Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:37 PM   #1

Default cannon 50D vs nikon D90 vs canon t2i

First-time forum contributer, so go easy on me, but here's the scoop:

Basically, you can (and I have) piece together different discussions/debates relating to the comparisons of these 3 cameras, but I wanted to hear from the experts as to which one of these 3 really has the best value, longevity, image quality, and room for growth for an aspiring photographer.

Here's the deets:
21 year-old college student/aspiring photographer
Budget: 1200 dollars
Uses: 3 month trip to North Africa in the fall. Will be taking travel photos i.e. portraits, landscapes, night scenes etc. Also want to pursue macro and product photography.

Willing to buy used from retailers such as KEH or others, hence the 50D and D90 being available within the 1200 budget.

So, have at it. Bottom line, 50D, D90, or T2i?

Thanks so much!
doorholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:33 AM   #2

I would not get a used body. Honestly to many things that can possibly go wrong. Lens I buy used allot.

Do you plan on action shoots and sports. If so a 50D will be best of all 3 with the higher burst rate, and better AF system.

But between what you have posted you plan on shooting all 3 will work. But if you go with new the T2i would be the best option for you budget. At least you can get a second lens after getting the camera and kit lens. Like the ef-s 55-250mm IS zoom.

But you may consider getting the T1i instead. That will leave you more money to get higher grade lens like the ef 100 2.8 macro or the ef-s 60 2.8 macro. This way you can do true macro at 1:1 with a tripod.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:19 AM   #3

I think that, with a budget of $1200, you've set your sights a little high for a camera body, and, therefore, haven't left yourself very much for appropriate lenses. The advantage of a dSLR over a P&S is that you can use lenses that are specifically designed for what you wnat to shoot, and you're thinking of a dSLR the way you would a P&S, and that doesn't work. The body doesn't matter nearly as much as the lens(es.)

For your basic requirements ("... 3 month trip to North Africa in the fall. Will be taking travel photos i.e. portraits, landscapes, night scenes etc.") there isn't much reason to choose one camera over another, except possibly the "North Africa" part. You might want to consider a camera and lenses that are weather resistant. The Pentax K-x is a good general purpose dSLR that is weather resistant and has weather resistant lenses avaialble for it. Other manufacturers also have weather resistant models, but they cost more. The Pentax is also well suited for shooting night scenes.

As for your "macro and product photography", I'll say that, for product photography (in a controlled environment, such as a light box) you'll want a short macro lens, but for macro photography (in an uncontrolled environment) you should probably get something longer so you don't block your own light and so you don't frighten animate subjects. For product photography, you can use a tripod, but for macro work you'd probably be helped by image stabilization. Pentax has image stabilization in the camera body, so any macro lens (including macro lenses from third parties) will be stabilized, whereas Canon only has one stabilized macro lens, and Nikon only has two. Stabilization isn't very useful at 1:1 magnification, but at 1:2 having it is a lot better than not having it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. Having a weather resistant camera would definitely be a plus, but every review I've found doesn't mention the K-x being weather resistant or doesn't mention that feature in the review. In one review, in a side-by-side comparison to the K-7, it says that it is not weather resistant. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

So if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction of where that info can be found, I'd greatly appreciate it, because that is a very attractive feature.

Other than that, it sounds like it's a better idea to spend less on the body and invest more in lenses. That being said, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the t2i body or get a ti1 body and an extra lens? Or, get the D5000 with 2 lenses?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:31 PM   #5

the kit lens of the k-x are if you get the 18-55 and 55-200. The 55-300 is not. The k-x body is not weather sealed.

I shoot that camera next to my 500D/t1i

Here is a developing link on a side by side night comparison of the k-x and t1i. More will follow over the weekend.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorholder View Post
Thanks for the input. Having a weather resistant camera would definitely be a plus, but every review I've found doesn't mention the K-x being weather resistant or doesn't mention that feature in the review.
You're right. My mistake. Sorry.

But I think a K-x with the Pentax WR (Weather Resistant) lenses would be a better idea in that environment anyway. (The Pentax kit lenses are NOT weather resistant.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorholder View Post
Other than that, it sounds like it's a better idea to spend less on the body and invest more in lenses. That being said, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the t2i body or get a ti1 body and an extra lens? Or, get the D5000 with 2 lenses?
Money is always better spent on lenses than on bodies.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:49 PM   #7

The Pentax K-7 is weather resistant.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:45 PM   #8

The Pentax K-7 is very intriguing. From the review on here it seems to be the perfect fit for my uses. The pricing is great too, as well as it being weather resistant. Does anyone here have any experience with the K-7 that could offer any further insight?

Thanks so much for your time by the way, it is GREATLY appreciated.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:51 PM   #9

There are lots of people in the Pentax / Samsung dSLR forum that use the K-7. Take a look around in there and see what others are saying.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:05 PM   #10

The pentax k-7 is a very good camera. But with the lens it will be very close to your budget with just one lens. As lenses is something you will want to consider, and the standard kit lens will not be able to cover you whole range you will find that you want to cover.

Or go with a one lens option 850 for the body alone and say the 18-250mm lens at 340 dollars will work at your budget. Just giving up on some on image quality vs a 2 lens solution. It may be a good option for the one month in North America.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote