Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2010, 5:36 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
macro??
LOL, yep, that is one of the new miniature gulls, they are only 1 inch long
Old May 2, 2010, 5:42 PM   #32

Mark,

I did not know you were a bird spotter also. Thanks for the info.
Old May 2, 2010, 5:56 PM   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelove View Post
No! Typo! So sorry! The 50D! I can't edit the original title, but I guess it will grab some attention!
No panic, I've fixed this one for you
Old May 2, 2010, 5:58 PM   #34

But it was a good attention getter Mark!
Old May 2, 2010, 11:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But back to the ef-s 55-250, you get IS and it really does work for macro. Here is the link to Maggo's macro shots with it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...ring-here.html
I was pleased with the results I got with my 1:4 macro 'Beercan' as well, but there's "macro" and then there's macro, and I didn't get macro with it until I added extension tubes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 11:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Perhaps, but for 1:2 macro, having it is better than not having it.

Without question.

As you were telling me, we are not talking Macro, Macro. That will require a true Macro lens at 1:1
Old May 3, 2010, 8:32 AM   #37

Thanks so much, everyone. And it's true that it will take me a very long time to learn to produce the sort of images I would like. I was trying to choose a camera that I could grow with and keep a long time. I have three questions: (1) do the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D have in-body stabilization (I thought that they did, and that is why I wasn't looking at a less expensive one of those brands)? (2) do the same lenses always fit on the D1i, D2i, si, and 50D? (3) Is the advantage of a T1i over a T2i primarily the price?
Angelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:10 AM   #38

Quote:
I have three questions: (1) do the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D have in-body stabilization (I thought that they did, and that is why I wasn't looking at a less expensive one of those brands)?
No. Canon and Nikon rely on optical image stabilization in some, but not all, of their lenses. Those lenses tend to be bigger, heavier, and more expensive than their non-stabilized counterparts. Pentax, Sony and most Olympus dSLRs use sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, so any lens will be stabilized, including 20+ year old lenses on the used market. Though there aren't a lot of used lenses available for Olympus dSLRs, there are plenty for Pentax and Sony (Minolta). And while there are lots of used lenses available for Canon and Nikon, few are stabilized.

Quote:
(2) do the same lenses always fit on the D1i, D2i, si, and 50D?
Some of the lenses that the 50D can use, project a smaller image circle, which is appropriate for the smaller image sensors in APS-C dSLRs, and so won't work as well on 'Full Frame' dSLRs. Canon's lenses that are designed exclusively for APS-C dSLRs are the "EF-S" lenses, and Nikon's are "DX" lenses. If you want to start with an APS-C dSLR, but plan to buy a 'Full Frame' dSLR in the not-too-distant future, you should take this difference into account. But remember that 'Full Frame' dSLRs are, and always will be, bigger, heavier, and more expensive, than APS-C dSLRs, and their lenses are, and always will be, bigger, heavier, and more expensive, than lenses for APS-C dSLRs. Despite the positions taken by some prominent people, there aren't a lot of reasons to use a 'Full Frame' dSLR anymore.

Quote:
(3) Is the advantage of a T1i over a T2i primarily the price?
The T2i has a higher resolution image sensor than the T1i. (18MP vs. 15MP.) The T2i also has a better metering system and has more flexible options for recording video. The T2i can also use the new, bigger SDXC flash memory cards that the T1i can't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:47 AM   #39

Somewhat OT: will an old Canon Speedlite 380 EX be useful in a T2i body?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:49 AM   #40

TCav pretty much answered it.

But keep in mind that sdxc are not really on the market yet. The current sdhc cards go up to 32gb. When SDXC comes out it should let it go to 64gb. If your main goal is HD video the SDXC will give you allot more shooting time, or if you are a RAW shoot it will give you more shot before you have to change cards.