Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2010, 12:04 AM   #11

T1i, Thanks I really like shooting in very low lighting
Old May 3, 2010, 12:13 AM   #12

Nice night shot! Did you use a tripod or the lens has stabilization? Even at ISO 1600, the shutter was 1/8.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 12:16 AM   #13

No the ef 28mm 1.8 is not a IS lens. Hand held shot. I braced myself against a pole. I have a pretty steady hand I guess

I put some more shots of this boat in the transportation forum.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:18 AM   #14

Well done!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 12:20 AM   #15

Thanks tullio,

This one was slightly overexposed I think. After looking at it, I ev down the others I took.
Old May 3, 2010, 2:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With the ZS3 if you are within 10 ft of your subject it works fine. The Sony has a bit better flash. Both are good upto 800iso, and you can get a workable shot with the sony at 1600 with some post production editing.

I shoot low light allot, without flashes. especially with nightscapes, you are not doing a long exposure. Pretty much rule that out with both the sony and zs3. It will really be noisy. If you are are like a kids school event indoors, like play. Neither the sony or the zs3 will have the low light ability to shoot in that environment.
Hmm.. let's say I wanted to take nightscape shots like the one you posted (great shot by the way!), would you say the HX5 would be capable of shooting something close to that in HHT mode? Apparently it should be a fairly good low light camera.. is the low light nightscape shots from the HX5 really incomparable with the S90's night shots?
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 3:34 PM   #17

xsimplicity-

No, the HX5 could not take a photo like the one posted by Shoturtle. Shoturtle's shot was done with a Canon T-1 DSLR camera at F 1.8 and ISO 1600 with a shutter speed of 1/8th of a second. The HX5 can easily go to ISO 1600, but the widest aperture the HX5 has is F 3.5. So the HX5 would give you a nearly black photo. It is all a matter of the laws of physics. You cannot get enough light through the lens of the HX5 to capture that photo. Even the Canon S-90 would have a problem attempting to capture that photo.

DSLR cameras clearly have greater photo capabilities than any P+S camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 4:50 PM   #18

xsimplicity,

Sorry without manual control the hx5v will not even let you get close. Even the s90 would not be able to get a shot like that. At 2.8, the only way the s90 can do that is to have a long exposure about 1+ second depending on the camera. And still will not be able to have the resolution of that shot.

So if you are looking for night shooting, the s90 can get close with long exposures. But to get that kind of shot hand held, you will need a dslr.

Sorry for giving you more to consider.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
xsimplicity-

No, the HX5 could not take a photo like the one posted by Shoturtle. Shoturtle's shot was done with a Canon T-1 DSLR camera at F 1.8 and ISO 1600 with a shutter speed of 1/8th of a second. The HX5 can easily go to ISO 1600, but the widest aperture the HX5 has is F 3.5. So the HX5 would give you a nearly black photo. It is all a matter of the laws of physics. You cannot get enough light through the lens of the HX5 to capture that photo. Even the Canon S-90 would have a problem attempting to capture that photo.

DSLR cameras clearly have greater photo capabilities than any P+S camera.

Sarah Joyce
Yea, what I meant to ask is how will the HX5 and the S90 perform to take nightscape shots from afar.. not quite the same shot as the DSLR. I guess if I really wanted a clear night shot I would need to grab a DSLR instead of looking for a P&S camera huh? Another question, the HX5 seems to give me a lot of blurry indoor photos, and if I turn on the anti-shake mode it de-saturates my photos and they still come out quite blurry... is this common for the HX5 while taking indoor photos? I think this is the biggest problem i'm having with the HX5 right now. Outdoor photos with zoom come out great, and I usually take photos 50% outdoors and 50% indoors. The S90 has great IS and I am able to take indoor photos with very little blur but sometimes I may need zoom (i'll probably use zoom 60-70% of the time). Here is an example of an S90 nightscape shot I found.. not sure if it was from this forum or not... This is not one of my own shots.
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 6:09 PM   #20

If you look at the water you can easily tell it is a long exposure shot. It is not bad, most likely a 1 sec to 2 second shot at about 400-800iso. That is what I meant that with the S90 and a longer exposure on a tripod you can get some nightscapes, using the manual controls.