Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:49 AM   #1

Default it must have neck strap lugs

Hi,

I have no photographic experience except with my little p & s, used occasionally. But I would like to do more. I find just using the wrist strap rather limiting in that I don't like holding the camera in one hand or having to fish it out of a case.

So I looked for a p & s with two lugs for a neck strap. Damned if I can find much at all. So I looked at bridge cameras, only to find that they have ginormous zooms I don't need. So I'm chewing over a second hand dslr.

Let me tell you what I want to do. I go to country houses, arboreta, stately homes, etc and want to record where I've been and what I've seen there. (I'm not very good at cataloging this, by the way). Ideally I'd like to be able to snap a full view of a mansion, take an effective photo of a huge tree in its grounds, then get a close up of its leaves and berries. Photos of the parkland around the houses would be included..

To complicate the matters further, I am not enamoured of lugging around a dslr with a great heavy lens attached. Could I do want I want with a dslr and a 50mm prime lens?

If you find this a bit confusing you ought to see inside my head.......

I'd appreciate help here greatly.

Tony
blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Have you looked at Canon's G11. It is bigger than the point and shoots, but does not have the ginormous zoom of the bridge cameras. It has great control layout, and has a sensor that performs very well in low light for a small sensor camera. It will save you much bulk compared to a dslr and should do the type of work you want admirably. and it has a NECK STRAP

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...11-review.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:43 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply, Hards80. Yes, I can see that the G11 would do me very well, particularly if it were two thirds of its price. Perhaps I will wait for a used one to appear here on the English market.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blister View Post
...I would like to do more. I find just using the wrist strap rather limiting in that I don't like holding the camera in one hand or having to fish it out of a case....a p & s with two lugs for a neck strap....not enamoured of lugging around a dslr with a great heavy lens attached...
Either of my regularly-used cameras (or similar) would fit the bill. My 'bridge' camera, sort of, is a Kodak Z712 (or Z1012), but any superzoom would do, and even if you don't need the long zoom, it adds little to the quite small size & weight. It fits in a very small over-the-shoulder bag, and when ready for instant action out of its bag it hangs round my neck from two lugs, as requested.

My other camera is a little (and elderly) Casio 'point and shoot' (though I use shutter priority, usually) compact (EX-Z750). My family have more modern but similar compact cameras. I merely attach an extra adjustable half-inch nylon strap, which goes round my neck, to the 'wrist loop'. I can have it on a short or long leash, so that it (a) dangles on my chest just as my superzoom or your dSLR would, or (b) goes in the breast pocket of my shirt, where it's just as ready for instant action in seconds.

So I think any small compact would be fine, if you attach an extra neck strap, and buy some shirts with breast pockets.

Good luck!
Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5

Hi there, Tony-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Can we get a bit of expanded information on your plans. Do you plan any interior shots of these lovely mansions? If so that would change your camera requirements somewhat, as you would need a higher ISO requirement to shoot the interiors.

Rather than a camera about your neck, how about a camera that can easily slip into your pocket? That would make you totally free.

I would also think that you would need a nice wide angle position on your camera's lens as well. That is the typical lens for landscape shots. So my suggestion would be the Panasonic ZR1, which sells in the USA for $(US)185.00. It is pocket size, it has a lovely 25mm wide angle lens, and the ISO capability to shoot mansion interiors as well. It also does HD videos and you can zoom while filming, as a bonus.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Super Moderator

if interior shots are deamed necessary, i think it makes for an even stronger appeal to the Canon G11, which can handle the higher ISO's very well.

i think if you get a chance to try one out, you will find it to be the ideal camera for your specific case. it has the lugs for a neck strap, is smaller than any of the superzoom bridge cameras. gives you all the manual controls and abillity to shoot RAW, giving you room to learn more about photography if you so choose, but retains the ability to shoot in point n shoot mode as well. if you ever get the desire to learn more about flash it has a dedicated TTL flash hotshoe for any canon eos system flash.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:58 PM   #7

Dustin-

I agree 100% that the G-11 would be the ideal camera. However, the price of the G-11 is what seemed to put Tony off a bit.

The Panasonic FZ-35/38 is another good option for Tony's proposed use as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:12 PM   #8

Hello All,

Yes, I would like to photo the insides of the country houses, etc, but often we are not allowed to. You see light is the enemy of anything coloured like an ancient tapestry or oriental rug, and the guardians are very aware that flash is harmful. In fact, our National Trust properties are usually so dimly lit that you can hardly appreciate the paintings and wallpapers by eye .

However, we often visit local churches too and we can always snap away in those. So the higher SO would be useful in this case.

Now, you've managed to to give me an good idea. I have tried suspending a p & s from around my neck from one wrist lug but it didn't work well. I'm a doddery old blighter on a stick and the camera swung around too much. But I don't have to suspend the camera itself, do I? I just have to suspend a shaped pouch, from which I could lift the camera with one hand. If the pouch was pinned to my coat the swinging problems wouldn't arise. Dunno why I didn't think of this before.

So, I'll be able to use a compact much more after all. And that Panasonic ZR1 does get good write-ups, doesn't it....

I'm most grateful for your replies. Please accept my thanks.

Tony
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:26 PM   #9

Tony-

I am delighted that we were able to find a camera for you.

Sarah Joyce