Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Baffled and Confused

I currently own an Olympus C8080 and an Olympus Evolt 510. I dislike both cameras. I can ill afford a new camera but, I am so disgruntled with both Olympus cameras, especially the Evolt 510, that I can no longer put up with their poor performance.
I take pictures of my 9 grandchildren, I attend their school functions in gyms and classrooms. I attend family weddings, baby showers, church functions. I need a camera that has a decent zoom, performs well in low light conditions, and, doesn't lag forever and a day between shots (like the Olympus). Kids move. Brides walk down aisles.
I borrowed my nephew's Nikon D90 and I was impressed with its performance. I used it at my grandson's karate class and actually took shots without any blur...I was amazed!! Regardless of what settings I tried, I could never get the Olympus to take a decent action shot. The low light in the hall was also a problem for the Olympus..all my pictures were dark, even WITH a flash on my Olympus...not so with the Nikon..even without an external flash, the pictures were great. So why not just buy the Nikon D90? Well, here's my question...my nephew tells me that the Canon Rebel 15.1 is even better than the Nikon, in his opinion......so what do I do now? Should I buy the Nikon D90? Or the Canon Rebel? Which one is quicker? Which one performs best? I can't afford to make another mistake. I simply can't. I'm so nervous about buying another camera. Please, some kind soul take pity on my and help me decide what to do.
Faith
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2

Faith-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by. Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable.

Yes, the Nikon D-90 is a fine camera with very good high ISO capabilities. I own one myself. You did not mention a budget that you have set for your new camera? You mentioned wanting rapid shot to shot times, as priority.

Both the Nikon D-90 and the Canon T1i (15mp) suggested by your nephew are cameras that when equipped with the necessary lenses will run about $1,000.00+

What lenses do you have right now that you are using on your Olympus E-510? My thought was that you would save some money if you could utilize those lenses on another camera. The Olympus EPL1 has high ISO capabilities up to ISO 2000, and it could use those Olympus lenses.

If your lens requirements are fairly simple, the is also the Nikon D-5000 that has the same ISO capabilities of the Nikon D-90, but at a lower price point. There is also the Pentax Kx model that has excellent high ISO capabilities as well selling for under $500.00 with the kit lens.

So please fill us in on your requirements in more detail and we will see if we can find the right camera for you.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:06 PM   #3

The problem with the e510 is that is it is not good for school functions. It just does not have the iso ability to shoot past 800iso. The E620 would be a bit better at 1600iso. But also the kit lenses are also not bright enough for the lower light conditions.

If you do want to get a good low light camera the T1i would be a good choice. That way you can use the savings form the d90 and put that toward a ef 85mm 1.8 prime. That would work nicely in the low light and bumping iso to 3200 or 6400 will give you fast enough shutter speed to avoid any blurring.

Another option would be the pentax k-x, it is also a great low light camera like the canon it will shoot at 12800iso. And from 3200 to 6400 both are good with the noise. But with the pentax, you do not get a 85mm prime option. You only have a 50mm 1.4 option and a sigma 30mm 1.4 option for bright lenses.

Depending on how low the lighting is you will want a prime lens, as the kit lens are only good up to f3.5 and may not be bright enough even with iso set at 6400.

I shoot both camera. And here is a link of some low light shoots at the higher iso. It is still a developing thread will be posting more low light shots when I get to it this weekend.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:41 PM   #4

Shoturtle-

That is an excellent comparison series, thank you! Well, Faith after reviewing Shoturtle's high ISO photos, you can easily see that the Pentax Kx can hold it own in the high ISO sweepstakes.

What I like is the Pentax Kx is smaller and lighter to handle than the Nikon D-90.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:46 PM   #5

Actually the K-x is even smaller then my 500d/T1i also.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the comparison photo, Shoturtle-

Well, Faith, there is excellent verification that the Kx can hold it own in the high ISO sweepstakes. So that makes the Pentax Kx another contender for you as well.

Based on shooting with the Nikon D-90 how much ISO capability do you really need? Soturtle's suggestion of the Olympus E-620, another good camera, would allow you to use the Olympus lenses you already have if ISO 1600 is high enough for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 1, 2010, 1:30 AM   #7

If I were you I would go for the D90.
You already took shots with it. You liked the camera...;
Before choosing do not forget to go to flickr groups and check the pictures shot by the cameras you are planning to buy.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/kx/pool/page4/

Above the link to the KX flickr pool.

Personally I am waiting for the upcoming sony nex , a small DSLR compact camera.
peter42y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 5:12 PM   #8

Hi Sarah Joyce,
Thank you so much for your reply and your kind welcome. I am trying to stay around the $1,000.00 to $1,200.00 mark - but, frankly, even that is a stretch. The Olympus Evolt is just over a year old and I had planned on it lasting me at least ten years. For some people that might seem unreasonable, expecting a camera to last ten years, but, I am very careful with my equipment. I have two lens (14 - 42mm and 40 - 150mm) and the FL 36 flash unit with the Evolt. I have the FL40 Flash Unit with the Olympus C8080.

I almost bought the Nikon D90 before but was put off by the weight of the camera. I have a muscle disease and although I'm still ambulatory, I do use a wheelchair for distance. I can stand, but weakness can be a problem. However, a worse problem is fiddling with the Olympus and never getting a decent shot. Conditions have to be perfect...no movement, and, then, the picture is fantastic..I'll give it that...but, when are conditions ever perfect unless you're shooting still life and able to compose each shot? I'm photographing children, pets, etc. for Pete's sake. However, since photography is the only thing between me and insanity (that and the computer), my husband is encouraging me to find another camera that makes me happy.

I am so reluctant to buy another Olympus, Sarah Joyce. I'll check into the Olympus EPL1, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for my lens requirements...well, I would like a a good zoom lens....since I am often not able to get right on field when my grandchildren are playing soccer, for example, or move quickly enough, to get out of the way, a good zoom is important to me. And, as I mentioned, a camera that can captured action shots...regardless of what settings I tried, the Olympus just didn't seem to be able to get a decent action shot without a whole lot of fiddling around.
I always love close-ups....macros - My grandchildren are fascinated with macros.
It does seem a wide ranges of requirements, doesn't it? And I hope it doesn't make it impossible to find that 'perfect camera' for me.
Thanks so much for your help, Sarah Joyce.
Faith
Old May 1, 2010, 5:27 PM   #9

Thank you very much for the comparison between the T1i and the Pentax K-x, Shoturtle. The Pentax certainly looks does hold it's own in low light conditions!

You said "The problem with the e510 is that is it is not good for school functions. It just does not have the iso ability to shoot past 800iso. " and that is certainly the understatement of the year. I bought the Evolt 510 at a highly reputable camera shop, explicitly laid out my requirements, ie school functions, soccer games, karate lessons...blah, blah...the clerk (or 'technician' as she was called) seemed knowledgeable, but, sadly, not knowledgeable enough. Or should I say, *I* wasn't knowledgeable enough, because really, it is caveat emptor, isn't it?

This time around, I hope to do better by being better informed, asking the right people the right questions.

Thank you so much for your help. I will look at the Pentax.
Faith
Old May 1, 2010, 5:32 PM   #10

Glad to help.

I will be posting some dim light photo of the pentax and canon at 1600 and 3200 when I get to shoot them. It is where most school and event lighting condition will require. So I will continue my low light thread with at least 2 more shooting situations.