Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one would you go for?
PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ35 17 85.00%
Sony DSC HX1 1 5.00%
Nikon P100 1 5.00%
canon sx20 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:57 PM   #11

The only issue of the image quality of the s100fs is its cromatic aberration, which doen' t have to do with the sensor, but with the lens, and which can be removed almost completely if you shoot raw.
Regarding the sensor, the s100fs remains by far the best small sensor camera with large zoom excursion ever produced. The Panasonic, although being a very good camera, can't compete with it. You just need to compare the two pages http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110...oup/page14.asp
for the FZ38 and http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...0fs/page11.asp
for the s100fs.
In fact the two camera belong to two different categories: the FZ38 belongs to the superzooms, the s100fs to the now extinct category of the fixed lans cameras that wanted to compete with the dSRL. This gender doesn' t exist any more, wiped out by the new evil cameras.
Of course every dSRL has a better quality of the s100fs (in reality not so much at smaller iso values). But it still costs more and, most of all, is still much larger and heavier (considering all the focal lengths covered by the s100fs).
It takes some time to outgrow a s100fs...!

e.engelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:25 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Yes, the S100fs was an interesting camera in its introduction with that 2/3" sensor and fairly large zoom. and other than the CA it did quite well, better than any compact, but not quite up to aps-c and 4/3 slrs. but its genre of fixed lens larger sensor cams like it and the sony r1 have been a dying breed. (unless you count the upcoming fuji x100 and leica x1 in this category, but they are more of a luxury fixed lens large sensor genre).

the sf100fs is a good cam, and people that own them have been justifiably happy, the CA can be removed in post, and otherwise the image quality is good, and the handling is good.

however, they are expensive at around ~600. that is hard to justify against a micro4/3 or evil camera. you can get the cheaper evil body and kit lens and still have money left over for the panny 45-200 lens for that price. which gives you a bigger and better sensor, better image quality and more flexibility. (not a knock against the fuji, just things have progressed in the last 2+ years)
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:12 PM   #13

If it were me, I would probably choose the FZ-35 for its ease of use and light weight and decent HD video. However, I might pick the Fuji S200EXR as a second or third choice. You can get it for less than $360 from several reputable etailers. It lacks the articulating LCD of the S100fs and has a less of wide angle capability but it seems the purple fringing has been reduced and it takes pretty darned good pictures in low light compared with most other non-DSLR's or EVIL cameras.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:37 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
darned good pictures in low light compared with most other non-DSLR's or EVIL cameras.
no, not even close in low light to EVIL, and nor should it be, the sensor is many times smaller.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:55 PM   #15

You're right. I was in a hurry and should have proofread. What I meant to say was that the S200exr's low light pictures are good compared with most other point and shoots. Of course, DSLR's and EVIL cameras are better in low light. Thanks for the correction.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote