Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2010, 5:19 PM   #11

The T1i and T2i takes great photos. And will look great blown up. And honestly since you have canon lenses, why get another system. I have a t1i and still have a canon eos1 film slr. I use all my film lens on the T1i and they work great.

Here is a link to some of the shots I took last night with the T1i and the ef 50mm 1.4 lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...straction.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 12:56 PM   #12

I think I wrote that in a confusing way. I mean I have a large collection of other people's photos. I don't have a camera.
Angelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 1:20 PM   #13

Okay.

I think that a 2 lens kit will be a good start as you do not have any camera currently. You will find out that the one lens of a t2i or D90 will leave you very short allot of times. So the T1i or T2i would be a package that fits in your budget it seems as it will let you invest in more lenses. And the kit lenses are actually very good.

Also if you do not see yourself going to a full frame camera like a 50DMKII. You will have not lens decision to really consider. As the Rebels will accept any EOS lens just like the 50D. If you were to consider a full frame in the feature, that will only mean that you should get only full frame lenses as you grow your kit. And the Rebel bodies accepts both formats as stated before.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:26 PM   #14

angelove-

back to my previous question: If you budget is tight, why not save a few $$ and consider the Nikon D-5000?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 1:43 PM   #15
Super Moderator

ok, first things first. you seem to be afraid that you may be limited by the less expensive camera bodies. well you can stop worrying about that right now. any of them offer more than enough resolution to enlarge as big as you will want.

the two things that will be a limiting factor will be 1) and most importantly YOU, worry more about your technique and learning to shoot than your camera body, trust me, any of these will outperform you. 2) your lenses. you talk about wide-angle, landscape, and macro, you need the proper lenses for this.

for your type of shooting, spending more on the lenses is much more important. you don't need a fancy body for its fast autofocus or anything like that.

TCAV makes some good points, since you don't really need the fast AF of the Canon's or Nikon's, the inbody stabilization could be a benefit for you.

however for your needs you are going to spend some money.

Pentax KX kit (~550)
wide-angle lens - Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 (cheaper) or Pentax 12-24 f4 (better)
macro lens - Sigma 70mm 2.8 / Sigma 105 2.8 / Tamron 60 2 / Tamron 90 2.8

Sony a500 (~750)
wide angle - Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 (cheaper) or Tokina 11-16 2.8 (much better)
macro lens - Sigma 70mm 2.8 / Sigma 105 2.8 / Tamron 60 2 / Tamron 90 2.8
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 1:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelove View Post
... I'm interested in landscapes, macro, and wide-angle. (Emphasis mine. -TCav)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
If your budget is limited, why isn't the D-5000 in consideration?
Since there are only two macro lenses that will autofocus on a D5000, and they are both pretty expensive, I think that lessens the advantage of the D5000's low price.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 1:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelove View Post
... I have a large collection of photos that I love and would like to emulate, and most of them were done with Canons. Very, very expensive Canons! ...
I think you're too concerned about the gear that was used to create the images you're holding up as ideals, and should be more concerned about the skills and techniques of the photographers that created them. That is not to say that Canon's are not excellent cameras, or that those photographers were worng when they selected those cameras. I'm just saying that, even with the best gear, it will take you years to be able to create images that can survive the same scrutiny that you apply to the efforts of those masters. At this point in your development, your first priority should be to get the gear that will help you on your way, and, most importantly, not hold you back. If you want to shoot macro handheld, a less expensive Canon will hold you back.

Last edited by TCav; May 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 1:59 PM   #18

My suggestion is start out slower, Maggo has show that the canon kit lens ef 55-250mm will do decent macro. So you can hold off a bit before getting one. Also you get a decent wide angle with any of the kit lens that comes with the sony, pentax, canon, or nikon.

Like Hards is saying to you. Do not get caught up with fancy bodies. Lenses are the more important thing. I went from a eos 1, very fancy body to a t1i. And I really do not miss the fast burst rate, for what I shoot now. You will end up spending more money down the line, because as you specialized into one area you will need a lens better suited for that kind of shooting.

So right now it comes down to a camera system. Both the pentax and sony has the body IS advantage, though it is not as great as allot of sales guys make it seem. Canon has the most lens options. And have a very good lens progression path for pretty much ever budget. Nikon is a close second to this department if you get a d90. But as TCav said, with a d5000 the low cost option for some of the things you want to shoot are not available.

Personally right now the Canon T1i or the Pentax K-x are the best suited in your budget.

The reason I shoot canon is that I shoot allot of prime lenses, and the canon lens selection in this department is the most. But I have shot the k-x off and on for 2 months, and it is a excellent system also. And as Mtclimber states, it is a excellent value. BH has the 2 kit lens 55-300 and 18-55 for 680 dollar. That will leave you room to get a good macro or wide angle lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 2, 2010 at 2:28 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 2:04 PM   #19

TCav-

Point well made. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 2:13 PM   #20

And here is some samples of what both the canon t1i and pentax k-x can do in the low light. They offer abilities of the fancier camera is a lower cost package.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html