Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2010, 8:17 PM   #1

Default Canon SX210, Panasonic ZS7 or Sony HX5V?

I am looking to upgrade my old P+S. I want an increase in quality of pictures as well as in video. I have narrowed my choices down to these three: Canon SX210, Panasonic ZS7 or Sony HX5V. I messed around with the SX210 and the older ZS3 at a local store this past weekend. As well as I liked the extra zoom of the SX210, the video quality was lacking and seemed to have lower audio quality when playing the videos back on my computer. The zoom flipping up every time the camera was turned on was another turn off. After trying it, the Canon has dropped a little behind the others.

I thought the ZS7 had comparable quality photos and improved video over the Canon, since it uses the AVCHD codec.

Unfortunately, they were out of the HX5V, but I found a few raw videos from the camera on the internet and I have to say I was really impressed with the 1080i video. It sounded pretty good and was very smooth.

What would you guys recommend? How do the videos turn out when burning the to a Blu-ray or just playing the output on a HDTV?
BPHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 9:06 PM   #2

BP-Husker-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The competition is really between the Panasonic ZS3, ZS7, and the Sony HX5. Everyone seems to have their own choice. We have posted comparison photos from all these cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 7:43 AM   #3

Sarah,

This thread - such a popular topic. I really appreciated all the work you did on the comparisons.

After agonizing about this same question, I've been looking through my past photos trying to be very honest about the things I want most about a camera. I've found I dont care about video at all, and I do like zoom. But one thing that doesnt seem to be discussed much, and I havent found specific info on, is macro.

I seem to like to do very close macros surprisingly often, which my S2IS does very well in my limited experience. How do the Hx5 and ZS3 do with macro/supermacro? I read one snippet on the Hx5 that it was poor with macro, given it tries to automate it too much.

I've still yet to find a ZS3 in a store that I can actually play with, so I'm having to just scour for info.
skiesclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 9:21 AM   #4

skiesclear-

As the supplies of the ZS3 dwindle, the ZS3 is going to become harder and harder to find and handle. The best cameras for macro are the Canon S-2, S-3, S-5 and SX-1. They allow the camera to focus, even we the macro subject is leaning against the lens mount.

It sounds like you should be looking for a backup camera for your current S-2, as neither the ZS3 nor the HX5 will focus that closely.

Good Luck!

Sarah Joyce
Old May 4, 2010, 10:34 AM   #5

Ok, thanks I guess I didnt realize just how good my S2 is for all the things I love. Newer isnt always better! Alas, if only it came in a more portable size. Someday...
Old May 4, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6

However, many thanks to you, skiesclear-

While I was browsing around looking at what supplies of Canon S-2 and S-3 camera remain, in case we have some sudden interest generated by your post, I stumbled across a Canon A-650 at B & H that I have been looking for over the past month. I bought it on the spot, and I wanted to that you for the inspiration.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 4, 2010, 10:01 PM   #7

My pleasure.. the least I can do for all of your patient help!
Old May 4, 2010, 10:49 PM   #8

skiesclear-

Here is a S-2 macro I shot this afternoon as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 5, 2010, 10:51 AM   #9

I am curious as to why the Canon SX210IS isn't being discussed, since it was one of the ones that the OP had originally asked about as one of the final choices in considering a new camera.

Why dismiss the Canon SX210IS?
sirdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 12:02 PM   #10

As much as i have certain concerns about the Lumix low light and ultra zoom IQ, i must admit that the Macro capabilities are awesome. This is an example (hand held):

Marker

Zoom Macro

And this is a "creative" use of the Macro:
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote