Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2010, 7:34 AM   #1

Default SONY HX5V vs CANON SX210 IS

i am really really confused about these cameras.although sony and all the forums talk about the low light video nd everything on sony but videos on youtube clearly show that indoor/low light video quality of the sx210is is much better than sony.i dnt care about the gps or compass.

which has better image n video quality ?? not judging by the specifications given by the company but by actual testing.

the only thing i like in sony is da panoramic feature.which is not thr in canon.and canon is 14MP wid a 14x zoom with HD video n almost everythng tht sony has....even image stabilization right?
plz help....really confused........!!
arnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2

arnav-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delight that you propped by.

Unfortunately, the professional reviews of the Canon SX-210 all complain about the reduced image quality of the SX-210 camera, especially as the zoom focal length is increases. So the SX-210 is NOT a good alternative choice.

Flash Edit! I just found some full zoom 100% crops that were pretty impressive from the SX-210 over on www.dpreview.com. I thought I should edit my reply and let people know.

All P+S camera have a hard time filming video in a low lighted photo environment. A dedicated camcorder will always do a better job. These point and shoot cameras are essentially still camera that allow the bonus feature of taking short video clips.

The best bang for the buck if you want to grade videos, is the Panasonic ZS3, trailed by the ZS7, which has a much higher price. The Sony HX5 struggles in low light with its videos, but does a good job with still photos, whil providing good color.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 2:59 AM   #3

i knw videos are secondary to actual image quality in a camera. Its a bit difficult to let go of the 14x zoom compared to the 10x but if ur sure that the image quality f HX5 is better than the 210IS then i think il go wid sony....!!
thanks.
p.s. i couldnt find the canon 210 IS pics on dpreview.a link would be helpful.

Arnav
arnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4

arnav-

Under more questioning from me, the poster of those 14X optical zoom shots over at dpreview (ken) owned up to the fact that they were taken using a tripod. So at least for now we cannot give the Canon SX-210 a clean bill of health for hand held operations at 14X optical zoom. I found the posting in the Canon P+S Discussions Folder.

In the compact zoom class of cameras , although the individual cameras each have somewhat different specifications, here is a break down by price:

ZS1 $179.00 at J & R and Amazon
ZS3 $240 to $260
HX5 $340
ZR1 $185 at Amazon, but only 8X optical zoom
SX-210 $327 at Amazon, but image quality is still unproven

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote