Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2010, 11:43 AM   #11

NiNiKa-

Thanks very much for your post. Based on your desire for enhanced Image Stabilization and vibrant color, with 20% wedding shots, I would be looking at a camera with "in body" image stabilization. Those makes would be Sony, Pentax, and Olympus. With in body image stabilization, every lens you mount on your DSLR with have the advantage of image stabilization. That is a cost saving feature.

Yes, Canon and Nikon have a larger selection of lenses, but the quality of Sony, Pentax, and Olympus lenses, along with third party lens such as Tamron and Sigma are also very good.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 11:50 AM   #12

at bhphoto,they are selling pentax k-x with two kit lens(18-55&55-300) at $680.
nikon d90 with 18-105mm kit lens at $1029.
and canon 550d with 18-55mm at 900&.
which one would u prefer me to buy?? im actually a bit confused as everyone on the net keeps talking about only canon and nikon......so can i take risk to go with less popular pentax??

Last edited by NiNiKa; May 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 12:13 PM   #13

NiNiKa-

I own and use a Pentax Kx. The Pentax Kx two lens kit with the Pentax 18-55mm and the 55-300mm lenses is a real bargain. In addition you get a great camera as well with excellent high ISO capability.

I have used many Pentax cameras and always been a happy user. You need not be worried about quality and dependability.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 12:16 PM   #14

I shoot both the canon and the pentax. And the pentax is a very capable camera. It is very good in low light also. Take a look at a T1i side by side with a pentax k-x in low light

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

I would suggest you save the money and get either a t1i with 2 lenses or the pentax with 2 lenses.

The t1i is about 930 with 2 lenses.
Old May 2, 2010, 2:28 PM   #15

thankx to both of u i think im going to buy myself a k-x.but still i want to bother u a little more.i have two more doubts about k-x.
1) the lcd monitor of k-x is just 2.7" and having 230k dots,which is low comparing to canon and nikon.is it a big prob??and whats about auto focusing in live vies mode??
2)k-x takes aa batteries.i heard that k-x cant show the battery life ACCURATELY.is it true??and some users also said that aa batteries dont last long,they need to be charged everyday.
still k-x is a very good camera,specially for a beginner like me.
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 2:39 PM   #16

now the lcd is fine, I use it for quick check. It is about the same as the nikon d5000.

The AA battery issue was resolved with a firmware update. That was the first thing I did to pentax when he got it. Use Sanyo eneloop AA rechargeable batteries. Get 2 packs of 4 and you are set for a whole day of shooting. About 1000 shots with each full charge.