots taken in low light looking like paintings,or some other none satisfaction. I have looked at all the
ZS7/TZ10 photos on Flicker and perhaps on occasion may see what they are talking about.
My question is are there work arounds for this effect, I still have the HX5, whose indoor shots I can live with,if you don't happen to get smeared hair. But not real happy with outdoor shots.
Old Mike

Last edited by mf15; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM.
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:57 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
I am also starting to see a few people returning their ZS7"s due to what they describe as people shots taken in low light looking like paintings,or some other none satisfaction. I have looked at all the
ZS7/TZ10 photos on Flicker and perhaps on occasion may see what they are talking about.
My question is are there work arounds for this effect, I still have the HX5, whose indoor shots I can live with,if you don't happen to get smeared hiar. But not real happy with outdoor shots.
Old Mike
I don't know why this comes as a surprise to those posters. (saw them also at dpreview) The ZS7 and all cameras in its field are not low-light cameras. Without a flash, you are not likely to get good photos indoors. Up to ISO 400, things look pretty good. After that, they get incredibly noisy - but this is noise, not smearing. The ZS7 will smear like mad if you have iResolution on or if you are using iAuto (which is what every idiot seems insistent on using) - which automatically enables iResolution in certain scene modes. iResolution is possibly the worst feature Panasonic has ever designed.

You would think that these people would look at other photos and look at their own and think "hey I must be doing wrong/different." The ZS7 has its limitations but like any camera, I see too many complaints based solely on the iAuto mode. People want the camera to do it all for them and though they have come a long way, they are not get at the stage of full autonomy. Also, tiny sensors just can't work miracles.

We still own both cams. (wife has the HX5V) The HX5V is marginally better than the ZS7 indoors. The ZS7 is considerably better in nearly every other aspect. Go with whichever suits your needs best.

Last edited by FiveO; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:31 AM   #70

^^^^+1 IResolution is terrible just try it for yourself...there may be one situation out of 50 where Iresolution would actually make a difference which = useless...

The ZS is great in good lighting and can manage very well with the flash within it's limitations...

Good to see some returns = cheap buy for me so me and my wife will have one......most of these are OK for me...

Last edited by LTZ470; Jun 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM.